Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 16:04   #46
BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

I've been waiting for this car for a long, long time and hope that it is available much before the festive season timeline that has been mentioned in a few places. I also hope that the 480-watt, 10 speaker Harman Kardon system, available abroad as an upgrade, makes its way here!
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Upon registering an interest on the VW website, got a surprise call from the dealer in Pune yesterday. Looks like it was just a courtesy call to understand the interest levels.

However, the sales advisor mentioned that he had no confirmed idea on the launch timeline, "maybe after summer" - is what he said. When probed further, he said even their orientation training process had not yet been announced.

So, looks like we are approximately 2-3 months away, still, for any more clear announcements.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:58   #48
BHPian

I'm in the market and wondering if I should shortlist this one or not.

My concern is the stiff ride quality which I read about in the Team BHP official review, and it's a deal breaker for me.

What can I expect in the face-lifted version in terms of ride quality? I guess there are no changes to the underlying platform (please correct me if I'm wrong) and hence the ride quality is expected to remain as it is in the current version.
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:24   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojas View Post
My concern is the stiff ride quality which I read about in the Team BHP official review, and it's a deal breaker for me.
Ride quality of the petrol should be better as the earlier heavier diesel engine needed stiffer springs.

I am more concerned about how they plan to price it. A base variant at 22.99L with the 1.5 TSI would be a mouth watering prospect and finally a worthy alternative to the VFM but old Tucson and the overpriced Compass - but it seems that the 2.0 TSI is the only engine option being launched.
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojas View Post

What can I expect in the face-lifted version in terms of ride quality? I guess there are no changes to the underlying platform (please correct me if I'm wrong) and hence the ride quality is expected to remain as it is in the current version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Ride quality of the petrol should be better as the earlier heavier diesel engine needed stiffer springs.
If you go through the ownership reports of the Tiguan Allspace (which is also petrol), you would still see owners mentioning about the stiffer suspension. I doubt whether it will be any different on the new Tiguan.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 14:58   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If you go through the ownership reports of the Tiguan Allspace (which is also petrol), you would still see owners mentioning about the stiffer suspension. I doubt whether it will be any different on the new Tiguan.
Do you think it's possible that VW India could tinker with the suspension because the Tiguan is being assembled locally?

As far as I know, the Tiguan AllSpace was bought as a stop-gap to fill in for the outdated BS4 Tiguan in very limited numbers from their Mexican plant. I don't think they went all the way to customise it for the Indian market. In the official review, some owners mentioned that even the maps wasn't configured to work in India - it seems unlikely that they looked other stuff in detail.

Now that it's back, I'm hoping some degree of localisation can be possible without compromising the quality of the ride. The quality is top notch but the stiff suspension can definitely be felt on bad roads when I test-drove the car
Old 25th April 2021, 15:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPauzner View Post
Do you think it's possible that VW India could tinker with the suspension because the Tiguan is being assembled locally?
Ideally they should. Simple solution could be to offer higher profile tyres (but yes the 'looks' will suffer ) which can make a difference.
Old 25th April 2021, 19:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

I have sworn to never touch another petrol 4 cyl SUV again. Hope they will finally bite the bullet and reintroduce their diesel models.
Old 30th April 2021, 11:17   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Will Now Be Launched In June 2021.

Quote:
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, Volkswagen has delayed the launch of the 5-seater Tiguan facelift to June 2021. It was previewed in India in March and was expected to launch in May.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayendra View Post
They really have to bring back Diesels, at least in the higher segments. Buying an AWD SUV at around 35 to 40L, I don't see myself going for a petrol, at least for the next few years. Diesels for VAG isn't something new, they do have diesels with the latest pollution norms in Europe, and BS6 doesn't seem to a factor preventing VAG from relaunching diesels.
I feel that VW, is sensing that Governments may go the NCR way in banning Diesel engines after some years. VW does not command resale value in the market like Toyota or MUL and having diesel engine may further impair the same. From a power and driving dynamics, the 2L TSI engine is a very rev happy engine and dont think that people may miss a diesel. Also the price differential between the fuels is with in 6-10 Rs, and hence does not make any economic sense to use Diesel going forward IMHO
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:42   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
. Also the price differential between the fuels is with in 6-10 Rs, and hence does not make any economic sense to use Diesel going forward IMHO
While the cost per litre may only be 6-10 Rs., the real difference is on the fuel economy, where the difference between a high performance petrol and diesel can be 40-60%. That is the real game changer in my view that still makes diesel a compelling proposition.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 15:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Price Difference aside, a Petrol SUV (Turbo Petrol) will sip fuel very quickly unless one knows how to modulate the pedals. While the VW TSI engine's are very quick and refined, it's their Diesel's which are more practical and fare better on their SUV lineup.

That 2.0 TDI is a gem of a engine, it's very refined (Petrol like when crusing), is extremely responsive in every gears at varying rpms and delivers stellar figures (21 kmpl at 90-100 kmph Speeds, 18kmpl at 120-140 kmph speeds). The same 2.0 TSI cannot match up.

Anyone who has driven both 2.0 TSI & 2.0 TDI will prefer the latter. Me too.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 15:11   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
While the cost per litre may only be 6-10 Rs., the real difference is on the fuel economy, where the difference between a high performance petrol and diesel can be 40-60%.
Agree it is early days yet, and this is based on MID mileage, but my Tiguan Allspace is giving about 10-15% lower mileage than my X3 on similar Parel to BKC runs. Am getting about 9.7-10 kmpl on my X3 runs, while I am getting about 8.2-9 kmpl on my Tiguan runs. So the cost per km is about ₹11.8 per km on the Tiguan and ₹ 9.6 per km on the X3. For driving about 8000-9000 km per annum, the cost difference is ₹18,000 - 20,000 per year, which is next to nothing for cars that cost ₹ 30-45 l ex showroom.

And the smoothness of a petrol makes that small cost worth it.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 15:26   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Agree it is early days yet, and this is based on MID mileage, but my Tiguan Allspace is giving about 10-15% lower mileage than my X3 on similar Parel to BKC runs. Am getting about 9.7-10 kmpl on my X3 runs, while I am getting about 8.2-9 kmpl on my Tiguan runs. So the cost per km is about ₹11.8 per km on the Tiguan and ₹ 9.6 per km on the X3. For driving about 8000-9000 km per annum, the cost difference is ₹18,000 - 20,000 per year, which is next to nothing for cars that cost ₹ 30-45 l ex showroom.

And the smoothness of a petrol makes that small cost worth it.
I would take these absolute cost numbers in a heartbeat for the convenience of petrol. My cars too run less than 10 - 12k kms in a year. Would look forward to these figures on a long term basis.

But my remapped GT gives close 15 - 16 kmpl on the highway (even with a heavy lead foot) and well over 10 kmpl in my city driving. Perhaps 10 - 12 kmpl but I’ll have to check. My understanding is that the high performance premium petrol automatics are extremely sensitive to driving style etc. And fuel economy can very easily plummet to 6 kmpl as well while my diesel GT has almost never given me lower than 8.8/9 kmpl in any conditions with any kind of driving.

Perhaps this FE sensitivity is more with petrols from Hyundai etc and less so with VW but not sure as I’ve owned neither petrol automatic in the larger cars in recent years.
Old 2nd May 2021, 15:32   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I would take these absolute cost numbers in a heartbeat for the convenience of petrol. My cars too run less than 10 - 12k kms in a year.

Perhaps this FE sensitivity is more with petrols from Hyundai etc and less so with VW but not sure as I’ve owned neither petrol automatic in the larger cars in recent years.
Big difference between sedans and SUVs I think. An SUV will almost never give the kind of highway mileage you get when wrung hard given the aerodynamic drag. And yes, I have been babying both cars and driving in relatively low traffic - not done much bumper to bumper driving. Will keep you posted on the Allspace thread.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks