Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2021, 11:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview

The Taigun will be locally manufactured whereas the T-ROC is a CKD. If a T-Roc is priced at 21 ex showroom, approximately how much can one expect to cost on road? Can anyone throw some light (Perhaps current T-ROC owners)
Old 31st March 2021, 11:24   #17
BHPian

My 2 cents:

Looks like neither Skoda nor VW are ready to launch the Kushaq and the Taigun anytime soon (read next 6 months)

These curtain-raisers are probably only meant to deter potential buyers from switching to competition.
pannags is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:40   #18
BHPian

Taigun and T-Roc are visually so different unlike Kushaq-Karoq.
I guess there is scope for T-Roc to be continued after launch of Taigun.

Strange strategy regarding vehicle unveils from Skoda-VW.
abhkop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:42   #19
BHPian

MQB A0 TRoc is a sub 4m SUU which comes in CBU format. This is the same platform as Taigun which has nomenclature MQB A0+IN .. Does the IN which denotes heavy localisation mean a much lower material of construction?

Something which Renault tried to do with the KAPTUR. The indian version was way inferior to the Euro spec car.

I am happy owner of a Vento TDi AT, love the DQ200 unit. Done 83000kms in 4 years. Hopefully this will be my next upgrade in 3 to 4 years.
svmvale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:46   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How EXTREMELY STUPID to not allow our cameras . Compare that to how Skoda permitted us to shoot whatever we wanted. Only reason I can think of is, the cabin isn't yet ready. But then, they could have simply blackened the windows as the Jeep Compass unveiling did. This is VW's most important car since the Polo & Vento a decade ago, but imagine the shoddy treatment. Talk about cutting the branch you are sitting on.

Back to the actual car, VW & Skoda are definitely onto something with their crossovers. If they are priced well, they will be successful and prove to be a viable alternative to the Korean siblings. Can't wait to drive it later this year.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:54   #21
BHPian

Taigun appears to be pretty good. But looks like VW group introduced new nomenclature for events.

0. Naming event.
1. With camo event.
2. Pre-static reveal (no interiors shown to public)
3. Static reveal (both interiors and exteriors will be shown to public)
4. Variants reveal event.
5. Price reveal event.
6. Test drive event for auto journos. (not sure what ifs and buts are in this event)
7. Reveal event at dealer level.
8. pre-booking event.
9. Booking event.
10. First car roll out event at factory.
11. Delivery event at dealer level.

Boy, these two has to be very good cars with all the hype they are creating.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Since the naming is so confusing, can someone explain the approximate price bracket for all four and their would be competitors ?
The T-Cross and Kamiq won't come here as the Taigun and Kushaq which are based on the Indian version of the same platform are already here.
The Taigun and Kushaq will go up against the Creta and Seltos in the 12-18 lakhs ex showroom category(not yet launched).
The T-Roc(21.35L ex showroom)and Karoq(24.99L ex showroom) are currently competing in the Tata Harrier-Jeep Compass territory.
JohaanTJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:01   #23
Team-BHP Support

I feel like VAG’s 2.0 project is finally taking off. Nice little cross-overs, competent turbo petrols, rock-solid European build – I can see them doing well in the respective segments, if priced well (like how they did with the CBU T-Roc),.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
• Some noteworthy features are - 6 airbags, ESC & Hill Hold Assist (standard across all variants), 3-point seatbelts for all passengers, ventilated seats, digital cockpit, 10-inch touchscreen, ambient lighting, auto headlamps and wipers.
This is one key point for me! It may not help in any added sales numbers but something for the rivals to take note of, especially on the safety side. I believe even a 30 lakh Jeep Compass comes with a lap belt for the rear middle passenger.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:03   #24
BHPian

Why are people surprised with this piece-meal unveiling.

The reasons are obvious. They are not ready but at the same time they need to ensure that prospective buyers dont go ahead and buy a creta/seltos. The premium market is limited and losing 20-30k customers over the course of next few months before they launch the car needs to be stopped at all costs.
lina is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

VW/ Skoda may be cooking up the best meal yet, but their competitors are already seating customers at the table ! Hyundai has already started unofficial bookings of the Alcazar as per media reports.

https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/ca...reports/738789

One may like or hate the Hyundai/Kia group companies, but you got to hand over to them when it comes to agility of product launches- Venue, Seltos, Sonet, (new) Creta, now Alcazar all within a span of 2 years!

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 31st March 2021 at 12:05.
fhdowntheline is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

VW group's strategy is good. They know that they cannot launch latest generation Polo/Fabia in India due to high cost. They will be forced to price the base variant ~ 6L ex-showroom which they will not be able to do.

Solution: Take that platform stretch it a bit, increase ground clearance, give it a pseudo SUV look, and launch it with good engine-transmission combinations.
Result = They can now easily price the base variant ~ 9.5-10L Rupees.

Last edited by Latheesh : 31st March 2021 at 12:09.
Latheesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:09   #27

Seems like the senior execs at VAG are gonna get a good hike in FY21 (Financial Year 2021) for checking "2 product launches in FY21" off of their goal sheets.

The event just seems like a waste of time. No additional information given over the Auto expo launch

I have been personally waiting for both cars (Kushaq and Taigun) but am deeply disappointed by the slow pace of things.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:14   #28
BHPian

Here's a video which should give a fair understanding of how the Taigun would visually stack against its main competition like Creta and Seltos.

Main assumption : Taigun and TCross will have near identical proportions

Knowing Spanish is a bonus and might reveal more
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20210331120928_youtube.jpg  

Last edited by JishD : 31st March 2021 at 12:16. Reason: Cant see URL in post
JishD is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the bit by bit unveiling approaches, looks like it will be ready for buying when I plan to upgrade 2 years down the line

Good to see the Volkswagen has this renewed focus on India with a bunch of products, but being a sedan guy, disappointed that all of them are flavors of 'SUV's.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmvale View Post
MQB A0+IN .. Does the IN which denotes heavy localisation mean a much lower material of construction?
Please, why should localisation be construed as lowering of quality. Knowing the Germans as well as I do, they may falter on strategy or/and pricing or/and service, but not quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Back to the actual car, VW & Skoda are definitely onto something with their crossovers. If they are priced well, they will be successful and prove to be a viable alternative to the Korean siblings. Can't wait to drive it later this year.
Waiting for that very, detailed assessment! (mind the comma ) I could care less about how the interiors look or feel, knowing how function precedes form in the VW world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenboi View Post
Seems like the senior execs at VAG are gonna get a good hike in FY21 (Financial Year 2021) for checking "2 product launches in FY21" off of their goal sheets.

I have been personally waiting for both cars (Kushaq and Taigun) but am deeply disappointed by the slow pace of things.
Agree, and ditto here!
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed