Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2021, 00:38   #511
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview

A preview of the digital instrument cluster. Quite disappointing from my perspective, they shouldn't call it digital cockpit if the the screen can't show digital dials.

Rather than an upgrade, this feels more constrained from experience point of view.

CarBorne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 01:10   #512
Team-BHP Support

From the pics, it looks like instead of the dull grey in the Kushaq's cabin, the Taigun is using a grey and beige mix coloured scheme in the cabin. Looks more premium than Kushaq IMHO.

But the virtual dials are useless. Why are there blank red semi circles on both sides?

These virtual dials have been the worst thing to happen to automobiles. Loses the entire character of the cabin vs having good old school speedo and tacho. The virtual dials are cheaper with just a screen and software vs machined needles + dials + illuminated markings on the old school dials. Replaced all this mechanical tooling with a programmer sitting in front of a PC.

The VW only has 1 dial in virtual mode so you cant see the tacho; you show the speedo alone or if you want the tacho, the speedo is digital on the side.

Last edited by GTO : 7th August 2021 at 08:49. Reason: PM coming up
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 07:38   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The virtual dials are cheaper with just a screen and software vs machined needles and dials and illuminated markings on the old school dials. Replaced all this mechanical tooling with a programmer sitting in front of PC.

The VW only has 1 dial in virtual mode so you cant see tacho is you show the speedo alone or if you wan tacho the speedo is digital on the side.
Exactly! I guess this virtual dial seems to be a cost cutting measure on top variant (like missing airbags in Kushaq) rather than a premium feature. Either VW should have provided proper virtual cockpit (similar to TRoc) or the usual mechanical dials with colour MID (available off the shelf with VW).

After seeing the cost cutting measures coupled with premium pricing in both Kushaq/Taigun, I feel the current gen Rapid/Vento seem to much value for money offering except for the missing 1.5 TSI.
Old 7th August 2021, 08:26   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
I saw this button on steering of Taigun, which seems to be missing from Kushaq and if I remember correctly in one of the interviews Mr. Ashish mentioned that Taigun will have features which is unique, is it by any chance this could be ADAS, which was also predicted in one of the news of Team BHP
The button is present on the Kushaq, and displays the message 'Button without function' when pressed. It's intended for ADAS systems (AEB, lane keep assist, rear cross-traffic alert, etc)

It's unlikely that the Taigun will have these but I would be pleasantly surprised if it does. Could be the differentiator it needs over competition that otherwise seems better equipped. (Lane Keep Assist would be hard to implement in India though)
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 09:47   #515
BHPian

More details on the GT variant lineup. The feature distribution of the GT line keeps getting more confusing.

Apparently, the top-spec GT will also not get ventilated seats, etc, while the instrument cluster is a sub-par downgrade as discussed above. Feels more like a unit from Magnite than a 15 lakh car.

The probably mid variant will miss out on Push-button start as well.

Still a better compromise than not having 6 airbags in the top end in Kushaq. No clarity on it though.

Curious to know how does VW plans to justify the premium pricing.

CarBorne is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 09:59   #516
BHPian

Just saw this ^ [in the above post] on YouTube. Based on this it looks like top end GT will miss out on ventilated seats and leatherette seats.

If that’s true, they are swapping 6 airbags for ventilated seats for price parity. I just hope I am wrong on this. For me 6 airbags and ventilated seats are both important. I don’t know if the will skip tpms also in GT top end.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th August 2021 at 10:12. Reason: Video shared above, hence removed the You Tube URL. Thanks.
SBM3J is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 10:54   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBorne View Post

Apparently, the top-spec GT will also not get ventilated seats, etc, while the instrument cluster is a sub-par downgrade as discussed above. Feels more like a unit from Magnite than a 15 lakh car.
Another bummer here from Volkswagen, rather from the VAG group. Top end misses out on some of the essential features which are offered in the lower variants. Kushaq missed 6 airbags and now Taigun misses on ventilated leather seats.

I fail to understand this - a person spending more than 20L on top end model, would he not spend 50k more to get those 1 or 2 missing features? Wouldn't he want at least those features which are present in the lower variants?
dh.harshal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 12:45   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
Another bummer here from Volkswagen, rather from the VAG group. Top end misses out on some of the essential features which are offered in the lower variants. Kushaq missed 6 airbags and now Taigun misses on ventilated leather seats.

I fail to understand this - a person spending more than 20L on top end model, would he not spend 50k more to get those 1 or 2 missing features? Wouldn't he want at least those features which are present in the lower variants?
This is so annoying. I was really excited for a fully loaded GT variant, but no a top end kushaq manual looks to be a better buy. If i have to spend more than 20l i'd much rather save up for a t-roc or a compass limited (0), than get this half baked GT taigun.
sid3091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 12:46   #519
BHPian

One more strange thing is the TPMS system on kushaq only indicates in text which particular tyre has low inflation, for example it will say on MID “Check Front Left Tyre” instead of displaying the actual numbers on MID, I am not sure if it shows something on touchscreen or not, but why such adaption of TPMS? I am sure VW will do the same with Taigun.

Another drawback that comes to mind is, if two or three tyres low inflation then, how will the system warn about it? In a traditional system it’s easier with numbers shown for all four tyres.
EmpyreanKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 13:56   #520

When we say it is a top-end, any novice customer would expect all bells and whistles.
Not sure what VAG is planning here - To distribute the sales between Kushaq and Taigun? Hope it does not backfire on them.
Old 7th August 2021, 14:26   #521
BHPian

Taigun GT 1.5 almost crosses 100 in 2nd gear.

ramki.grandhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 14:43   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
One more strange thing is the TPMS system on kushaq only indicates in text which particular tyre has low inflation, for example it will say on MID “Check Front Left Tyre” instead of displaying the actual numbers on MID, I am not sure if it shows something on touchscreen or not, but why such adaption of TPMS? I am sure VW will do the same with Taigun.

Another drawback that comes to mind is, if two or three tyres low inflation then, how will the system warn about it? .
I believe it's not a real TPMS system using sensors in wheels. It is an ESP based system which will be only able to detect wheel speed differences due to under inflation. Hence you don't get actual tyre pressure readouts but rather only notification of one wheel having lost pressure compared to the rest. But I am not sure what happens when more than one tyre has lost pressure.

Looks like there are quite some short cuts this way. For me the colour TFT cluster is a bummer since we can't view speedo and tacho at the same time the conventional way if required.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 15:13   #523
BHPian

With all these shortcomings in the recent new launches, we should appreciate how Seltos got it almost perfect! I say almost, wishing only if the NCAP rating was good. It has perfect stance, good looks, ergonomics sorted, clean dials, good engines, decent mileage, and all the utility (not bling) features like 360 camera, ventilated seats, TPMS, etc. It feels like the perfect all rounder in this segment, barring the big blot of that unstable body shell.

I wish, Kushaq/Taigun had gone the Seltos way on the launch and people would have been flocking their showrooms. Feels like a big opportunity lost by VAG.
And the prospective customers are either still waiting for more or compromising one or the other basic expectation.
dh.harshal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 15:36   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
With all these shortcomings in the recent new launches, we should appreciate how Seltos got it almost perfect! I say almost, wishing only if the NCAP rating was good. It has perfect stance, good looks, ergonomics sorted, clean dials, good engines, decent mileage, and all the utility (not bling) features like 360 camera, ventilated seats, TPMS, etc. It feels like the perfect all rounder in this segment, barring the big blot of that unstable body shell.
Just the shoddy build quality isn't the negative of Seltos. The ride quality is bone jarring, it's size to price ratio isn't really great, the styling though catchy in the beginning has now aged drastically in under two years, and it no longer looks that eye catchy (busy styling cons). Some bits like general Hyundai cost cutting like non illuminated power window buttons, smaller and non alloy spare wheel, no passenger side request button etc. are a turn off. I am also seeing many people being unhappy with the aftersales service.

I am sorry I digress, Seltos is still a great product, but has many shortcomings apart from the dismal Gncap ratings.

PS-Not implying Kushaq/Taigun are perfect, just pointing out other shortcomings of Seltos.
07CR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 18:59   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBorne View Post
Rather than an upgrade, this feels more constrained from experience point of view.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=KS5B5md_vyg
This video says Audi Inspired Virtual Cockpit on VW Taigun.
How is that?
I checked and saw a lot of Audi Car's Virtual Cockpit. But none of them seems to be similar to VW Taigun's Virtual Cockpit.
Anyone has any idea?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks