Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 21:44   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Venue, Brezza, Sonet cater to a 'utilitarian segment'. The buyers genuinely need a comfortable car, that can also lug a bit of luggage - with good ground clearance to escape the 'City's lunar landscape' (Main reason). When it comes to Creta, Seltos etc style does creep into the equation. People want to make a noticeable entry. These are purely my thoughts on this, you may differ.
That is not true IMHO. In every segment (starting from Celerio/Kwid segment) people try to get the best in terms of styling, comfort, utility, performance etc etc within the budget they have. Order of priority will vary from person to person but not based on the segment.

Last edited by Guna : 5th April 2021 at 21:45.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 23:04   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
I am sure there would be many others like me not obsessed with just the road presence.
You or should I say rather we, are in the same boat and in minority sir. I am also waiting for Kushaq.

Road presence is like adrenaline during a car purchase. And there are zillions of examples all around us. Rural folks with deep pockets in my geography like to either buy chhalle (rings) waali car Audi or a white fortuner purely because of symbolic value and associated road presence.

With all due respect to objective thinking of our tribe, I am yet to find a reasonable number of folks saying that they bought a Seltos or Creta or Harrier or any car in segments above without giving due consideration to its road presence. Who in this living world wouldn't desire a hot looking car with some oomph and character when you are paying 15 or 20 big ones?
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 17:06   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
It will most likely offer me - better driving dynamics, better rear-seat legroom, a more balanced ride quality, ESC, rear-seat headrests, split seats, better build quality & may offer me more airbags & hill hold etc. for the same price. Things I am really interested in and won't get in a Seltos HTK+. I am willing to trade this for size and boot space. Seltos NCAP rating also weighs on the mind.

ASS and FE in bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic remain the only imponderables for me. But who knows the scale may tilt in Kushaqs favour for me & I am sure there would be many others like me not obsessed with just the road presence.
On the same boat as you. I have been in the market for a good car at 10-12 lacs price point. The few legit options I had, given my use case, were the Nexon, XUV3oo and Ecosport. But with Kushaq I see another car that might get the basics right (Ride, Safety and Performance). Don't really care too much about fancy features or blings. If this one gets something extremely wrong I've finalised XUV as my fallback option.

To mention the Korean twins or few others, I had a bad experience which made me feel cheated by these brands. Seems like customer's well being is not in the minds of these brands. My Father-In-Law bought a Seltos base diesel as a retirement treat for himself thinking this would be his go-to car for highway trips and touring across the country in his golden days. The 3 star NCAP rating and unstable shell rating just put the entire family in scepticism about his plans. He drives ever so cautiously these days post spending 12 lacs.

Rant alert: How can you make a car, call it an SUV and a highway car without making a stable body shell? Isn't everything else just a gimmick if the basics you need from a vehicle are absent? It's borderline unethical IMO.

Last edited by Zenboi : 9th April 2021 at 17:18. Reason: Copy related errors
Zenboi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 10:49   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

The confusing K----Q's from Skoda!

Quote:
The Skoda Kushaq is the latest addition to Škoda’s global SUV lineup. It’s based on the Volkswagen Taigun, which uses the same platform of the European Skoda Kamiq and Seat Arona. However, the Kushaq and Taigun use a dedicated platform for the Indian market (MQB A0 IN).
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:19   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The confusing K----Q's from Skoda!
Among various "K"s and "Q"s, here's the story of how Kodiaq got it's name:-
(maybe, this could go into the Kodiaq thread)
Quote:
The new SUV from ŠKODA, which will make its debut in the second half of the year, has been given a name that is as strong as a bear – Kodiaq. Because in the language of the native Alutiiq people, this is not only the name of their Alaskan island, but also the world’s largest brown bear. And this is the perfect namesake for a large and powerful SUV from the Czech Republic, with a protective nature, a strong sense of family and a high level of outdoor expertise
Source. Goes back 5 years, though.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 13:34   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Kushaq : Price reveal in June, 'DYNAMIC' test(media) drive also in June. Deliveries to begin in July

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:27   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Polo GT is close to 10 lacs ex showroom Bangalore (Highline Plus manual is 8.4). If Kushaq or Taigan is available for 9 lacs (ex showroom), I can see many potential buyers of Polo TSI switching to one of these cars. Agree that Polo is a hot hatchback with it's own advantages but with the same money you get a car which is nearly equally fun to drive but which is also modern and practical. I myself have been thinking about the Polo GT for sometime but now a competitively priced Kushaq/Taigun can open up new possibilities
The new Polo is expected to come in and if that comes in where will the car sit in terms of pricing. If SUV or tall car model is driving consumer preference, it will be better for VW to price the Taigun 1LTSI below 10 L and 1.5L TSI above 15 L and the GT close to 18L. What ever are the features are loaded in any hatch, it will need to sit with 4-8L price bracket to sell and drive volumes. disruption of the hatch segment. Between all the SUVs with out 4WD are costly hatches IMHO
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:03   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgotten about Kushaq ? Skoda releases its features through a video:

volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:23   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Forgotten about Kushaq ? Skoda releases its features through a video:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=kH0p...C5%A0KODAIndia
Whoever wrote the music score for this needs a lesson or two in originality. This is just a twisted version of Sirius - Alan Parson's project. Even the beginning note is the same as are the rhythm arrangements!

Skoda - I hope your copyright department is aware of this.
NevGin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 00:48   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Kushaq : Price reveal in June, 'DYNAMIC' test(media) drive also in June. Deliveries to begin in July
The lethargy in Dynamics from Skoda will definitely result in Static sales count.
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 05:32   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenboi View Post
Rant alert: How can you make a car, call it an SUV and a highway car without making a stable body shell?It's borderline unethical IMO.
What if the Seltos had never been tested yet? Your family would have happily been touring around isnt it? I suppose your family seniors have experienced cars like Ambassadors, Padminis, 118NE, Esteem et al on occasions. The Seltos and indeed most of todays cars are much safer then those. And there are a nunber of untested but popularly assumed well-built cars on sale as well. So relax and let your FIL enjoy his drives with the smoothest , easy going diesel engine on offer . I am sure at his age he would be much more careful than most drivers on the roads driving 5 star gncap rated cars like maniacs.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 15th April 2021 at 05:34.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:38   #522
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
You or should I say rather we, are in the same boat and in minority sir. I am also waiting for Kushaq.

Road presence is like adrenaline during a car purchase. And there are zillions of examples all around us. Rural folks with deep pockets in my geography like to either buy chhalle (rings) waali car Audi or a white fortuner purely because of symbolic value and associated road presence.

With all due respect to objective thinking of our tribe, I am yet to find a reasonable number of folks saying that they bought a Seltos or Creta or Harrier or any car in segments above without giving due consideration to its road presence. Who in this living world wouldn't desire a hot looking car with some oomph and character when you are paying 15 or 20 big ones?
I am in the club of not swayed by the road presence factor. I've just only 2 categories: Sensible & Non-sensible driving, never mind whether the car is Audi or 800 DLX
Old 15th April 2021, 20:28   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
What if the Seltos had never been tested yet? Your family would have happily been touring around isnt it? I suppose your family seniors have experienced cars like Ambassadors, Padminis, 118NE, Esteem et al on occasions. The Seltos and indeed most of todays cars are much safer then those. And there are a nunber of untested but popularly assumed well-built cars on sale as well. So relax and let your FIL enjoy his drives with the smoothest , easy going diesel engine on offer . I am sure at his age he would be much more careful than most drivers on the roads driving 5 star gncap rated cars like maniacs.
I agree that the present-day cars are safer than the Ambassadors or Padminis. At the same time, the road conditions and speeds of today necessitated more safer cars. If someone is worried about Seltos' safety considering today's road conditions, I believe they have a valid point.

I liked the Seltos when I took it for a test drive. I dropped the plan and am waiting for Kushaq/Taigun only because of the safety aspect.
Bhargav7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 22:03   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
If someone is worried about Seltos' safety considering today's road conditions, I believe they have a valid point.

I liked the Seltos when I took it for a test drive. I dropped the plan and am waiting for Kushaq/Taigun only because of the safety aspect.
My limited point is that any rating is always evolving.The Punto was rated 5-star back in '09 or so and spawned a popular, almost legendary belief about the sturdiness of the Punto/Linea platform. I was also sold on it. But the same car is zero-star rated as per a Euro NCAP testing done in 2017.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 23:36   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
My limited point is that any rating is always evolving.The Punto was rated 5-star back in '09 or so and spawned a popular, almost legendary belief about the sturdiness of the Punto/Linea platform. I was also sold on it. But the same car is zero-star rated as per a Euro NCAP testing done in 2017.
This was because the criteria for rating a car 5 star is getting tighter each passing year. Back in 2009, there was nothing called pedestrian safety, no points were given for driver and passenger seat belt reminders. There's a lot not existed at that time that might be required now for a car to gain a rating. Just having a stable body shell, that can withstand the crash without impacting the cabin is not the only ask today.

Believe me, when I drive around in my Baleno on the highways even though with the utmost care, I always have this thought in the back of my mind, what if some Tom, Dick and Harry banged in my car, will I be able to survive the crash and come out alive. Driving in constant fear takes away all the joy one wants to have while driving.
Highh5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed