Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2007, 11:37   #31
Team-BHP Support

another thing I noticed is that I don't see the sonata anywhere in the print media etc.,
Hyundai can improve sales with aggressive marketing and positioning and comparison against the Laura low end/Octavia high end models.
Brands do not get created out of thin air.
Look at the US, both Sonata and Elantra are now considered worthy opponents to Honda-Toyota rule, and Kia is doing extremely well in the lower segments.
So while the fact that hyundai has no snob value is true, let me remind everyone that once skoda was a nobody, and now its considered to be a luxury brand.
In the higher segment Hyundai is lacking vision.
In my personal opinion, Hyundai lost all its vision the day subbu left.
Old 1st May 2007, 11:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
another thing I noticed is that I don't see the sonata anywhere in the print media etc.,
Hyundai can improve sales with aggressive marketing and positioning and comparison against the Laura low end/Octavia high end models.
Brands do not get created out of thin air.
I didnt even realize there was a Sonata CRDi out there in the market!
Old 1st May 2007, 22:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Most mags say, Embera has a narrow powerband.
What people dont realize is that at same rpms , it would still be faster than the LAura.
And I dont think the Embera block is an unrefined one. Have had a small encounter with a neatly parked Embera diesel and could hear the exhaust note. I know this dosent provide a true picture but still.

A nice car with poor luck.
Also with the new look Accord and Camry selling in the Indian market, Sonata Embera though countable on Indian roads looks dated now.
Old 1st May 2007, 22:38   #34
Team-BHP Support

Narrow powerband thingy does not even count 10% to the dismal sales.
ITs the hyundai brand+hyundai's unwillingness to try and push the brand down people's throats.
Old 1st May 2007, 22:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai should start doing agressive marketing. Also they keep chaning the prices which customers dont like, They regret when they come to know the company slashed prices because of poor sales.
Old 1st May 2007, 23:25   #36
BHPian

Thoughts..

It's positives so far:
- A state of the art engine with probably the best power in its class (diesel)
- Space (especially compared to the Laura)
- After sales service (especially compared to the Laura)
- Running costs/ FE (especially compared to the Accord)

Negatives
- The interior finish and plushness is nowhere near an accord or the Laura - something that is expected in a 15L+ vehicle
- I wonder how the narrow band of power will affect city driving (Any one has some feedback?
- Priced at 17.5L on road is still too close to the accord price and hyundai does not seem to learn - everyone is waiting for them to drop their prices, whereas if they had gone aggressive (given their lack of success with the petrol model), they could have taken a lot more business away from Skoda and Honda. Alternatively, they should have really made it plush (like they have done in the US) and the trim levels are better and cheaper than the Accord. Its not the case here. Simple example - they removed the audio controls from the steering wheel in india!
Old 1st May 2007, 23:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

To reiterate from an earlier PoV, Hyundai has not displayed the necessary confidence to push this car. And resorting to any massive price cuts will be deemed by the Indian public as the end of a Hyundai product line
Old 2nd May 2007, 09:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
It's positives so far:
- A state of the art engine with probably the best power in its class (diesel)
I recall a print Ad in the US where they advertised it as your best business card or some such thing. Makes a lot of sense, because at just about $22000 (about Rs. 9L), it appeals to young wannabe executives.

I think there were similar hoarding advertisements in India. At the price they are forced to sell it at here, Hyundai should have made it's technical specs its selling point, maybe even with some subtle comparisons to other cars in that class.

Quote:
- The interior finish and plushness is nowhere near an accord or the Laura - something that is expected in a 15L+ vehicle
About 6 months ago, I was driven around in a Sonata (petrol) for a few days. I didnt get to drive it, but I was not impressed with the back seat at all. I cant put a finger on why I felt this way, but it definitely felt way cheaper than an Accord on the inside, despite similar usage of materials (leather seats, etc) - almost like it belongs to a lesser segment. Everything else about the car I guess was good, but was relegated to the background because of perception.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:00   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I didnt even realize there was a Sonata CRDi out there in the market!
Very true. Of the many people who I know have opted for a D-segmenter, their list did not include the Sonata at all. The awareness factor (especially of the CRDi) is woefully low. Considering that the other diesel D-segmenter is selling reasonably (Laura), I am sure the Sonata diesel could do with a better chance.
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

In late-April 2007, Hyundai US unleashed TV commercials pitting its vehicles against upscale brands such as Lexus and BMW . The spots boast-There's nothing smarter than buying a Hyundai. One commercial has the Sonata sedan facing off against the BMW 525i. It touts Sonata's more spacious interior and its horsepower advantage. The Sonata does offer an optional V-6 making 235 hp, compared with the BMW I-G's 215 hp.

Another commercial shows the Lexus LS 460L self-parking. Hyundai confesses that its full-sized luxury vehicle, the Azera, doesn't selfpark. But the spot brags about lots of amenities and at less than half the price of the Lexus. So an Azera owner can afford to pay someone to park the car.
"Azera - smart move."
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai confesses that its full-sized luxury vehicle, the Azera, doesn't selfpark. But the spot brags about lots of amenities and at less than half the price of the Lexus. So an Azera owner can afford to pay someone to park the car.
Thats a smart advertisement.
Old 2nd May 2007, 21:58   #42
BHPian

The Hyundai website does not have a power curve of their CRDi engine. Would anyone have any insights on where one can get hold of it. It would be interesting to see at what RPM does the torque kick-in, especially for city traffic conditions..
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:37   #43
BHPian

hyundai USA also shows a commercial where the santa fe competes with a Range Rover and it proves to have a better pick up and handling except the Range Rover is better than the santa fe in just one feature - "more cup holders".
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The Hyundai website does not have a power curve of their CRDi engine. Would anyone have any insights on where one can get hold of it. It would be interesting to see at what RPM does the torque kick-in, especially for city traffic conditions..
Could be same as the one here - PSI motorsport : Diesel Tuning : PowerBox
Old 5th May 2007, 16:02   #45

I am want to select car between HONDA CIVIC AT and SKODA LAURA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks