Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 19:49   #106
BHPian

re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Top spec Creta Turbo petrol AT retails at 22L here in Bangalore. Will Skoda undercut? I doubt. At 23L Kushaq is going to be expensive but what will hurt them bad is missing diesel Engine. Just read in other thread that 70% of Creta sales comes from Diesel!
I don't think Kushaq will cross the 22-23 lakh barrier as the T-Roc already retails at 25 lakhs at some places and it's a CBU.
I am booking one if everything goes as per plan, most probably the 1.5 AT. I posted on the new year resolution thread that I would try to buy myself my first car with self earned money this year, not by support of my parents. This beauty might very well be it.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 18th March 2021 at 19:51.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:02   #107
BHPian

Should we not at least wait till the car is released, reviewed, test driven etc. to decide its sales fate? IIRC, bhpian yesyeswe shared on past pages of this thread that Skoda is targeting a 5* GNCAP with Kushaq. If that turns out to be true in next 3 months, and the existing feature list with GREAT engines, the Kushaq will still be a competent proposition amongst existing crossovers.

Anyway, the feature parity can be taken care of in facelifts. And maybe SVWIPL will go Hyundai Kia way of offering the 'WOW' features in the Taigun. Who knows?

Any which ways, good times ahead for us motorists!
museycal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:06   #108

Skoda mentioned during the presentation that the 1.0 TSI is localised, thesame was not told about the 1.5. Will this bump up the price of the 1.5 TSI significantly.

I was going to go for the 1.5 TSI, but if it crosses the 19-20L mark on road in Bangalore, I might have to go for 1.0TSI.

Also any idea on the dates for future marketing/sales milestones for Kushaq?
Old 18th March 2021, 20:06   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Does any have access to the press copies of the printed materials in the hands of media shown in this video. It will help understand the features and differentiation in each variant.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:12   #110
BHPian

Seems strictly like a 4 and a half person seater than a 5 seater.

Can anyone confirm if the middle seat also comes with a 3 point seat belt?
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:23   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Does any have access to the press copies of the printed materials in the hands of media shown in this video. It will help understand the features and differentiation in each variant.
Someone posted a pdf version of the press kit just a few posts earlier in this very thread.
shekjsk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:27   #112
BHPian

Looks beautiful and classy compared to the ugly Creta. Very well equipped too - love the notch on the top of the dashboard to keep the idols. Shows the thinking behind the car

Fingers crossed for an aggressive introductory pricing
pk1972 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:32   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Can anyone confirm if the middle seat also comes with a 3 point seat belt?
Yes it does!

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-9c078f53b2084f8ba3519cf4e060701d.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:37   #114
BANNED

Those who are worried about the boot space numbers, I would say wait for the car to reach showrooms. The boot space numbers for my Rapid is less when compared to my Honda City. But the usable boot space in Rapid is so much more. That was an eye opener for me, I won't believe in numbers blindly.

Last edited by pavi : 18th March 2021 at 20:38.
pavi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:47   #115
BHPian

Amazing job by VW group, they sold Karoq and T-Roc at those premium rates, now this will sell in huge numbers. It is quite evident that the car will come at very affordable pricing, especially the 1.0 variants with brilliant packaging of easily attractive features.

What caught my attention was the 7000 CR investment for plans 2.0, a very good effort. Definitely the Korean twins will start to feel the heat from today, especially those who are fed up with their crash test ratings.

In 2 years, this segment will become another confusing segment with huge number of offerings. Products in pipeline are VW cousins, MG ZS, Tata CSUV, Mahindra CSUV, Maruti CSUV and its Toyota Cousin, Renault Duster -Nissan Cousin and Honda too.

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2021 at 07:23. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
TorqueIndia is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Compared to these WOW factors, I would prefer more structural safety, proven mechanicals especially braking, good drivability (1.5 tsi would be a punchy engine), sorted driving dynamics, good fit and finish, paint quality, etc. The MID would not be same as Vento/Rapid ones rather it will show a lot of info in the MQB platform although it has monochrome display. Globally MQB A0 platform does not have EPB so it is nothing unexpected.
Skoda only disappointed with the boot space but as already posted, if the usable boot space is comparable to that of Creat/Seltos then there is nothing to complain about.
I was not expressing MY preference. If you see, I purchased A Vento TSI in 2019 which was the most outdated car in terms of features. I purchased it because it was the best automatic in that price range along with the solid build, safety and ride/handling. This should make it clear about my preferences.

I was expressing my opinion about how this car should be positioned if it has to sell in high numbers, which Skoda seems to be aiming for. From what has been revealed, it is clearly lacking in features/WOW factor and also the size/road presence. So, I am pretty confident that Kushaq won't be a success if it is priced at par with the Koreans. Also, a customer does not care about what the platform offers globally; he/she will only compare with what is available locally and rightly so. And as much as I want to stress on safety, the fact is even now most customers don't care for it and we have tin cans with structural integrity issues ruling the sales chars (even cars costing 15-20L). However, I expect Skoda to be very aggressive with the pricing of the 1.0 TSI and undercut Kia/Hyundai which should help it to achieve the sales targets. I expect the 1.5 TSI to be priced higher, resulting is a sales dud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Have to agree with your post.

Was watching the live stream today, and the product announcement was followed by all these questions - everyone wanted to know about panoramic sunroof, 360 camera etc.
Kushaq just looks like another enthusiast favourite from Skoda.
For once, we agree

Last edited by adimicra : 18th March 2021 at 20:57.
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:58   #117
BHPian

My take on Kushaq , it will not be a Creta & Seltos killer but might become a perfect crossover. It checks out most of the features I’m looking in a compact SUV/Crossover

Looks : Overall Kushaq looks good, somehow reminds me BMW X1, not a bad thing I guess.
Ground Clearance : 188 mm will be perfect to manage speed breakers and potholes. Anything beyond 200 mm will increase body roll and possibility of roll over.
Dimensions : Perfect for urban/narrow rural roads, have enough space in front , knee room and room for occasional third person at the back. Little smaller than Creta & Seltos (might be a deal breaker for some) .
Road Presence : By looking at the pictures and videos , Kushaq might not have road presence people expect from this category of SUV.
Safety : Skoda emphasis lot on safety during presentation means it’s well build and will certainly be safer than Creta & Seltos.
Ride & Handling : Going by initial pre-production reviews, 1.0 version has sorted ride & handling.
Price : Skoda need to price it competitive if it wants to do volume business. Due to few short comings like dimension, road presence, boot space and fancy features, public might opt for Creta & Seltos.

What Kushaq offers is an credible safer alternative in compact SUV category. I certainly believe Kushaq will have its fair share of success, all the best for Skoda .
rainmaster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 21:06   #118
BHPian

My family and I have been loyal users of the VAG India Group for over a decade now owning almost every model of the Volkswagen lineup. As good as their products are, they have started to show their age. This new platform and vehicle should give a new lease of life to the overall group. I must admit that there has been a sincere amount of thoughtfulness and they have really kept the Indian market in mind and that shows in their latest offering. It is astounding how they have essentially stretched their bread and butter models for more than a decade now.

A couple of rather close observations from my end to add to the already insightful discussion, maybe even excessively critical :

1) The colours offered at least for now are rather generic to the VAG group and nothing that really excites me as a familiar user. I remember how 'Carbon Steel Grey' and 'Mettalic Beige' on the Vento were absolute stunners when the 2015 facelift version came out.
2) Turn indicators on the headlights and rear lamps seem to be normal bulbs. Why ruin an otherwise beautiful LED unit with such bulbs?
3) Both the wipers are not fitting the overall car. The front wipers are the standard Bosch ones and not the 'aero' style fitted on the more premium Skoda cars. The rear wiper too is an eyesore. A more neat solution could have been used (is being used with the Polo)!
4) Two spoke steering wheel isn't really my cup of tea, extremely used to the 3 spoke setup by now. I feel this will be a hindrance in city driving.
5) In an otherwise meticulous cabin, the analogue display and the manual handbrake seem to be out of place.
6) Boot space as other fellow BHPians pointed out is a massive problem for me too.
7) Plastics are extremely hard in VAG India cars and hopefully, they have replaced at least some of the hard materials with a soft-touch one. Doesn't seem to be the case from the photos.
8) Glittery plastic trims in the cabin aren't my cup of tea either. Looks tacky.
9) One-touch up/down is only available for the driver's side window. This feature has been present in even the most basic car VAG cars for over a decade. However, I wouldn't call this cost-cutting with this car but more feature cutting to accommodate some other feature (maybe)?

The above points are just some of the misses of this car IMHO. But I am very impressed and tempted quite frankly when it comes to the Kushaq. Great job done by Skoda India and it is extremely refreshing to see new models finally making their way into this company!

Last edited by AKSarkar1 : 18th March 2021 at 21:22.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 21:07   #119
BHPian

I was sold on this until I saw the MID. The design sketches indicated a digital cockpit. To me it looked as if they had plonked a 10 year old MID into a futuristic car.

Now if the Taigun comes with a panoramic sunroof and a digital cockpit as it is rumoured to, sacrificing just the ventilated seats, the choice is a no brainer to me.
devakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 21:13   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr88 View Post
This article(https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-420254) by Autocar mentions of a virtual cockpit. This wasn't mentioned in the premiere though.

Quoting it here - "The Kushaq also gets Skoda’s Virtual cockpit – a customisable, 10-inch digital instrument cluster that displays the navigation and all driving information."
See the comment on the virtual cockpit:

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-1.jpg

Possibilities:

Price reveal/media drive: May
Bookings likely in June.
Deliveries to start in July

Three Trims:

- Active
- Ambition
- Style

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-2.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-3.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-4.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-6.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-7.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-8.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-9.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-11.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-12.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th March 2021 at 21:35.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed