Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2007, 16:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately don't have the break-up of the skoda laura and octavia sales[967 totally],similarly dont have the petrol/diesel breakup of the sonata either but what I can say is that the sonata sales have more than doubled compared to what they sold in june last year[ about 25]

Its only because of the accord the other cars are looking bad.Honda really has a magic charm,inspite of only having a petrol option and increasing prices compared to the previous model their sales have actually doubled nearly compared to last year.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 24th July 2007 at 16:10.
Old 27th August 2007, 13:09   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
So, basically even though the car has the perfect recipe for a guaranteed success in our market:

1. Good Looks (albeit a bit inspired!!)
2. Diesel engine
3. Lots of space
4. Good Service Support

It fails because the engine is not refined enough but more importantly because at the price the brand does not have the Snob value which the buyer's also want.
Irags, on a similar note to your thread....why did the Hyundai Tucson bomb? Good space, cracker of a common-rail engine and a pretty decent ride / handling package.

I drove one over the weekend and couldnt figure why so many who chose the CRV didnt even consider the Tucson. Or maybe we have answered the question already within the Embera discussions.
Old 27th August 2007, 13:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Irags, on a similar note to your thread....why did the Hyundai Tucson bomb? Good space, cracker of a common-rail engine and a pretty decent ride / handling package.

I drove one over the weekend and couldnt figure why so many who chose the CRV didnt even consider the Tucson. Or maybe we have answered the question already within the Embera discussions.
Hmmm.... that had me thinking for a long time too Rush but ultimately I guess it boils down to the same old factors i.e. Stupid Pricing, Brand Image (Or the lack of it) & not good enough looks.

I think if they had priced the Tucson at 12-13L on-road it might have sold well for them.
Old 27th August 2007, 14:41   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

1. Pricing : I think its overpriced by a lac....but then, it also has a fantastic diesel!

2. Brand image = Agreed.

3. Looks : Except for the slightly quirky front end, it looks pretty neat. Especially rear three-quarter.
Old 27th August 2007, 15:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
A thought struck me that in the Civic posts, there is a lot of mention about the low GC despite it being 170mm.

The embera has a 170mm GC, the Accord 155mm, the Camry 160mm and though there is mention occasionally of FE, there is hardly if not no mention of GC. In this segment is it a non-issue as compared to lower segments? Or despite the low GC figures, it is not as bad as the Civic or other similar vehicles?
yes rangaraj, i fully agree with you on this ,looking for experts to comment on this please
Old 27th August 2007, 16:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A thought struck me that in the Civic posts, there is a lot of mention about the low GC despite it being 170mm.

The embera has a 170mm GC, the Accord 155mm, the Camry 160mm and though there is mention occasionally of FE, there is hardly if not no mention of GC. In this segment is it a non-issue as compared to lower segments? Or despite the low GC figures, it is not as bad as the Civic or other similar vehicles?
Civic has a soft suspension. GC doesnot matter much, its how the suspension is set up.

FYI the Octavia has a GC of 134mm ever heard of it scrapping the bumpers?
Old 27th August 2007, 18:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

I have driven this car quite a bit, over 1000 Kms - A friend has one - I really liked this car - its a very strongly built car. I love its looks, it looks very muscular especially from the rear, twin exhausts. And it gives over 13 kpl on the highway.

Pricing is I feel 1 - 2 lacs high.

BUT then as numerous discussions on this forum - Hyundai has a brand Image of upto 8 lacs cars and that is why this great car did not sell.

Look at Skoda here in India - over priced cars ( Base Model - 12 lacs + ). But people still buy it.

Hyundai has to do something seriously about their Image and the only way of selling its Emberas / Tucsons & Elantras - they should sell it at a great price and then see how the market reacts.
Old 27th August 2007, 20:28   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Pricing is I feel 1 - 2 lacs high.......they should sell it at a great price and then see how the market reacts.
True. The price gap between the Elantra CRDi (9.12) and the Embera CRDi (15.75) is too much. Hyundai does not have a vehicle to bridge this gap. They would have done well to price the Sonata Embera lower and get more market share.
Old 28th August 2007, 16:31   #69
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of Hyundai Sonata's, this is the 2009 model which will take on the 2009 Accord.

Check out the size of the rear door, it will give generous legroom if nothing else.
Old 28th August 2007, 16:35   #70
BANNED

Hope 2009 Sonata is not a rip off of a older Accord like the current Sonata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Speaking of Hyundai Sonata's, this is the 2009 model which will take on the 2009 Accord.

Check out the size of the rear door, it will give generous legroom if nothing else.
Old 28th August 2007, 16:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

Woaaa Hyundai already working on the New Sonata. IMHO the Sonata has a advantage with the diesel which the Honda lacks.
Old 28th August 2007, 18:41   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the spy pics of the 2008 Honda Accord, it looks like they've decided to 'do a Hyundai' and rip off the current Sonata Embera!

Bits of the new Accord front look a lot like the Embera while the rear has the high lip of the Bangle BMW 5 series!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Hope 2009 Sonata is not a rip off of a older Accord like the current Sonata.
Old 28th August 2007, 19:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Looking at the spy pics of the 2008 Honda Accord, it looks like they've decided to 'do a Hyundai' and rip off the current Sonata Embera

i think the spy pics of the 2008 honda accord and the pictures of the new sonata are distinctively different. the honda looks much better than the sonata.
sonata might be trying a varient for the sonata to increase the range in the model just like you have alot of models like jaguars, bmw, mercedes etc which come with normal as well as bigger rear doors and added space
Old 28th August 2007, 19:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Nope speedy thats the New Sonata, the bigger version is the Azera a completely different model.
Old 29th August 2007, 21:02   #75
BHPian

hey just got back from singapore and i must say the the embera is doing well there .. 80% of all taxis are embera's in singapore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks