Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 00:58   #526

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
What if the Seltos had never been tested yet? Your family would have happily been touring around isnt it? I suppose your family seniors have experienced cars like Ambassadors, Padminis, 118NE, Esteem et al on occasions. The Seltos and indeed most of todays cars are much safer then those. And there are a nunber of untested but popularly assumed well-built cars on sale as well.
Here comes the proverb - Ignorance is bliss.

No testing standards or mandates, I believe is the root of all evil we are discussing. There are no standards to ensure that safety standards keep evolving and keep up with other aspects of the vehicle. You and me are left to our own devices to figure out which car will keep us safe in case of a crash. Sometimes we rely on the Automaker's promises, owner subjective reviews, and seldom, better methods, (like NCAPs) to help us make an informed choice.

No dispute that the Seltos is better in safety as compared to older cars, but the keep-up is required with today's performance specs, average road speeds, number of cars, highway speed limits, etc at today's 12 Lac rupees.

My limited point is that without the function of safety, Seltos shouldn't be claimed to be a highway/touring car. That's like saying I bought a racecar with an 80kmph top speed and that's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
I agree that the present-day cars are safer than the Ambassadors or Padminis. At the same time, the road conditions and speeds of today necessitated more safer cars. If someone is worried about Seltos' safety considering today's road conditions, I believe they have a valid point.

I liked the Seltos when I took it for a test drive. I dropped the plan and am waiting for Kushaq/Taigun only because of the safety aspect.
I totally agree, safety has to be relative to today's performance requirements and performance specs and not relative to cars from 20yrs back. We don't compare engine performance or comfort features that way, why should you do that with the most important function of a highway vehicle (safety)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
My limited point is that any rating is always evolving.The Punto was rated 5-star back in '09 or so and spawned a popular, almost legendary belief about the sturdiness of the Punto/Linea platform. I was also sold on it. But the same car is zero-star rated as per a Euro NCAP testing done in 2017.
Vehicle Technology evolves, and one would need to keep up too (If you want to continue being on the road that is). A car is only good for 10-15 years today but not more than that. After 15 years it's not just the safety that'd have become outdated but performance, handling, comfort, etc. that'd not be able to keep up with 15 years later car. In fact, this is one of the core principal how vehicles are sold - keep updating, keep selling.
Zenboi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:24   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Kushaq to debut new infotainment system in India.

Quote:
The VW Play infotainment system made its debut on the Volkswagen Nivus four-door SUV coupe last year. Developed jointly by Volkswagen Brazil and automotive component maker Visteon, it features a 10.1-inch touchscreen that has a 1540x720 pixels resolution. The system also gets a split-screen setup and doubles as a rear-view camera monitor.

The Play system features a variety of downloadable applications globally, and for India, it will have built-in ones like Gaana.com, among others. It will also have user-defined profiles, offering a long list of personalisation options.

Live-streaming of music and audio podcasts via SIM-based internet access (likely to be an eSIM), along with in-car Wi-Fi, are also expected on the Play system in India. It will have a “Valet mode” where owners can block all details via a passcode before giving the vehicle to the valet. Connected vehicle tech and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be available as well.

Link (Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview)
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:27   #528
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kushaq spotted driving on the public roads

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20210422102359_youtube.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20210422102411_youtube.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20210422102424_youtube.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20210422102440_youtube.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20210422102507_youtube.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20210422102525_youtube.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd April 2021 at 10:31.
Venkatesh is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:38   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Got to say, Skoda has got the physique of this vehicle executed really well! And boy, the way she glides over the undulations on the road, I'm sure the car is going to be a trendsetter in the segment for suspension comfort.
Up here in the northern part of the country, a major reason for the Kushaq to sell will be the Kodiaq-ish silhoutte and the mental sentiment of many people driving a supposedly much more premium and expensive vehicle amongst Cretas and Seltos' on the roads!
Nice move in the game, Skoda!
Piyush19 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:41   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

With Skoda Octavia launch postponed, expect a delay in Kushaq's launch too!

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-1.jpg

Source: ŠKODA
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:00   #531
Team-BHP Support

Typical lovely understated Skoda looks, but that video also clearly shows the small road presence IMHO!

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20210422115107_youtube.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:20   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Typical lovely understated Skoda looks, but that video also clearly shows the small road presence IMHO!

Attachment 2147397
I never realized this until I saw the Bajaj towering over the Skoda. It does look small but smart and purposeful too. Reminds me of the Yeti, another wonderful car from the Skoda family!
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:10   #533
BHPian

Looks smart no doubt. Well executed design with a good presence !

When on road, other drivers will envy the elegance of this car for sure and Kushaq will never look dated even after a decade.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:10   #534
BHPian

Quote:
]
That's a Bajaj Maxima which is nearly 1800 mm tall - to put in perspective that's 10 cm taller than Harrier and just 3.5 cm off the Fortuner.

So not an apt comparison pic imo.
JishD is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:30   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Typical lovely understated Skoda looks, but that video shows the small road presence IMHO
Exactly what I thought too. To me, it looks like it will be identical to Venue and Sonet in road presence

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd April 2021 at 15:31.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:41   #536
BHPian

I may be against the general sentiment but I actually like the fact that it doesn't appear wide/huge/imposing.

I like that VW & Skoda have embraced a more cross-over ish look for this rather than trying to appear as a butch SUV. A smaller footprint yet decent legroom at the back is an absolute win in my books for our cities with crazy traffic and tight parking spaces.
Shreyas_H is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:42   #537
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2147397
Echo the sentiment - the wheel arches with the tyres set within the outside edge, also does not help. A bit of negative offset for the alloys or wider rubber would go a long way to improve the stance, in my opinion.
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:45   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
I may be against the general sentiment but I actually like the fact that it doesn't appear wide/huge/imposing.

I like that VW & Skoda have embraced a more cross-over ish look for this rather than trying to appear as a butch SUV. A smaller footprint yet decent legroom at the back is an absolute win in my books for our cities with crazy traffic and tight parking spaces.
Yea - but they can't/won't say that (call it x-over) as they would like to charge you Creta-money for the same.
But you got a very valid point over there.
kedar_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:22   #539

I think this colour was not publicized in March. At that time only Grey, Silver, White, Orange and Red were announced. Anyway this shade goes very well with the design .
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:46   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Yea - but they can't/won't say that (call it x-over) as they would like to charge you Creta-money for the same.
But you got a very valid point over there.

True.
Also, I have a feeling Skoda could have garnered more appreciation and interest had they pitched it straightaway as a Premium Crossover rather than claiming to be an SUV/Creta rival (most probably with the pricing in mind like you said) and then under-delivering for the Road presence obsessed majority.

Glad that it looks premium. Keen and hoping to see the Red/White Kushaq on the road in similar videos soon. Thank you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd April 2021 at 16:52. Reason: Please add spaces after punctuation marks, not before. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks