Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2021, 12:41   #1
Team-BHP Support

Validity of vehicle documents extended till June 30, 2021

The validity of motor vehicle related documents such as driving licence, registration certificate, fitness certificate and all types of permits, which had expired during the lockdown enforced due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, had been extended by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways till March 31, 2021. However, in wake of the current situation across the country, the ministry has further extended this deadline to June 30.

The ministry had earlier issued advisories dated March 30, 2020, June 9, 2020, August 24, 2020 and December 27, 2020 concerning extension of validity of documents.

The statement from the ministry read, "Taking into consideration the grim situation still continuing due to conditions for prevention of COVID-19 across the country, it is advised that validity of all the vehicle documents whose extension of validity could not be, or was not likely to be granted due to lockdown and/or COVID-19 and which had expired since 1st of Feb, 2020 or would expire by 30th June 2021, the same may be treated valid till 30th June 2021".

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source: ET Auto

Last edited by Aditya : 28th March 2021 at 12:44.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 14:52   #2
BHPian

re: Validity of vehicle documents extended till June 30, 2021

My driving license expired in November and I haven't been able to get it renewed yet. Per this it is still valid till 30th June. If I apply for renewal before that do I still have to appear for a driving test or does it get renewed similarly to a license that still has a month until expiry where the test is dispensed with.

Hoping some one has been in a situation similar to mine and can advise.
Old 28th March 2021, 19:00   #3
BANNED

re: Validity of vehicle documents extended till June 30, 2021

Does this include insurance as well?
I just got mine renewed in January, I guess I did it a little too soon!
Old 28th March 2021, 20:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Validity of vehicle documents extended till June 30, 2021

Given the fact most of the RTO services are offered online and they have recently said no need to visit RTO as well, I am not sure what is the relevance of this extension.

Most people who are computer literates can get their services themselves sitting at home. Remaining people mostly get their job done through agents(again online)

Even if people goto RTO, they will be asked to fill the forms online and pay online.

So, really not sure what is the actual benefits of this extension and who are the beneficiaries from the extension

At least if they had extended insurance policy timelines, tax timeline for rented vehicles it would have helped travel industry because, during covid, one of the most suffered(still suffering) and neglected industry was tours and travels sector. Not sure if they have considered tax timelines or not.

I am sure they would not have extended insurance.

Last edited by gkveda : 28th March 2021 at 21:01.
Old 28th March 2021, 21:15   #5
BHPian

I got the FC renewal done for my Ford Fiesta which was due in December 2020 this month. There was no question asked regarding the date of expiry. I guess it's a straight forward extension with no changes to the system.
hareshjethwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 12:14   #6
BHPian

Is PUC included in list?
Old 29th March 2021, 15:23   #7
BHPian

Mod note: Posts merged. Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagMan View Post
My driving license expired in November and I haven't been able to get it renewed yet. Per this it is still valid till 30th June. If I apply for renewal before that do I still have to appear for a driving test or does it get renewed similarly to a license that still has a month until expiry where the test is dispensed with.
Hoping some one has been in a situation similar to mine and can advise.
IMHO, since you have time for renewal just wait until its 30 days before expiry and then apply for renewal, as applications can be filled online. Here's a link from MoRTH for online applications.
https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sar...teSelection.do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Kumara View Post
Does this include insurance as well?
I just got mine renewed in January, I guess I did it a little too soon!
It's good to keep our vehicles insured, although the insurance copy may be accepted as valid but if in case of an accident the whole repair cost would be on ourselves and no one else will be responsible for this.

Additionally the renewal cost will also increase due to policy expired and if there are any pre-existing damages which insurer isn't aware of will also be recorded into their data (a small pre-inspection is carried out by insurance co. if, the policy expires or insured changes the insurer) and might not be considered for later with fresh accidental damages over it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th March 2021 at 16:16. Reason: Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 29th March 2021, 15:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Given the fact most of the RTO services are offered online and they have recently said no need to visit RTO as well, I am not sure what is the relevance of this extension.

Most people who are computer literates can get their services themselves sitting at home. Remaining people mostly get their job done through agents(again online)

Even if people goto RTO, they will be asked to fill the forms online and pay online.

So, really not sure what is the actual benefits of this extension and who are the beneficiaries from the extension
Driving licensed issued 20 years back are not updated in the database. A trip to the rto to atleast create a digital record would be required. If not other processes. Also possibly updation of phone numbers in registration certificates and driving licences issued 15/20 years back to be able to access those records online and authenticate with aadhaar. And even today not every one is online and tech savvy.

For folks asking about insurance and puc, y'all have to remember that it's not the govt issuing those documents. It's third parties.

Last edited by JagMan : 29th March 2021 at 15:54.
JagMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 18:24   #9
BHPian

I was lucky enough to get my license renewed with the first unlock when the government departments were working with limited staff. Though the actual delivery of the updated license took more than a month. I had to visit the post office to collect the license myself.
Old 29th March 2021, 20:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagMan View Post
Driving licensed issued 20 years back are not updated in the database. A trip to the rto to atleast create a digital record would be required.
+1! I faced this issue wherein my details are not available online. Mandatory to visit the RTO to get the entry into the database. So for folks like me, this is a good thing as there is some more time now to get the Govt. wheels moving and renew the DL.
Old 30th March 2021, 10:40   #11
BHPian

While I agree that this is may sound as a good relief to many vehicle owners, especially in the transport sector where they are subject to constant harass by the RTO. But, I doubt there would be any change on the ground, as how many of the state RTO or police officers are going to pay heed to this is just anyone's guess.

Heck, even the parivahan portal doesn't recognize this!

Validity of vehicle documents extended till June 30, 2021-vahanexpiry.png

My scooter's registration expired last June here I am trying to get an NOC.

The least they can do is to update the database with the right extension of validity dates. If the Govt don't want to change the validity dates, then don't call it a relief.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 12:14   #12
VSD
BHPian

Will this be valid for obtaining transfer NOC from RTO for a diesel vehicle registered in Delhi. The car's registrtion date was september 2010 and as per NGT it can't be used in NCR. My friend hadn't taken noc earlier therefore he hasn't been able to sell the car forward.
If this is applicable then he can get an NOC and sell his car in Punjab or other places.
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:33   #13
BHPian

http://toi.in/XH6R9a Link from Times of India. Says validity extended upto 30 Sep 2021, for the permitted documents. My question is, does this cover learner license as well? I've not come across any news regarding extension of learner's licence validity

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks