Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 13:38   #151
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview

Please note that these are just computer generated images! Maybe these are not yet ready in reality which is why they didn't allow people to take pictures earlier! Hoping the real one is better than these images.
Old 13th April 2021, 13:45   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtox View Post
Hey, but there is also a chance that this interior reveal concerns that of a grey or silver toned car with the same body tone inside as well. We can't rest easy until they reveal the same interior for one of their funkier exterior colours!
The screens look neat and clean!
I see what you are saying and there is always that possibility. But the image shown is of the digital render of a yellow exterior paint, you can see that on the inside of the ovrms.

There is an autocar article which says other colors will be offered. I hope it would be an option and not mandatory with certain variants.
SBM3J is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 17:53   #153
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A better interior image, just came in from VW:

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-taigun-interior.jpg
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:12   #154
Senior - BHPian

Looks like somebody at VW simply decided to swap all the "funky" orange with "drab" grey color palette.
From one extreme to the other, IMHO.

Doesn't match the "Hustle Mode On" tagline of the Taigun, at all.

Let's see what it looks like in person, though.
Old 13th April 2021, 18:49   #155
BHPian

From the pics it's evident that lot of hard plastic has been used on dashboard and door panels. But love the layout and proper integration of touchscreen. ��
Old 13th April 2021, 18:57   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A better interior image, just came in from VW:

Attachment 2144063
I sincerely hope the handbrake lever is placed closer to the driver's side unlike the official picture where the handbrake lever is next to the passenger seat. Else, I wouldn't want my passenger to accidentally pull it up by any chance.
Old 13th April 2021, 20:11   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I sincerely hope the handbrake lever is placed closer to the driver's side unlike the official picture where the handbrake lever is next to the passenger seat. Else, I wouldn't want my passenger to accidentally pull it up by any chance.
I think Nexon also has a similar passanger side placement for handbrake. Pretty risky I agree especially if there are kids in front seat.
Old 13th April 2021, 20:15   #158
BHPian

Hard plastics, manually dimming IRVM, no e-brake, no (visible) paddle shifters, no ventilated seats (or visible buttons for them), no physical buttons for climate control and infotainment.

Was hoping the Taigun will be the ideal upgrade from my GT in a few years time and perhaps my last IC engine. Maybe VW as always would add some of these in future facelifts like they did with the Polo/Vento lineup.
Kingston is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 21:08   #159
BHPian

Have been a VW owner since 2013. Used 3 diff service centres ( due house shifting). If you re a work shop enthusiast ( like me) and understand stuff , a walkaround in a VW service centre is nice. The floor guys know their jobs well and reasons behind it. So well trained. The service manager is pretty helpful and quite happy to sort out any issues one might have even post service ( free pick and drop incl). The waiting area, far better than other brands. Somehow , none of them have a cafe nearby where one can get a bite if one wants to hang around.

IN New Delhi , VW spares (OEMs) are available at the same price as a dealership. Where one saves on , if you get your own mechanic to do the job is labour + GST. AND, the service manager's are pretty helpful here too incase one wants to cross check on your mechanic's diagnosis.

So VW as a brand in service is pretty good. And yes, they dont force you to change parts , but rather explain what will happen, with logic, should you not want to at that time, unlike other brands. S0 VW service is actually v v good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Having owned a Honda City in the past, I would say VW service is way better than Honda atleast in Delhi. Honda people start looting once your warranty gets over. Whereas in VW if you have good association with the Service Manager you get hassle free experience and discounts on parts & service. In addition you can see your car serviced standing right next to it. For me VW after sales service has been way better than Honda.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2021 at 11:18. Reason: spacing for improved readability
darthvader5000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:39   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
Have been a VW owner since 2013. Used 3 diff service centres ( due house shifting). If you re a work shop enthusiast ( like me) and understand stuff , a walkaround in a VW service centre is nice. The floor guys know their jobs well and reasons behind it. So well trained. The service manager is pretty helpful and quite happy to sort out any issues one might have even post service ( free pick and drop incl). The waiting area, far better than other brands. Somehow , none of them have a cafe nearby where one can get a bite if one wants to hang around.
IN New Delhi , VW spares (OEMs) are available at the same price as a dealership. Where one saves on , if you get your own mechanic to do the job is labour + GST. AND, the service manager's are pretty helpful here too incase one wants to cross check on your mechanic's diagnosis.

So VW as a brand in service is pretty good. And yes, they dont force you to change parts , but rather explain what will happen, with logic, should you not want to at that time, unlike other brands. S0 VW service is actually v v good.
Totally agree and even affordable now.

In 2014, paid around 28k for just the clutch and pressure plate change of my Polo diesel.
But 2 months back, paid 33k for clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and master piston cylinder change. I am sure no other brand can offer such affordable overall clutch assembly prices at their ASS.

Regarding quality of clutch, 1st clutch was changed at 98000 km and at 1.05 lakhs burnt the new clutch in Shimla but it still worked for another 50,000 kms and finally second clutch was changed 2 months back at 1.55 lakh kilometres.

Last edited by steadfast : 14th April 2021 at 10:41.
steadfast is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:32   #161
Senior - BHPian

Anyone else thinks that the interiors will look awful adorned with cheap and shiny plastics? I find these pictures terrible and hard to digest. VW group is known for classy and quality interiors while this seem to be the exact opposite - cheap and gaudy. I hope it looks better in person.

So far, whatever we have seen of the Taigun and the Kushaq, it looks like VW/Skoda has messed up the India 2.0 big time and all the time and money invested in this project will go down the drain. Sorry to say, but, neither of these cars have shown any class leading features or design elements to take the battle to the Koreans. Some of the areas where they seem to be lacking behind -
Size, butch looks and road presence (big factor for lot of the target audience)
No electrically adjustable seats
No electric parking brake
No panoramic sunroof.
No 360 camera
Smallest boot.
Narrow width, difficult to accommodate 5th passenger.
No soft touch materials on the dash ( probably)
auto-dimming IVRM (??)
paddle shifters (??)
no one touch up down for windows other than the driver (this is present in all VW cars)

The only USP could be the driving experience and build quality, which could excite some of the enthusiasts. However, the Creta and Seltos have a pretty powerful 1.4 Turbo-petrol engine and so the difference in performance might not be much. About build and safety, there is scope for VW/SKoda to take the lead. However, we will need GNCAP tests to confirm the same and also prove that the indianisation (cost-cutting) of the MQB A0 platform has not compromised on structural integrity and safety.

Right now, for VW/Skoda, the only way to success is to undercut the competition and highlight the superior safety of their cars (if it's true). I was having very high hopes from these 2 cars but very disappointed.

Last edited by adimicra : 14th April 2021 at 12:34.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:52   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Anyone else thinks that the interiors will look awful adorned with cheap and shiny plastics? I find these pictures terrible and hard to digest. VW group is known for classy and quality interiors while this seem to be the exact opposite - cheap and gaudy. I hope it looks better in person.

So far, whatever we have seen of the Taigun and the Kushaq, it looks like VW/Skoda has messed up the India 2.0 big time and all the time and money invested in this project will go down the drain. Sorry to say, but, neither of these cars have shown any class leading features or design elements to take the battle to the Koreans. Some of the areas where they seem to be lacking behind -
Size, butch looks and road presence (big factor for lot of the target audience)
No electrically adjustable seats
No electric parking brake
No panoramic sunroof.
No 360 camera
Smallest boot.
Narrow width, difficult to accommodate 5th passenger.
No soft touch materials on the dash ( probably)
auto-dimming IVRM (??)
paddle shifters (??)
no one touch up down for windows other than the driver (this is present in all VW cars)

The only USP could be the driving experience and build quality, which could excite some of the enthusiasts. However, the Creta and Seltos have a pretty powerful 1.4 Turbo-petrol engine and so the difference in performance might not be much. About build and safety, there is scope for VW/SKoda to take the lead. However, we will need GNCAP tests to confirm the same and also prove that the indianisation (cost-cutting) of the MQB A0 platform has not compromised on structural integrity and safety.

Right now, for VW/Skoda, the only way to success is to undercut the competition and highlight the superior safety of their cars (if it's true). I was having very high hopes from these 2 cars but very disappointed.
Looks like the conversation VW had about India 2.0 was as below:

*Lets find out what we can cut off from our cars to cut cost which are not offered by the competition? Out goes the one touch window up/down on all door, quality plastics etc, I will reserve judgement on the steel used until I see it in person.
*Lets see what we can offer competition offering without adding too much cost. In comes digital driver display, wireless charger, mutli color dash. But cant include Panaromic Sunroof, air purifier, electric seats they are costly.
*Lets do the customer focus groups to find out why our cars are not selling. Group comes up with 100s of suggestions. VW Management: here is a cheap suggestion from the group, our cars doesn't have enough chrome, so give them a lot of chrome.
*Also VW management: our offerings are premium so we will price them premium, now that we have more chrome, it would sell like hot cakes and we can short change the customer because you know "we are premium".

I just hope they are not holding off the features for the facelift to shortchange the early buyers, that would be even worse.
SBM3J is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 13:13   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtox View Post
Hey, but there is also a chance that this interior reveal concerns that of a grey or silver toned car with the same body tone inside as well. We can't rest easy until they reveal the same interior for one of their funkier exterior colours!
The screens look neat and clean!
The renders published seem to be of a yellow-coloured car. So, hopefully funky coloured cars also have the option of sane interior colours
Old 14th April 2021, 16:13   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the unfortunate consequences of the slow pace VW has shown from the original Taigun concept reveal to the production model launch is that fleet-footed competitors have plagiarized various elements of its design and released cars in the market way ahead of the Taigun arriving.

The Taigun was revealed at Auto Expo 2020, in about 8 months, Kia launched the Sonet. Look how Kia has taken the twisty chrome diffuser strip element above the grill of the Taigun (that wraps around the front fog lamps), given it an extra set of twists and slapped it on to the top variants of the Sonet! In the same way, they have taken the similar chrome element from the rear of the Taigun and done the same cut-paste job on to the rear of the Sonet. Kia is so unimaginative that they did not even dare to change the direction of the curve - upward curve in the front and downward curve in the rear

Kia has even lifted some part of the of the horizontal reflective tail lamp element running side to side at the rear from the Taigun into the Sonet, although they made it thinner.

I find Hyundai and Kia have no design identity of their own and are always stealing ideas from European competitors and mixing and matching them and releasing these elements even before the original from the Europeans hit the street. We have so much uproar about Mahindra copying the Jeep Wrangler in the Thar's design, but the Koreans are no better. Instead of copying from one car, they copy various elements from multiple cars so it is harder to pin them down. The headlight cluster in the Creta with the linear DRL above the low-set, C-Shaped headlamp and sheet metal in between these two lights was flicked from the Harrier's design.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-picture1.png  

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-picture2.png  

Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview-picture3.png  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th April 2021 at 16:26.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 16:50   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Taigun was revealed at Auto Expo 2020, in about 8 months, Kia launched the Sonet.
Even Sonet was unveiled at the Auto Expo 2020, just a day after the Taigun's unveil.

The similarities are either co-incidental or imaginary.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed