Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2007, 19:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the Sonata Embera CRDI?

Was just wondering for the past few days that even months after the launch of the Sonata CRDI there is absolutely no buzz or news about it anywhere. Even on the road I've only managed to see a couple (compared to atleast 40-50 if not more, new Accords).

No BHPian has done a Test Drive of the car (or created a report on one) and no-one has been recommending it too. Is it a case of the car failing even before it properly hits the market? Or are the customers waiting for the usual huge discounts from Hyundai before buying it?

What do you guys think?
Old 26th April 2007, 20:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Well I was considering the car at one point of time. But by the market response and the few test drives I read of it I am in no hurry to go for a drive.

Seems like Hyundai cannot pull off sales of any car above 8L.

As per the reviews the Sonata CRDi has a very narrow power range. The turbo kicks in late and there is lots of turbo lag which results in a irritating city drive. Bit similar to the Verna.

Now that you reminded me I should be going for a TD soon.
Old 26th April 2007, 21:20   #3
BHPian

I think the car had some pretty bad reviews from practically everybody who has tried it.

Wonder what is going on because it is practically the same engine block as on the Elantra, with a VGT, and different mappings etc. And the narrow power band is the same, from 2000-4000rpm. And it is probably the same with every diesel car except the audis, beemers, mercs and probably the Swift diesel! So what makes it especially bad in the case of the Sonata CRDi?

Only a test drive will tell I guess, but then I am afraid to call for a test drive because then I will keep getting calls for ever, and I have no intention of buying something so big because that is something that can never be chucked around.
Old 26th April 2007, 21:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

So tadu, time to change the elantra? are we going to be seeing a Petrified Sonata?
Old 26th April 2007, 21:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post

Wonder what is going on because it is practically the same engine block as on the Elantra, with a VGT, and different mappings etc. And the narrow power band is the same, from 2000-4000rpm.
You're right abt that power band. It was further retuned for India to maximize its ~ 150 bhp between an even narrower 2500-3500 rpm with reduced power figures (bad fuel), keeping in mind chaffeur-driven highway cruising. So neither did it have enuf juice for its bulk in city traffic nor for top end acceleration.

But nothing wrong with the car generally - good engine and well executed car in fact. It looks like the Indian market has become as snotty as developed ones in buying an expensive Hyundai. However I also dont remember a single ad from Hyundai abt the Embera Crdi - it speaks badly of their confidence levels.

Having said that I'm sure Hyundai will be happy to sell one at even half the cost. You should trade in your Elantra minus the Pete's dabba and the other "stock" items and be able to walk away with a spanking new Embera Crdi - at no extra charge.
Old 26th April 2007, 21:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Was just wondering for the past few days that even months after the launch of the Sonata CRDI there is absolutely no buzz or news about it anywhere.

Or are the customers waiting for the usual huge discounts from Hyundai before buying it?

What do you guys think?
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of 'Hyundai' ? Most of us think of Santros, discounts, CRDi engines, BVR Subbu and Preity Zinta! How many of us think luxury, macho image and big V6s?

This explains Hyundai's predicament. The new Sonata is a not-so-bad car, but in the buyers minds it simply doesnt register like a Honda or Toyota when it comes to a D segment purchase. Even the soon to be launched Elantra is a decent car but that doesnt guarantee sales in India. This is not the case in more mature markets like the US where Hyundai competes on price, ever improving quality and of late, distinctive designs.
Old 26th April 2007, 22:09   #7
BHPian

The embera oil burner failed to attract potential buyers even though it's cheaper than the Accord. Does it mean Hyundai lacks snob value in D segment?
Old 26th April 2007, 23:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its a flop model...even before it came out it didnt create that much hype amongst buyers...it dosent give you that status symbol that the civic/octi would give...nobodys interested basically...
Old 27th April 2007, 00:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

The biggest problem with Sonata embera is a badge which shows a Y following the H instead of O.
When you have such a major problem with the car, other small problems start appearing big.
At 13L sonanata embera Crdi will sell, at the current price people will spend a little more and buy the one where O follows the H.
That said its a 200kmph+ rocket, and if you do not give 2 hoots about brand, this can be had for good discounts, depending on your bargaining skills of course.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Its a flop model...even before it came out it didnt create that much hype amongst buyers...it dosent give you that status symbol that the civic/octi would give...nobodys interested basically...
You have your answer Ishaan.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Tadu, get the ECU, wiring, turbo, injectors, and a few other things, and you will be way over 160 hp.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

You are lucky you spotted a couple ,so far I have just seen one on the road.An unknown brand[skoda]could garner so many customers in India with their diesel engines but not the company[hyundai] everyone is quite familiar with.

So maybe thats the solution call it the Kia Sonata.
Old 27th April 2007, 01:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

Skoda = Europe = Moose
Hyundai = Korea = Fish
Moose more exotic than fish
Old 27th April 2007, 01:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Eh, how did you come up with that one?
Old 27th April 2007, 02:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

what is it priced at, ex-showroom mumbai/thane?

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks