Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2007, 15:42   #1

Vehicle Registration Blues!! Address proof for gypsies like me

Dunno if this is the right forum... trust the mods will move it where it shud belong :">

here's the question... I work in Mumbai, but don't have any local residence in my name. All I have is a lease agreement which is franked, but not registered with the registrar as yet.

Now my dealer has already charged me 3K which he says will go to the RTO as undertable charges becoz i dont have an own residence in mumbai. and now becoz the lease is not yet registered, he says i have to pay another 1 grand.

First of all, i dont trust him. I'd like to know if my company issues a certificate that i stay in so and so place, would this be a valid address proof for registration purposes? all my bills & bank accounts bear my official address & hometown address.
are there others in this forum who have had to cough up the 3k bribe just becoz they dint own properties in mumbai?
shad0ww is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2007, 17:03   #2
BHPian

Don't you have a rental agreement? When I bought my car, the salesman charged me 500 bucks and got the work done, even when the rental agreement was not under my name. I think company certificate/ Hutch bill should do, I used the same when I bought my bike and the Bajaj people made some affidavit and didn't have any hassles with it. Try any of the two mentioned things..might work
Old 26th April 2007, 18:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

hey mate, talk to your company HR and explain the situation. Tell them to give you a letter stating that you are an employee and reside in the address stated. Job done !!
Old 26th April 2007, 19:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the legal way is to get an affidavit stating the current address. My dealer did it for me without charging all these extra bucks.
spadival is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2007, 00:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

I had the same problem when I bought my bike in hyderabad. The agent (dealer's pointsman in RTA) said that I will need to fork out Rs300 for getting an affidavit done as I do not have a residence proof. I tried the electricity bill but it had the landlord's name on it. The gas registration voucher of HP was not acceptable (even though from the government)! My passport was carrying a different address. Mobile phone bills were also not acceptable. Even my employer's letter (one of the most respected names in the IT space) was not acceptable. Soon I realized that no matter what you give they will find one fault or the other. So I parted with the 300 bucks.

However when they started the same circus when I purchased the car I turned the tables on them. I just took my bike's RC book issued by the same RTA and submitted a copy as proof. They were surprised at the turn of the events and then an agent came up with the gem that it is not acceptable. So I said if you can not accept your own documents as being true then there is something massively wrong here and I would like to speak to the transport commissioner. At this they retreated hastily. My work got done.

Last edited by Zappo : 27th April 2007 at 00:58.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2007, 01:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Rental agreement is sufficient for this purpose, you don't need to own property. Either your dealer has made a fool out of you, or there is something out of order in your rental agreement that such bribes are necessary.
Old 27th April 2007, 10:59   #7

The rental agreement is a very legal. It has just not been registered with the registrar of properties. (most aggrements are anyway not registered)

The dealer is charging me 3K INSPITE of this. When i asked him for a bill of the 3k amount, he told me that it's all undertable bribe to the RTO officials, and there will be no bill. Then he reverted to me saying if i pay him another 1k, he will give me a bill.

I have very strong grieviances against this cheat of a dealer, so I paid the extra buck to get the bill. i intend to use this to file a case against him once all my work is done. I have ZERO trust in this guy, and the only reason i had to put up with it is becoz my parents paid him the "booking amount". He refused to refund it in full on cancellation, and was charging insane amounts of cancellation charges.

Many more feathers in his cap... which will be elaborated in another dedicated post!
Old 27th April 2007, 11:02   #8

A little off topic in the current thread, but still... now that he is on his cheating spree... he also pasted a sunfilm he claims to be of Llumar. Only, it's got an ISI mark on it... and Llumar mentioned nowhere. I hope this is not yet another case of this crook installing some cheap local make and passing it off as Llumar!
Old 27th April 2007, 12:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Get all bills, and then put a case in consumer court. He is out to cheat you.
I have got vehicles registered on Rental agreement in Bangalore. Its perfectly legal.
Infact if you have a BSNL phone bill or bank statement that also is usable.
I suggest you go to the RTO and see the list of accepted documents. It usually pasted on the notice board.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2007, 13:06   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Infact if you have a BSNL phone bill or bank statement that also is usable.
And only a BSNL connection .. airtel and relaince and tata indicom will not suffice , as for the Bank -- it again has to be a Nationalised bank .

Anyone in Delhi know what all can be shown as proof for registering a car/ getting a DL, etc -- I too am a gypsy with no Delhi residence proof and need a license

Cheers
Old 27th April 2007, 13:07   #11
Team-BHP Support

Got to your nearest RTO, they display these document lists in bold. Don't trust any agent.
Old 27th April 2007, 13:12   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Got to your nearest RTO, they display these document lists in bold. Don't trust any agent.

Doesnt the RTO have a website ... ???
Old 27th April 2007, 13:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Doesnt the RTO have a website ... ???
Yes they do but the boards outside the RTO as Tanveer says are likely to be updated far more frequently
Old 7th June 2010, 09:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

I'm new to Mumbai, and am interested in purchasing a car here sometime soon, most probably a used car. I don't have any Mumbai address proof, and since I am putting up at a relative's place for the time being, I won't have a rental/lease agreement anytime soon.
What options do I have with respect to address proof? I was thinking of applying for an MTNL land line + broadband connection at my relative's place in my name. Will MTNL allow this? And if so, can I use this as an address proof?

Any other options I can explore? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 7th June 2010, 09:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Reviving an old thread.

I'm new to Mumbai, and am interested in purchasing a car here sometime soon, most probably a used car. I don't have any Mumbai address proof... Any other options I can explore? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
As per my info, an affidavit made before Notary should be enough as an address proof. Why don't you ask an RTO agent ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks