Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 16:33   #211
BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

I feel they can easily replace T-Roc with this one and price it similar to T-Roc by removing following from the expected specs:
1) FWD instead of 4WD
2) Skip ADAS (most likely not in expected specs anyway, as AUDI didn't consider it in Q5 with 59Lakhs ex-sh price tag)
3) 1.5L TSI instead of 2L TSI

Without these (and with better Alloys design!!!) this car can beat the 20-30Lakhs on-road price range competition.

Most likely, given that VW doesn't care about volumes, they will price it towards higher side, showing poor people like me way out of showroom.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 25th November 2021 at 16:34. Reason: Corrections
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:39   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with first two points but not the third point, it has to come with 2.0 TSI engine, or else it will just be a little longer Taigun with a little better interiors, and compass will be the pick.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:46   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I agree with first two points but not the third point, it has to come with 2.0 TSI engine, or else it will just be a little longer Taigun with a little better interiors, and compass will be the pick.
Agreed! That's how T-Roc is positioned currently, isn't it? A longer and a MORE premium VW car in comparison to Indian car standard interiors and finish of Taigun.

I will add - Maybe it will make sense to replace T-Roc with 1.5L TSI Tiguan (Comfortline) and bringing in 2L TSI in (Highline). This way they will have CKD car in portfolio at better competitive price, hence killing segment between Taigun and Allspace. Though this will make Allspace highly unattractive.

Any mods / Bhpians in touch with dealers; any inputs on expected pricing?
Also, is there any thread with discussion on 2L TSI and its long term reliability? It doesn't come with Q200 right? Has a more reliable GB?
Old 25th November 2021, 17:10   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Agreed! That's how T-Roc is positioned currently, isn't it? A longer and a MORE premium VW car in comparison to Indian car standard interiors and finish of Taigun.

I will add - Maybe it will make sense to replace T-Roc with 1.5L TSI Tiguan (Comfortline) and bringing in 2L TSI in (Highline). This way they will have CKD car in portfolio at better competitive price, hence killing segment between Taigun and Allspace. Though this will make Allspace highly unattractive.

Any mods / Bhpians in touch with dealers; any inputs on expected pricing?
Also, is there any thread with discussion on 2L TSI and its long term reliability? It doesn't come with Q200 right? Has a more reliable GB?
Na they can rather bring back the T-Roc, no point diluting Tiguan, or else it will be tough to sell the 2L TSI. I would rather hope VW goes aggressive, and price it well, take on Jeep compass Head to head, FWD model priced maybe a lac on premium with Jeep Compass Top model, and AWD model priced maybe at par with Jeep Diesel 4 X 4 or undercut it by a small margin. They will get the volumes and Jeep will exit before VW does

No 2L is mated with another gear box (DQ320 Perhaps), as it has rated capacity of 320nm Torque, DQ 200 max out at 250

Last edited by AtheK : 25th November 2021 at 17:13.
Old 25th November 2021, 17:33   #215
BHPian

Quote:
I would rather hope VW goes aggressive, and price it well, take on Jeep compass Head to head, FWD model priced maybe a lac on premium with Jeep Compass Top model, and AWD model priced maybe at par with Jeep Diesel 4 X 4 or undercut it by a small margin. They will get the volumes and Jeep will exit before VW does
Basically looking at 26Lakhs ex-sh for FWD and 28.5Lakhs ex-sh for AWD. Allspace is currently sitting at 34Lakhs ex-sh, hence maintaining a premium of 5-6Lakhs (~20%) for an additional row + CBU?

At this price point definitely Tiguan will be better than C5 and Compass, as all 3 are comparable on other parameters like poor/scarce service network and fear of high service cost. Also, at this price point it will make sense for me to wait for a year & save post tax salary, before spending 20Lakhs on less capable cars currently on offer.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 25th November 2021 at 17:34. Reason: Corrections
Old 25th November 2021, 17:48   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Basically looking at 26Lakhs ex-sh for FWD and 28.5Lakhs ex-sh for AWD. Allspace is currently sitting at 34Lakhs ex-sh, hence maintaining a premium of 5-6Lakhs (~20%) for an additional row + CBU?

At this price point definitely Tiguan will be better than C5 and Compass, as all 3 are comparable on other parameters like poor/scarce service network and fear of high service cost. Also, at this price point it will make sense for me to wait for a year & save post tax salary, before spending 20Lakhs on less capable cars currently on offer.
Obviously we can only wish, but Mahindra has shown the result with price disruption, some one needs to go this route again and shake the market, though I highly doubt VW group will do so. We will probably see it starting at 29.99 Ex-showroom in reality.
Old 25th November 2021, 18:00   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Obviously we can only wish, but Mahindra has shown the result with price disruption, some one needs to go this route again and shake the market, though I highly doubt VW group will do so. We will probably see it starting at 29.99 Ex-showroom in reality.
I agree, it would be around 30 ex showroom. I think that would be a fair price for the kit on offer. Does anyone have any indications if VW dealers are taking pre bookings?
Old 25th November 2021, 22:58   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
I agree, it would be around 30 ex showroom. I think that would be a fair price for the kit on offer. Does anyone have any indications if VW dealers are taking pre bookings?
Yes few dealers in Bangalore started taking prebooking from Monday. One of my friend has done pre booking.
CarSprit_ssk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:35   #219
BHPian

Quote:
At this price point definitely Tiguan will be better than C5 and Compass, as all 3 are comparable on other parameters like poor/scarce service network and fear of high service cost..
You are forgetting emotion. That plays a key role in folks deciding to go for these premium 5 seaters. Otherwise it makes so much sense to go for the XUV/Creta category or the BOF 7 seaters, or stretch for the entry level luxury brands.

The product has to tug at the heartstrings. The Compass does and hence 1300+ units per month get sold.

The C5, Tucson and the older Tiguan never did, and so they never sold in the first place. Is this Tiguan going to be any different? Let us see. I also feel the Jeep 4x4 is far more capable than the Tiguan AWD, so there's that too.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 14:51   #220
BHPian

I feel like Volkswagen will never fly thanks to Skoda at the helm of affairs now. Even if they want to disrupt the market, they'll need to ask & factor in Skoda now.

A 1.5 TSI Tiguan FWD @ 23.99 ex showroom? Take my money, VW!
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 15:28   #221

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-screenshot_20211126131723_whatsapp.jpg

New Tiguan production started in Skoda Aurangabad MH plant today.
Old 26th November 2021, 16:32   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I feel like Volkswagen will never fly thanks to Skoda at the helm of affairs now. Even if they want to disrupt the market, they'll need to ask & factor in Skoda now.

A 1.5 TSI Tiguan FWD @ 23.99 ex showroom? Take my money, VW!
Agreed! With you on this!! I will also book right away!
But u know
Understanding Skoda's (including VW) pricing strategy, their pride lies in calling themselves premium automaker in India. How on earth can they match prices to top variants of cars like Harrier and XUV700?! That will be insult to the brand.

Hence, even if the car comes with fewer features compared to segment leaders, they will price it beyond mine or your reach. They don't want to sell too many of these cars (you know how much hassle it adds to manufacture and service these cars. They plan to keep life simple by selling less)

VW will most likely price it between 29.99Lakhs - 32.99Lakhs ex-sh.
My wish, as posted yesterday would be to get it closer to 25-28Lakhs on road. (Sapne!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal031 View Post
Attachment 2237636

New Tiguan production started in Skoda Aurangabad MH plant today.
Already posted yesterday, may consider deleting re-post. Though welcome to waiting room.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 26th November 2021 at 16:34. Reason: Additional information added
Old 26th November 2021, 17:23   #223
BHPian

As everyone is talking about emotion and premiumness of tiguan. I have have interesting story. I broke my tiguan allspace taillamp and I was traveling (Bangalore - Chennai- Trivandrum), so I called service centers in all these places to see if I can get a walk in replacement. All of them *every single one of them* kept referring to my car as "Taigun" or "Taigun allspace"
40L car vs sub 20L car, very confusing brand naming and the brand owner themselves confusing the customers. That's the day I started having taigun (and VW marketing team) , if they next make confusing proposition between T-Roc and Tiguan
Tiguan - features like t-roc, named liked taigun, supposedly equivalent to Q series.
narayanbabu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 17:42   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
The product has to tug at the heartstrings. The Compass does and hence 1300+ units per month get sold.
Totally agree with you on this. It has to tug at the heartstrings. The reason why the Compass has a very small but a cult following. Very few cars/SUV's do in the sub 25 L space. Tiguan for one will not.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 09:43   #225
BHPian

Really love the blue color in the above picture. Compass can never match this car in space. While exterior dimensions are not very different, somehow compass feels claustrophobic inside. Moreover, neither of the two engines on offer on Compass can match the brutal acceleration of the 2.0 TSI. Compass is a great car, a great looker but is not enough to write Tiguan off.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks