Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 22:13   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Isn't 1.0 L engine small for this car? Though it is turbo engine, considering size of the car, it will be less for sure. Performance will be strictly average for 1.0 avatar considering it will be heavy car as it's a Skoda. 1.5 L will be good for sure, looks promising for this car.
The 1.0 TSI in the Polo performs better than the erstwhile GT TSI with the 1.2 TSI. It proved almost everybody wrong when it debuted in the Polo/Vento/Rapid. It's expected to compete with the 1.5l NA petrol of the Korean twins which aren't known to set the roads on fire. It's an even competition IMO.

The width and boot space may end up being the spoil sport! We'll know the full details once we get the test drive reports.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 22:52   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The 1.0 TSI in the Polo performs better than the erstwhile GT TSI with the 1.2 TSI. It proved almost everybody wrong when it debuted in the Polo/Vento/Rapid. It's expected to compete with the 1.5l NA petrol of the Korean twins which aren't known to set the roads on fire. It's an even competition IMO.

The width and boot space may end up being the spoil sport! We'll know the full details once we get the test drive reports.
Agree. The 1.0 TSI in the Kamiq has been very well received. The 1.5 TSI may be more powerful and refined but I think the 1.0 TSI will be quite capable.

But yes, the shorter boot (the Kamiq has 400 L) and the many other cost and feature cuts (big and small) vis-a-vis the Kamiq seem to be the result of trying to price it for the Indian market. Am still excited about it being a Skoda and the driving dynamics still being intact. Fingers crossed that the localisation focus doesn't leave us with a poorer cousin of the Kamiq. Desperately hope not!

We will just have to wait on to see the car in the flesh and the verdict from the media TDs and the Team BHP official review.
RPM1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 08:09   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

The 1.0 TSsi engine has been doing duty in the Rapid also with a Torque converter and is quite sprightly. It even beats a Honda City 1.5 Na Manual in a drag race :

If the weight of the Kushaq is comparable to the Rapid it will be as fast. I have a feeling it will actually be a bit lighter than the Rapid as the Rapid is an older gen car and was also designed to carry diesel engines. As the Kushaq is a pure petrol designed car they would have made it lighter
Behemoth is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 08:36   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross-posting from another thread, this is how ŠKODA measures the boot space:

volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 08:46   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Please see this thread and the reality of the Bootspace being offered by the Korean brands.
Don't go by numbers alone as some manufacturers are giving wrong boot space figures.(see the whole thread)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5030425 (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)

A Kia Sonet has a bigger usable boot space than a Kia Seltos and a Hyundai Creta.
A Ford ecosport (350L) and Tata Nexon has a bigger boot space than the Korean Twins.
Also both the Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger have bigger boot spaces than the Korean twins.
Don't go by mere numbers, check the measurements!
People end up buying the car seeing the paper number but when they want to load luggage in the car compared to their previous sedan, they realize nothing fits (happened with me and that's when I started the thread when I realized my Jeep Compass boot is much smaller than my Skoda Laura's!)

Last edited by Behemoth : 26th March 2021 at 08:59.
Behemoth is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 10:24   #456

I strongly believe that Skoda Kushaq is a great car and will change the dynamics for Skoda in India. They have hit a sweet spot with the popular segment, the pricing and the TSI engines being offered. Reducing the central hump (transmission tunnel) made a lot of sense because that is what I believed also bothered a lot people (I used to not like it in the European cars though I got over it and bought a pre-worshipped Vento). VAGs make great cars but because of the pricing of the CBU SUV's, people used to hesitate to even TD the cars.
Now changing the After Sales Service image and growing the network and marketing this change will hold the key.
Old 26th March 2021, 10:38   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The 1.0 TSsi engine has been doing duty in the Rapid also with a Torque converter and is quite sprightly. It even beats a Honda City 1.5 Na Manual in a drag race :

If the weight of the Kushaq is comparable to the Rapid it will be as fast. I have a feeling it will actually be a bit lighter than the Rapid as the Rapid is an older gen car and was also designed to carry diesel engines. As the Kushaq is a pure petrol designed car they would have made it lighter
I have test driven the Rapid 1.0 TSI both manual and Auto. Manual shift was butter smooth and the Auto was a delight to drive with no lag felt at all.

I think Kushaq will weigh slightly higher compared to Rapid (i don't have the numbers), but based on the pre-prod drives, many of the auto journos were quite happy with 1.0L turbo petrol engine
Carz77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 11:37   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

On safety and GNCAP testing of Kushaq!

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 11:41   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Safety

The Kushaq is loaded with safety features such as 3-point seatbelts for all five occupants, 6 airbags, ESC, ABS, multi-collision brake, hill-hold, TPMS, ISOFIX child seat mounts, front and rear parking sensors
Front Parking sensors are not visible in any picture and no auto journalist has mentioned these in any YouTube video as well.

Is it a typo? Kindly confirm!
Old 26th March 2021, 11:43   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Stay with your Jeep Compass booking. The 2 L diesel is quite delightful to drive (in manual version) and also has a decent mileage of 13-14 kmpl. A 2L Tsi will hardly give you 7-8kmpl on petrol. Also between the Tiguan and new Compass I would rate the Compass higher as I found the Tiguan quite spartan in design and the design hasn't changed much over the past 5-6 years..
If the previous Tiguan is anything to go by, then it will be more spacious than the Compass, including boot space.
Old 26th March 2021, 12:10   #461
BHPian

Realistic analysis about Kushaq..!! Regarding boot space, he wrongly mentioned Creta/Seltos boot is bigger by 100 lits, actually it would be 48 lits on paper but difference might be less practically as BHPian Behemoth stated several times in this thread, boot space numbers might be misleading. So, we have to see it in actual before concluding.

Deadpool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 12:54   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshumor View Post
Front Parking sensors are not visible in any picture and no auto journalist has mentioned these in any YouTube video as well.
Is it a typo? Kindly confirm!

While Rear parking sensor are standard the front sensors and rear camera are optional accessories.

Excerpts posed from the press kit from ŠKODA.

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th March 2021 at 12:55.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 13:24   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
On safety and GNCAP testing of Kushaq!

Attachment 2137139
Is this really true ? Do companies have no control on getting their vehicles selected for a GNCAP ? Can't companies encourage or express their interest to GNCAP to test their vehicles ?

As per the below article, it seems manufacturers can send their vehicles for test too.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...sh-test-410355

Some snippets from the above article :

In the event a manufacturer is providing a test car, the model is selected straight off the assembly line by Global NCAP as per a strict internal protocol.

What’s encouraging for us in India is that carmakers have, of their own will, started inviting Global NCAP to test their cars

Carmakers, however, are allowed and encouraged to send an improved or higher-spec car with more safety features for an additional crash test and rating too
viscosity is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 19:14   #464
Senior - BHPian

Is public interest already started fading? We had multiple pages of discussions every day and we can see that it has reduced now to 1 page a day in last 3 days. That is a good sign!
Old 26th March 2021, 19:57   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Is public interest already started fading? We had multiple pages of discussions every day and we can see that it has reduced now to 1 page a day in last 3 days. That is a good sign!
Yes, you are right.

Its very hard to be trending subject in online more than a week. It took just 4 days and people moved on from Kushaq.

Skoda should start media drive (without camouflage) and provide all variants to Youtubers as well to keep the momentum going.

Atleast Skoda should learn this from Kia. When Sonet was launching, Kia gave all its variants to Youtubers and social media influencers. I lost count how many videos I have watched comparing between 2 variants. They kept the hype on boil until they reveal prices.
Karthik.thm is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed