Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2021, 14:05   #46
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
It seems like VW has already started the production of the Taigun. My dad has booked a Polo TSI and the dealer is saying Polo production is slow given VW is right now prioritizing Taigun. They really want to enter with a bang if this is true
Started production but not willing to show the interiors in unveil event ? Also, they have themselves said the launch in around September, so if they are going into production now, do they launch before that ? Not sure whom are they trying to fool or confuse by doing all this. GTO also mentioned that it seems their cockpit is not ready that's why they did this. This statement from dealer sounds more like an excuse to justify the Polo delay etc or may be because of shortages whole auto industry is facing. Fingers crossed, lets see how it pans out.

Last edited by viscosity : 31st March 2021 at 14:06.
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:05   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsp View Post
Note to Moderators: Please change the car name/spelling from 'Tiguan' to 'Taigun' in your closing post in other thread.
I got confused first, why the link of 'Tiguan'attached to 'Taigun'thread.
Thanks! Will have it done. Truth be told, I have also gotten confused between the two names at times, especially when I'm at work doing a zillion things. Trivia = this is perhaps the only anagram of a name we have in India. That is, Tiguan can be rearranged as Taigun (exact same alphabets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Please, why should localisation be construed as lowering of quality. Knowing the Germans as well as I do, they may falter on strategy or/and pricing or/and service, but not quality.
1. I have yet to see any Indian car that had better quality than its international counterparts.

2. Specific to VW, you just need to see the Euro-spec Polo's quality with what is being sold in India. Of course, Indian Polo is still good, but the Euro version feels much superior.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:13   #48
BHPian

I think this event is planned only to keep the news alive and try to hold the prospective customers till the launch. The interior design is not fully ready it seems. Atleast they revealed the features. Then VW should have released their official exterior images and videos and no need to plan any media event with embargo and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmvale View Post
MQB A0 TRoc is a sub 4m SUU which comes in CBU format. This is the same platform as Taigun which has nomenclature MQB A0+IN .. Does the IN which denotes heavy localisation mean a much lower material of construction?
T-Cross is based on MQB A0 platform same as Polo. T-Roc is based on MQB A1 platform same as Golf. Both are not Sub 4m SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
• MQB A0 - Volkswagen T-Cross - Skoda Kamiq = Sub 4m cars, priced at kia sonet turbo/venue turbo level
• MQB A0-IN - Volkswagen Taigun - Skoda Kushaq = 4.2 metre cars, creta seltos competitors
T-Cross is 4.11m long and Kamiq is 4.24m long. I think Skoda might undercut Seltos/Creta (to compensate dimensions and missing features) but won’t be priced in Sonet/Venue territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Surprising to see koreans not far behind Germans in build quality. They are making rapid progress in every sphere of automobile engineering. Their engine- gearbox tuning in recent times is spectacular. It takes superhuman effort to challenge and topple the Korean twins in the foreseeable future
Unfortunately the build quality and progress is not seen in the safety front (body shell). And the potential safety issues in brake and steering systems faced by customers. It’s a simple that one has to cut costs somewhere to price the product competitively. Kia has done it safety front and VAG is doing it in dimensions (detailed review will reveal the useable interior space) and few comfort features. In this case, I would support VAG’s strategy. If customers want everything without compromise the they should be ready to pay the price and move to next segment.
gopi_rm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. I have yet to see any Indian car that had better quality than its international counterparts.

2. Specific to VW, you just need to see the Euro-spec Polo's quality with what is being sold in India. Of course, Indian Polo is still good, but the Euro version feels much superior.
I completely agree. When I first saw the Golf MK5, I was completely in awe of how well-built the small car was.

What I was pointing to was that while the build quality may differ from the west, that may not be as much influenced by localisation as other factors. Essentially, just because localisation is high should not necessarily mean the overall quality proportionately reduces.
Old 31st March 2021, 14:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

The VW Taigun seems a much better package than the Skoda Kushaq - it has got some design and styling elements which will attract people (tail lights are a WOW). It has the digital cockpit, a better looking steering with physical knobs for the climate control. I am pretty sure it will be priced higher than the Kushaq.

However, when compared with the Korean twins, there is not much of a USP. Rather, it misses out on the panoramic sunroof, electric seat adjustments, and electronic parking brake (I am not even talking of the fancy features like the 360 camera, ionizer etc.) and NO rear DISC (ironical with the claimed emphasis on safety). With so much investment, so much time and effort spent on this India 2.0 project, I am not sure why they couldn't come up with a segment beating car. They are late to the party and they needed to raise the bar for the segment. But, sorry to say, they seem to have failed.

At this moment, VW have to play the pricing card if they need to compete with the Koreans. Otherwise, this will struggle to cross a couple of thousand cars per month. Obviously, some enthusiasts will buy it for the build, ride and handling etc. But I thought VW really wanted to transcend the barrier with the 2.0 project and take this to the masses.
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:55   #51
BHPian

The car looks good typical VW. I also feel the strategy of these events is just to keep the customers engaged. I know few friends who are waiting for these cars to get launched so that they can decide between the Koreans and Germans. I guess this strategy is working for them as some customers who are not in a hurry might wait.
Old 31st March 2021, 15:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely a great thing to see a new car coming from VW to Indian market. No doubt about it. Together with the Kushaq and upcoming ones - lets hope the brand-brothers finally break into the volume sales segments for the long haul in our market. Really need someone from the west to put up a fight to the eastern offensive.

That said - the Taigun really is the least likeable VW for me (looks are subjective so no offense to anyone). It is a big departure from VWs subtle simple design philosophy that I have always loved - and the departure is not really in the right direction IMO. Perhaps this is VWs assessment of what sells in our market. they might well be proven right of course.
Reinhard is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 16:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Looking at the bit by bit unveiling approaches, looks like it will be ready for buying when I plan to upgrade 2 years down the line

Good to see the Volkswagen has this renewed focus on India with a bunch of products, but being a sedan guy, disappointed that all of them are flavors of 'SUV's.
VAG will launch a sedan by Q1 2022. This will replace the current Vento/Rapid and will be offered with the same engine spec as Taigun/Kushaq. I guess even the length will be limited to 4.2mm if it underpins the same MQB A0-IN platform.

Watch from 8.45 where Ashish Gupta says they will be launching a sedan by 2022 as many players are vacating the sedan segment and this is an opportunity to offer a good product in the sedan segment.

swoosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 16:19   #54
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
VAG will launch a sedan by Q1 2022.

That sedan is the VW virtus.
Thread here ---> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...d-india-2.html
S15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 17:03   #55
BHPian

Finally a new design from VW in the Indian market! I personally really liked the overall styling of the car from the looks of it so far. While I can't fathom why VW had such a strange strategy when displaying the car, if the interior is as good as the exterior then VW has a winner!

In terms of the features, the Koreans have always been ahead of the Germans at least when it comes to VW models in India and the Taigun is no stranger to this treatment that VW India gives to their lineup. At the 'supposed' pricepoint this car is going to retail at, I really feel having more features would give VW the upper hand, e.g. having manual seats on a 15 lakhs+ car in 2021 just doesn't cut it anymore! When it comes to 'adding' features in the car, VW simply waits and follows the market until those features that were once premium become 'standard', speaking from my personal experience of owning VW cars over the past 12+ years.

Overall however IMHO I'm really happy with how this project is turning out since this is a 'maker or breaker' for VW India at least for the next 5 years.
Old 31st March 2021, 17:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Unfortunately the build quality and progress is not seen in the safety front (body shell). And the potential safety issues in brake and steering systems faced by customers. It’s a simple that one has to cut costs somewhere to price the product competitively. Kia has done it safety front and VAG is doing it in dimensions (detailed review will reveal the useable interior space) and few comfort features. In this case, I would support VAG’s strategy. If customers want everything without compromise the they should be ready to pay the price and move to next segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
However, when compared with the Korean twins, there is not much of a USP. Rather, it misses out on the panoramic sunroof, electric seat adjustments, and electronic parking brake (I am not even talking of the fancy features like the 360 camera, ionizer etc.) and NO rear DISC (ironical with the claimed emphasis on safety). With so much investment, so much time and effort spent on this India 2.0 project, I am not sure why they couldn't come up with a segment beating car. They are late to the party and they needed to raise the bar for the segment. But, sorry to say, they seem to have failed.
Quoting my previous comment. If the cars in that segment need to be priced competitively, then cost must be cut somewhere (compare the cost of same models in developed markets) and you see where the Koreans and VAG cut costs. You cannot expect the VAG to offer everything Koreans offer and do not compromise on safety, ride/handling, etc. I appreciate VAG's strategy of not loosing their DNA to break into the mass market. Everyone knows what is compromised in the mass market cars and I am happy that VAG did not take that direction. I would have some trust in the repeated public comment from Zac mentioning that localization has no compromise in safety and ride/handling aspects. And even with all four wheel DISCS in the Korean segment leaders, there are potential safety issues reported by owners (one of my friends worked with a main supplier (Korean) in Germany to Hyundai/Kia group and he knows how the ECU SW is developed and tested and he told me one day that he would never buy the Hyundai/Kia cars). For me any day, the vehicle stopping distance/power and brake pedal feedback are more important than whether rear axle is fitted with drum or disc brakes. The emphasis on safety must be proved in a systemically laid out test procedure (e.g. GNCAP) to ensure the complete system works as expected and not from no. of discs or airbags.
gopi_rm is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 17:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELLY K JOSE View Post
As per dealers, KIA Seltos Facelift will have only minor feature additions like Sunroof. Is it really going to affect the market.
The Seltos is already a very competent package. Addition of small features like Panoramic Sunroof and Paddle Shifters will only add to its appeal. And not to forget that it already is a very popular and successful car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post

Furthermore, It would be interesting to see the Fuel Economy of these cars, considering they are only petrol. As a prospective customer, I would be buying only if FE is more than 15KMPL in City.
I dont think getting 15kmpl in city from a powerful Petrol engine is realistically possible. You might get that on highway runs with a light foot but in city expect the FE to be around 10-12 kmpl.
I have a Vento Tsi 1.2 and get around 10-12 kmpl in normal city traffic and around 16-18 on highways when driven sedately (~100kph) , 13-15 when driven a bit enthusiastically.
Old 31st March 2021, 17:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Quoting my previous comment. If the cars in that segment need to be priced competitively, then cost must be cut somewhere (compare the cost of same models in developed markets) and you see where the Koreans and VAG cut costs. You cannot expect the VAG to offer everything Koreans offer and do not compromise on safety, ride/handling, etc. I appreciate VAG's strategy of not loosing their DNA to break into the mass market. Everyone knows what is compromised in the mass market cars and I am happy that VAG did not take that direction. I would have some trust in the repeated public comment from Zac mentioning that localization has no compromise in safety and ride/handling aspects..
Unless you are some insider having access to information which is not available to general public, how do you know that VW has not compromised on safety? The development of Indian specific platform itself is a cost-cutting measure and we don't know what corners have been cut. And sorry to say that we can't just go by what the manufacturer claims. If the car is tested by GNCAP and certified as 5*, then I will agree that VAG has done the right tradeoff by prioritizing safety over creature comfort. Till that point, nobody knows and omission of rear disc brakes does not give me confidence in saying that safety has not been compromised. But, happy to be proven wrong.
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 18:08   #59
BHPian

Name:  Dimensions1.png
Views: 3377
Size:  87.0 KB

Given that we won't see the car in person anytime soon, I tried to imagine its dimensions. The overall length does not matter as much to me as the wheel base will take care of seating comfort.

However to imagine width, as a comparison, I took the dimensions of my existing 2007 Honda Civic. I find the width of the Civic perfect and roomy for my liking. The external width of the Civic is 1753 mm and the internal usable width (Left to Right, front door panels) is about 1375mm.

The Taigun external width is very close at 1760. If they offer a similar internal space (left door to right door panel) this could be roomy enough.
NevGin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 18:18   #60
BHPian

Another beautifully built EU car from VW!! What a beauty it is from the outside. I'm pretty sure that it would follow the same quality standards in the interior as the Kushaq as well because, you know..

What again surprises me is the delay in the commercial launch (this being just the first look) which is supposed to happen by mid to end of Aug only. Like what happened for Kushaq, I feel that is a very long timeframe to keep the launch a hot topic and people would have to start all over again to feel the good stuff they have to offer, wait for a TD then book and eventually we see the car towards Q3 2021

I am in the progress of doing a bit of research on this front as in why the car manufacturers, (specially EU ones) follow this kind of a strategy and how they try to make the newbie releases hotcakes to sell which is certainly not the strategy when we move to APAC manufacturers. There, it is exactly the opposite. Example - First look in Feb, Cars available in showroom by end of Feb or mid March, Sale commenses by end of March and we see the cars on the road by then.. Looking interesting so far.. Will write a thread on it pretty soon..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed