Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 10:38   #451
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview

If the digital cockpit is only in middle, does it not show speedometer and tachometer at same time?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th August 2021 at 11:18. Reason: Grammar.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:40   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
No offence to you mate but I just don't understand how is this damn test being used for determining the premiumness or quality of the roof liner by some so called journalists . If people think that this is cheap, then they should try the same test on the 5th gen Honda City, in that vehicle too the roof liner is not tucked in from the front.

What I want to say is that it's just a design and not cost cutting as some are portraying it to be. Had it been a sign of premiumness, then my Maruti 800 would be more premium than a City/Kushaq/Taigun .
I don't understand. If a Maruti 800 can give us tight and neatly tucked roof liner then why is it wrong to expect it from a Taigun/Kushaq or a City?
Also, no offense to you mate, can you please help us understand how is a loose and sagging roof liner a part of product design and what purpose does it serve. Not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to understand. Thanks.
a.bhatt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:46   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

More details trickle in, corrections made to Taigun to include missing features in Skoda Kushaq.

Expect a premium pricing as compared to Kushaq in some variants:

Quote:
Yes, there are six airbags in the 1.5-litre TSI DSG, and sub-woofer too. Ventilated seats will be offered in the top-spec 1.0-litre TSI.
The best colour in Taigun:

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-e7607ejuuaeipf9.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-e7607ehvuai1fys.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-e7607egvuaud34o.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-e7607egvoaa5oz.jpg

Link

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th August 2021 at 12:55. Reason: Taigan > Taigun
volkman10 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:12   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Oh yes, the same DNA that had VAG lead a cartel in literally rigging emission norms, cheating on actual emission results and getting hit with the largest fine in the Auto Industry globally. By refusing to consider Hybrids in the mid 2000's till the Chinese market FORCED it into this.

Poor quality springs causing rear tyre bursts - https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...s-could-break/

Brake issues forcing recall of close to a million cars - https://www.thedrive.com/news/12186/...or-brake-issue

I could go on endlessly.

I seriously wonder what is this near fetishisation of "European DNA"?
Exactly my thoughts, giving the benefit of doubt to European manufacturers on their face value when there are ample examples to the contrary.

While recalls and all are part and parcel of large-scale manufacturing, the intentional rigging of emission data betrays their real motives.

I wouldn't trust them blindly without any proof or intent from them to highlight the safety of their car as a feature. More so in this case when there is hint that they have probably compromised on the quality of material used in structure, and are no better than the Koreans.

I do wish that they have made safe cars which will be an impetus for others to follow - if Tata and Mahindra can do it and make safety as a differentiator, these can definitely.
CarBorne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:13   #455
BHPian

When I test drove the TROC, Digital Display was delight. Having two identical halves, displaying Tacho and Speedo, some details at the center, large font bold display of the gear car was running on (D1,D2...M1,M2), watching that change as I toggled between Manual and Digital, enjoying the paddle shifters, it was some experience.

I personally didnt like the red color in the background of that Taigun display. I have nearly zeroed on the model, I wish the smaller display is bearable and not a deal breaker (it cant be a deal breaker, as another option has 6 airbags and second one has no cruise control and is 4 lakhs expensive ).

Will be great if someone from the Team BHP put up a quick review on the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Does if the digital cockpit is only in middle, does it not show speedometer and tachometer at same time?
vinitbarve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:16   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.bhatt View Post
I don't understand. If a Maruti 800 can give us tight and neatly tucked roof liner then why is it wrong to expect it from a Taigun/Kushaq or a City?
Also, no offense to you mate, can you please help us understand how is a loose and sagging roof liner a part of product design and what purpose does it serve. Not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to understand. Thanks.
Well most of the modern cars have roof lining done (wrapped?) onto a base portion which is what sticks to the car's inner roof with an adhesive. In case of the 800 and older cars, the lining was the frame itself mostly and was held by clips and adhesive. Now due to the body design of the interior or the frame on which the liner is wrapped, there maybe or may not be space to tuck in roof lining material on modern cars.

These spaces are left out due to constraints and complexities in the design like inclusion of sunroof mechanisms, sunglass holders, etc. We see this type of space mostly at the front portion because of the features I mentioned above. If one has to define the premiumness of the roof lining, then it should be according to how good is the material and how long it will last.

There are a LOT of cars in which the roof liner will flex when you press around the cabin light area, that does not mean it's cost cutting. The design of the assembly itself is such that some space is left out around the light assembly and the liner can't be shaped and levelled to that much of small area.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 4th August 2021 at 11:19.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:20   #457
BHPian

Does the 1.0 TSI AT versions also have six airbags ?. This one of the decision points for many prospective buyers.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:22   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, the same DNA that had VAG lead a cartel in literally rigging emission norms, cheating on actual emission results and getting hit with the largest fine in the Auto Industry globally. By refusing to consider Hybrids in the mid 2000's till the Chinese market FORCED it into this.

Poor quality springs causing rear tyre bursts - https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...s-could-break/

Brake issues forcing recall of close to a million cars - https://www.thedrive.com/news/12186/...or-brake-issue

I could go on endlessly.

I seriously wonder what is this near fetishisation of "European DNA"?

All corporates are scum at a broader level and will do everything possible to cut costs, increase profits.
I agree with your point of view about, how every company is here to increase profits, but I do not believe few people / incidents / mistakes define a company. I appreciate Maruti Suzuki for its reliability but at the same time I can’t praise it for build quality, same is with the European DNA, in this case with Skoda and VW, they make drivers enthusiastic cars with good build quality but can’t be praised for their reliability.

An example where Maruti Suzuki had problems, I can’t let such examples define my perception about reliability of a Maruti Suzuki car because like I said, few mistakes / incidents / people can’t define a company.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...failure-4.html (Ertiga, Dzire & Swift: Gearbox Synchronizer Failure)

I am completely fine with you measuring all of the car companies with one stick but what I mentioned above is my point of view.
EmpyreanKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:39   #459
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Are those Yellow, Red and White interiors for real? I cant believe this comes from the same company known for minimalistic and clean lines.
Wouldnt those be a big distraction for the drivers?
Old 4th August 2021, 12:30   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a recall. I'd laud the Koreans for recalling their deathtraps and fixing their structure, but are they doing so?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th August 2021 at 12:32.
sid3091 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 12:49   #461
BHPian

Someone on youtube is claiming that this is a Taigun base model, if they are correct, then its nice to see rear wipers and front fog lamps on base model.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 4th August 2021 at 12:51.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 12:59   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBorne View Post
Not sure if my understanding is right, but the basic difference in the structure of export Seltos vs Indian Seltos was the use of high strength steel structure for A,B, and C pillars instead of ultra high strength steel
The Indian SP2i Seltos is actually an entirely different car from the SP2 version. It's pretty much a Captur-Kaptur difference, it's just that the interiors of the localised version are similar-looking too (the two cars can be distinguished based on the head unit being attached to the instrument cluster panel in the SP2i version). Take a look at Post 14 on this useful thread (Are Indian Kias different from developed-market Kias? If so, how?) by a fellow BHPian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
This is exactly my concern here as well. Why is there no mention of Ultra-high strength steel in the safety slide? This would mean that they haven't used much in the structure?
Ultra-high strength steel isn't necessary for a good structure. It is, however, important to reduce mass while maintaining longitudinal tensile strength. It's possible to engineer a car to be structurally sound with little AHSS content, however, it's likely that Kia simply didn't bother while designing the Indian car. However, there is no evidence that this is not the case with Volkswagen too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
So the MQB-A0-IN vs MQB-A0 after all is no different than Kia's SP2i vs SP2 in that case?
Until a public crash test, we can only hope not. Volkswagen India knows that crash safety is among their biggest USPs, and is a reason why the Polo still outsells some competitors despite being almost 11 years old now. Hopefully, they've done their homework. It's possible that MQB-A0-IN really just means India-specific changes like a cheaper infotainment system (the Volkswagen 'Play' system for developing markets), seats and other parts shared with the older PQ25 cars that have been in production in India for a long time, lowering of the floor hump, etc. It's important to note that Volkswagen has a history of safe cars in India, while Hyundai-Kia have consistently performed average at best in every Indian crash test.

However, what's also important to note is that the last Volkswagen that was publicly crash-tested for India was launched in 2010, when priorities were different. Volkswagen made truly premium small cars back then, before dieselgate and their subsequent cost-cutting in other areas. Let's keep our fingers crossed. This will probably be a model of interest to Global NCAP.

Anyway, crash-testing aside, am I the only one who thinks the deep red plastics on the dashboard actually look nice? I'm not usually a fan of body coloured interior panels but I find these appealing, at least in this colour. I didn't like the look of the digital cluster as much as the analogue dials in this case though. I'm not concerned about the sagging headliner but I wish it was neatly stitched like it is in the Polo (I haven't been in the car for a long time, please correct me if I'm wrong), because the unstitched ones are a pain to keep clean and also feel cheap.

A 1.5TSi dual-clutch (or better, a 1-litre automatic) with thorax airbags and head curtains would be nice considering how mad the public is at Škoda for not offering these on the Kushaq.

Last edited by ron178 : 4th August 2021 at 13:26.
ron178 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:59   #463
BHPian

Sales-person called me and informed that the launch is scheduled on August 20th
anto1212 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 14:20   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Nothing wrong with a recall. I'd laud the Koreans for recalling their deathtraps and fixing their structure, but are they doing so?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
So you ignore the willful corporate malfeasance resulting in the largest fine in Auto Industry history?

And nice bit of hyperbole there, "death traps"...sure.

Here are all the cars tested by GNCAP (Indian cars that is)

Le Safest VW has a literal zero rated car in India - the 2014 Polo without airbags.

https://www.globalncap.org/safercarsforindia
Old 4th August 2021, 14:23   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Le Safest VW has a literal zero rated car in India - the 2014 Polo without airbags.

https://www.globalncap.org/safercarsforindia
We are OT but doesn't GNCAP give out zero stars to any car without airbags?
JithinR is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed