Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 14:28   #466
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

Le Safest VW has a literal zero rated car in India - the 2014 Polo without airbags.

https://www.globalncap.org/safercarsforindia
A Rolls Royce or a Volvo or a Mercedes or any car without airbags will be a zero rated car by GNCAP. Did you check body shell integrity in this report that you quoted ?

Also please read the last statement under adult protection of that report. An answer for many car owners who think that 6 airbags in a car is a clear sign of safety even without considering integrity of body shell.

Last edited by steadfast : 4th August 2021 at 14:40.
steadfast is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 15:54   #467
BHPian

Quote:
So you ignore the willful corporate malfeasance resulting in the largest fine in Auto Industry history?

And nice bit of hyperbole there, "death traps"...sure.

Here are all the cars tested by GNCAP (Indian cars that is)

Le Safest VW has a literal zero rated car in India - the 2014 Polo without airbags.

Buddy, VW are being fined to hell for dieselgate as they deserve, while Kia and Hyundai are being rewarded with bumper sales.

Also, as per my knowledge any car without airbags is awarded the lowest possible score in their safety rating irrespective of how solidly made they might be, and if you have to go to a 2014 hatchback with no airbags, it doesn't put the Seltos in a good light.

And yes they are deathtraps. Firstly a 20l mass market daily use car barely getting a 3* is something that should make all indians angry, especially when the US variant has a safer structure and a 5* rating.

Second, I hate to bring up the insta crowd but in this case they've done a good job in exposing Kia's and Hyundai's awful build quality and general contempt for the Indian car market.
sid3091 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 16:59   #468
BHPian

Quote:

Hey, that's a misguided take. All zero airbag cars get zero stars. If you scroll a little bit more in the same link you have sent, you'll see the exact same car with two airbags has managed to score 4 stars for adult and 3 stars for child, with the bodyshell rated stable as well.

On a global scale, most manufacturers generally make safe cars, ones that wouldn't require as much speculation and debate like here in India. It's unfortunate that this is the case, but going by past track-record, it's clearly evident the Korean twins have botched their cars (subtly), taking advantage of our government's lax regulations. This is not to say Volkswagen's cars aren't modified for India, but at least their past cars have proven to be reliably safer. It is a consolation, and it's sad we have to accept it, but we can't settle for it. Hold everybody accountable, but let's not mislead.
sunnysideup_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 17:02   #469
BHPian

According to Mr. Girish’s comments which were got from the link posted 3 pages back looks like there is going to be dsg with 6 airbags.
In case this has been posted earlier please ignore.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-fd821365aad04b9cb8ff1b751162ca3d.png  

spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 17:22   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
According to Mr. Girish’s comments which were got from the link posted 3 pages back looks like there is going to be dsg with 6 airbags.
In case this has been posted earlier please ignore.
I was leaning towards the Kushaq manual while my dad wants me to buy an automatic (it'll be a first for our family). I was using the 6 airbags as an excuse but now i'll have to think twice.
Old 4th August 2021, 17:22   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

After which VW made 2 airbags standard as the first company in India. Other followed suit.

You can also see same link has Polo with 2 airbags getting 4 stars.
Vid6639 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 17:42   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
Attachment 2187891

Roof lining looks poor quality just like Kushaq.
I don't know what is this new found obsession of trying to press the roof liner to check its quality. Just for reference tried doing that in my Audi and that pressed as well. The flex in the roof liner can never be a determinant of its quality, the material used on the hand definitely can be that, for which we should wait till we check the car personally or a proper review comes.
prateekchanana is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:09   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
Sales-person called me and informed that the launch is scheduled on August 20th
From the internal sources what I know is that bookings open mid august and price reveal and dispatches start from mid September.
Old 4th August 2021, 18:11   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Bootspace of the Taigun.

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-836f332e31014fffb66205c5d8789c7f.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:30   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
VW Taigun on road: More presence than Kushaq?

Attachment 2188079
"Simply Clever" design masterstroke from VW. The wider grill design definitely gives it a better road presence when compared to Kushaq.
Old 4th August 2021, 19:00   #476
BHPian

Quote:
So you ignore the willful corporate malfeasance resulting in the largest fine in Auto Industry history?

And nice bit of hyperbole there, "death traps"...sure.

Here are all the cars tested by GNCAP (Indian cars that is)

No offence at all mate but please get over the hate you have for VAG cars. As a Korean car owner you seem to get triggered a bit too much when someone mentions their appalling safety and quality standards and you try scouting for every single peace of negative press for VAG to just prove your point somehow.

We had a similar discussion in the Kushaq thread and it went too far with all the hatred involved. VAG has delivered safe cars throughout and the Koreans haven't. Mods may delete this post if it doesn't seem appropriate, just is a kind message from one Bhpian to another.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 4th August 2021 at 19:01.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 19:33   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
No offence at all mate but please get over the hate you have for VAG cars.
To begin with, you are completely right.

I don't recollect the exact specs of the cars I have owned in the past but I am a stickler for good documentation. Pulled out my file for my 2010 1.2 TDI Highline in Emotion Blue. That little car was called "Baby Truck" within my family.

First incident - A Police Jeep came out of a lane (About 40 to 45 km/hr) onto a main road not caring to look or see. Massive side impact to the front left door of Baby Truck. Although the Polo door was changed, there was barely any damage to it and more importantly on impact the car barely moved.

Second incident - The car parked on the road outside my building. At about 1:30 AM there was a massive sound of crashing of cars and screeching. Lots of people rushed down. An Innova (pieces of the bumper had fallen off and hence we got to know what car it was) had rammed into my car and 4 other cars. Mine being the worst impacted. The front left wheel moved from the footpath to on the footpath. Such would have been the impact of the Innova. This was to the drivers side door. Damage - Door was straightened a little bit and repainted by VW.

This car had dual airbags. In both cases they were not deployed and the body shell happily took the beating. That was one bloody tough car. Credit must be given where its due.

Last edited by NevGin : 4th August 2021 at 19:43.
NevGin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:03   #478
BHPian

I was waiting for announcement about the digital instrument cluster on Taigun, but I think they are offering it only on the top end 1.5 DSG GT trim, if they could have included it in style 1.0 MT, it would have been awesome, I am now more confused between what to choose. To avoid going OT I guess I will post a proper query in another thread, to get advise from wiser minds of Team BHP.
Old 4th August 2021, 21:14   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
I was waiting for announcement about the digital instrument cluster on Taigun, but I think they are offering it only on the top end 1.5 DSG GT trim, if they could have included it in style 1.0 MT, it would have been awesome, I am now more confused between what to choose. To avoid going OT I guess I will post a proper query in another thread, to get advise from wiser minds of Team BHP.
Top-end 1L TSI is getting the digital display as well albeit in blue colour compared to the red of the 1.5L TSI GT+ DSG.

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-1f23be96a8e345b2ae470a91d1ef7594.jpeg

Credits: Zigwheels
CEF_Beasts is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:40   #480
BHPian

Just curious, on reliability front whether Kushaq’s DSG is any different from Taigun’s ?
I understand both have DQ200.
But if reliability was a priority, which one to pick?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed