Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 11:20   #691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
I think you mean the Kushaq? You’re not the only one having difficulties due to VW and Skoda’s naming strategy.

This is not a sub 4m SUV, though. This over 4.2m and will compete with the Creta. You’re right that the rear of the car ends abruptly like the XUV300. Personally, I like it as I prefer boxier rear ends as compared to the coupe-ish rear ends of some of the new Crossovers.
Oh goodness! I'll have that edited, thanks!

I prefer these cars ending slightly boxy too, given that I'm not a fan of how the T-Roc slopes down, gives a very hatch like cue to it. Maybe it's even the design cues like the thin quarter glass and things like that, or maybe this slope is a bit too upright. had they managed something slightly more even looking, it'd be nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
First of all this thread is about Skoda Kushaq and not Karoq, then the length of skoda Karoq is 4382 mm and the length of Kushaq is 4225 mm. There's no dodging of any kind.

Absolutely! i accept my mistakes, Apologies. But now that it's clear that the Kushaq competes with the Creta, it accentuates my point even further about the side profile.
They could have done it much better. Personal opinion.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th June 2021 at 12:17. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Arnav612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 11:41   #692
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

You don't need to apologize! blame Skoda or VW group as a whole for their stupid naming convention!

Kushaq, Karoq, Kamiq, Kodiaq
Taigun, Tiguan, Tayron, Tacqua, ...bla bla
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 12:41   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
Absolutely! i accept my mistakes, Apologies. But now that it's clear that the Kushaq competes with the Creta, it accentuates my point even further about the side profile.
They could have done it much better. Personal opinion.
No worries mate, there are so many people on this thread who compare Kushaq with Brezza, Nexon and other sub 4 meters cars that it's getting tiring to explain it to them that being 10 cm shorter doesn't mean the car is from a lower segment.

But I agree with you, the car in the side profile does look a little weird from the back, like the car is ending abruptly, the rear overhang could have been a bit longer.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 14:06   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India Private Limited launches series production of the new SUV model KUSHAQ.

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-0.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-210607skodakushaqsop11440x1189.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-e3rdquovkaubkrk.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-2.jpg

Source: ŠKODA

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th June 2021 at 14:33.
volkman10 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 16:39   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.bhatt View Post

As for the rear disc brakes, if 4 discs are safer than 2, I would take 4 any day, even if it costs a few more bucks in maintenance. As I said earlier, if safety is supposed to be the USP of the car then Skoda should have given 4 discs. If they are competing against Creta/Seltos, then they should have given 4 discs. As you rightly said, we get 2 drums as the priority was to keep the price low.
Hey, just wanted to point out that the Verna with its 4 disc brakes has a longer stopping distance than the Rapid which only has 2 disc brakes.

You can see the Overdrive video here at 10:40 mark.
Turbolove is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:23   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.bhatt View Post
As for the rear disc brakes, if 4 discs are safer than 2, I would take 4 any day, even if it costs a few more bucks in maintenance. As I said earlier, if safety is supposed to be the USP of the car then Skoda should have given 4 discs. If they are competing against Creta/Seltos, then they should have given 4 discs. As you rightly said, we get 2 drums as the priority was to keep the price low.
Just one question out of curiosity. If you are given the choice of a four wheel disc brake setup and the same car with the front two discs bigger and rear drums which one out of the two would you choose?
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:50   #697
BHPian

I think Turbolove has made a very good point. The stopping distance is more important than the number of discs or the size of discs. I guess we will have to just wait for the test drives and the numbers to come out.

So along with the NCAP ratings, there is one more number we will have to watch out for.
a.bhatt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 20:27   #698
BHPian

Does love make us irrational ?

I am witnessing that a lot on this thread. Skoda lovers / fanboys are trying to justify everything about the new Kushaq

I went ahead and booked my Seltos based on the following facts :

1. Kushaq doesn't have a diesel engine option
2. Stance: I saw a few Kushaq's doing runs on Mumbai Pune expressway and it looks more like S-Cross than a Seltos/Creta. It just looks very small compared to these two cars
3. Safety: I agree that Seltos came up with a 3 NCAP ratings, but for Kushaq there's absolutely no official report suggesting a better build. SKODA/VW make better built cars is a perception, and is a vague statement for Kushaq
There are no stats proving that Kushaq has used better materials. in fact, if its a product developed entirely on India specs - what's the guarantee that Skoda has maintained the same level of quality. The entire supply chain has been rearranged for this product.
4. Boot - I am a golfer and am generally accompanied by couple of fellow golfers too. There's no way that this small boot can occupy 2/3 golf sets
5. Brakes: I see some members justifying drum brakes as safer compared to disc brakes. If that was the base, why didn't Skoda opt for Drum brakes for Octavia / Superb. I don't buy this logic at all
6. Pricing: When the public opined the Kushaq to be priced from 9.5L onwards on FB poll; Skoda had that option removed. Certainly they want to price this car to a premium or at par with Seltos. Unfortunately I don't see it

Last edited by Aditya : 9th June 2021 at 05:52. Reason: breaks > brakes.
rahulvv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 20:46   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvv View Post
5. Breaks : I see some members justifying drum breaks as safer compared to disc breaks. If that was the base, why didn't Skoda opt for Drum brakes for Octavia / Superb. I don't buy this logic at all
There is no hard and fast rule as to whether a rear disc brake is 'safer' than drum brakes. Disc brakes in theory are far better than drum brakes any day. However, at the rear, for a car like the Kushaq, it would matter when the drum brakes are used upto their full potential which in real life isnt the case. For a front wheel drive front engined car, the rear brakes do not play a major role in braking unless the rear of the car is loaded fully and the suspension is quite stiff enough to prevent the movement of weight during braking. In my cars with rear drum brakes, the brake shoes have been changed once for every four times the front brake pads have been changed. This under hard braking many a times with load at the back. The Kushaq as far as I know contains some legacy items from VWs earlier platforms to keep development costs low, and hence you see some bits and pieces which might not look modern.

Bigger cars like the Superb or Octavia have a better weight distribution and lesser shift during hard braking. These can make use of disc brakes at the rear in a better fashion. In addition to that, they are built to offer AWD capability with torque vectoring which would make use of brakes. In these scenarios, disc brakes give better control and stronger braking when it is needed. But for a compact SUV, I personally would not call this a deal breaker. The manufacturer would have done their analysis on the braking needs and appropriately chosen what is more suitable for the application and cost.

Hence, while disc brakes are obviously the latest-greatest thing to have in any car, when we speak about the rear brakes, it does not always contribute to lesser stopping distance. The Verna V/S Rapid video is a good example. Hyundais with their relatively softer suspension would have a good amount of weight shifting to the front on braking, which would increase the pressure on the front brakes. The rear wheels would have lesser traction and the ABS on sensing this would reduce the braking force applied at the rear. This effect is leeser as we move up the model line to bigger cars.

Speaking of these, I feel Skoda/VW must have a pricing advantage. If they still want to charge a premium compared to the competition, then yes it would not be worth it. Few of the noticeable items I saw pointing to legacy items are:
1. Cruise control stalk is still provided separately, while the newer cars in the family like Tiguan, T-Cross come with steering mounted cruise control buttons.
2. Skoda decided to stick with their conventional instrument cluster instead of the TFT cluster.
3. They still keep the start stop button where the keyhole is. No effort to move it to a much convenient location.
4. Use of drum brakes at the rear.
5. LED reflector setup for the headlight instead of projectors like in the other models in the family.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2021 at 09:18. Reason: Editing quoted post for typo.
audioholic is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 21:18   #700
BHPian

Quote:

I am witnessing that a lot on this thread. Skoda lovers / fanboys are trying to justify everything about the new Kushaq

I went ahead and booked my Seltos based on the following facts :

1. Kushaq doesn't have a diesel engine option
2. Stance: I saw a few Kushaq's doing runs on Mumbai Pune expressway and it looks more like S-Cross than an Seltos/Creta. It just looks very small compared to these two cars
3. Safety: I agree that Seltos came up with a 3 NCAP ratings, but for Kushaq there's absolutely no official report suggesting a better build. SKODA/VW make better built cars is a perception, and is a vague statement for Kushaq
There are no stats proving that Kushaq has used better materials. in fact, if its a product developed entirely on India specs - what's the guarantee that Skoda has maintained the same level of quality. Entire supply chain has been rearranged for this product.
4. Boot - I am a golfer and am generally accompanied by couple of fellow golfers too. THere's no way that this small boot can occupy 2/3 golf sets
5. Breaks : I see some members justifying drum breaks as safer compared to disc breaks. If that was the base, why didn't Skoda opt for Drum breaks for Octavia / Superb. I don't buy this logic at all
6. Pricing : When the public opined the Kushaq to be priced from 9.5L onwards on FB poll; Skoda had that option removed. Certainly they want to price this car to a premium or at par with Seltos. Unfortunately I don't see it
Kudos! Great choice to go with a Seltos. Wish you a wonderful ownership that fulfills your expectations.

Regarding Love, every one is a Lover for every pedigree of automotive brands.

Lover of Koreans love the bling.
Lover of Japenese love the reliability and low cost of ownership.
Lover of Americans love the big size, driving and safety.
Lover of Indians love the pride.
Lover of Germans love the driving dynamics, safety and fineness of engineering and this love arises due to a platform that is 10 years old yet rivals are still catching up to its fine dynamics even after 10 years and they are willing to pay extra for this love and bear some horrible ASS but the love and fineness nullifies all the bad.

So everyone is a justified Lover. It's just the priorities and the DNA that each brand stands for.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th June 2021 at 19:52. Reason: Typo
steadfast is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 09:13   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
So everyone is a justified Lover. It's just the priorities and the DNA that each brand stands for.
Very well said bro and yes, Seltos could still be a better "overall package" for lots of people shopping in this segment due to rear seat space (family of 5 people), boot capacity (families with kids), 360 camera (that's a great feature for lots of new drivers, tight parking) etc.

I really wish and hope Kushaq and Taigun sell in good numbers, as they rightly deserve.
MaanSingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 09:55   #702
Senior - BHPian

Honda used to make very reliable cars with great engines and quality (relative to the segment), which gave them a premium positioning in the mass market segment. Then came the made-for-India models like - Amaze, Mobilio, BRV etc. and the rest is history.
VW/SKoda lovers are assuming the Kushaq to carry on the USP of VW/SKoda cars like safety and driving dynamics but till I see the reports (NCAP, reviews etc.), I am going to be highly skeptical of these made-for-India products. On features or looks or space/size, neither the Kushaq nor the Tiguan can match up to the Korean twins. So, either they price the products significantly cheaper or they provide 5* safety rating and much better driving experience.

Last edited by adimicra : 8th June 2021 at 09:57.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 09:55   #703
BHPian

In the middle of a raging pandemic, we did an NPI (new product introduction) - a critical medical device to boot. I think we did far less program updates to senior management than Kushaq!
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 10:20   #704
BHPian

Quote:
There are no stats proving that Kushaq has used better materials. in fact, if its a product developed entirely on India specs - what's the guarantee that Skoda has maintained the same level of quality. The entire supply chain has been rearranged for this product.

I agree with everything except the safety point. As of right now, I can't say it's the best built car in the segment or that it has 5 stars in the NCAP test. But you can't say it's a poorly built product either. As of right now, none of us know it's safety rating. So I think it's pointless to argue about it until they test it out.
Gamerk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 13:28   #705
BHPian

Quote:

I went ahead and booked my Seltos based on the following facts :t
You buy the car based on your needs and budget, and congrats on your new vehicle. Also, there is still a good amount of the population that don't do golf.

The amount of Lovers/fanboys for Kia is way too high on forums. They explicitly work like an IT wing for Hyundai/Kia defending an unsafe car that "Breaks". Does Love make us irrational?
gasinveins is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks