Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2007, 10:52   #16
BHPian

wouldnt venture into this kind of dodgy deal/place..since they are certainly rejected at QC, cant imagine the number things that could go wrong with the car once purchased!!
Old 27th April 2007, 12:04   #17
BHPian

Seconds - not all that bad

Guys,
Dont look down up on all factory seconds, haven't you guys heard abt 'Export Rejects', they too are seconds, but you get a whole lot of stuff for a steal.

There are these Scorpio, 207 Di export rejects with meaty rubbers and some real cool interiors. And I have seen pics of Scorpio Twin cab ones in Australia (i think so), they dont look all that bad. I dont think Mahindra has a factory else where, so they must be manufactured in India and shipped to those places

And some times, a broken side mirror, or a some scratches are all what takes a vehicle to be branded "EXPORT REJECT". I have even heard about Gypsys 4x4 being auctioned at Cochin port.

But then thats the catch, they are 'Auctioned', so being there at the right time with a wad of notes is important.
Old 27th April 2007, 12:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
If a car is dameged in transport, the insurance co sells the same in as is where is basis, Good ol Ambys when transported by road early days had such a setup.. not sure what happens.. and yes you had to purchase them by sealed tenders...
These days the body is tinkered & painted & sold as a brand new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
But then thats the catch, they are 'Auctioned', so being there at the right time with a wad of notes is important.

Knowing someone from the inside is more important.
Old 27th April 2007, 13:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Knowing someone from the inside is more important.
How high up?? will a sales and marketing guy be enough?? I though all we cud know was the date, well in advance
Old 27th April 2007, 14:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

You can take such chances with shoes, and clothes. But with a car? Dont. You never know what was the reason behind them being a reject.
Last thing one would want is to end up stranded somewhere when in an emergency.
Old 27th April 2007, 16:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Question is, are these "seconds" cars are better than used ones?

You are never entirely sure about a used car also.

Last edited by sajo : 27th April 2007 at 16:04.
Old 27th April 2007, 16:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question is, whether these "seconds" cars are better than used ones?
That is a very good point.My answer no.What do you gain actually,maybe a year or two less of depreciation and few free services[really doubt what they would be doing in those services].Who knows what is the defect in the car,what if it is so dangerous that it could be life-threatening,who would you hold accountable for whatever that happens.

While selling you could claim it as a single owner car but the buyer would definitely also want some reduction in the price tag claiming it an accident car or something like that.Also you miss out on warranty which is one of the biggest advantages of going in for a new car.
Old 27th April 2007, 16:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Who knows what is the defect in the car,what if it is so dangerous that it could be life-threatening,who would you hold accountable for whatever that happens.
come on, some thing like that is not gonna happen, after all what do we have this Quality Check for, they are the one who ensure that such things are not going to happen... and after all the company's reputation is at stake...

But on second thoughts, when my bro had done a survey on Ikon owners for Ford, all most all of them had atleast one incident where they felt their Brakes did not keep up with them... So i wudnt say the 'Export rejects' are any worse..
Old 27th April 2007, 19:12   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Can we know who the "honourable" manufacturers are..??
Benz and Toyota are the ones who follow this very strictly.
Old 27th April 2007, 19:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
That is a very good point.My answer no.What do you gain actually,maybe a year or two less of depreciation and few free services
As I said, you cant be entirely sure of a used car too, especially when its bought from a dealer.
Atleast in this case you are being told upfront that the car is "seconds". Since you say the discounts ran into lakhs in some cases, a small amount of the money saved can be utilised for giving the vehicle a thorough checkup at an A.S.C./Authorised dealer.

So is a vehicle with almost "0" kms done and a new car smell is better than a comparably priced one with thousands of kilometres clocked over a couple of years?
Depreciation on both cars might possibly be the same, or even higher in case of a "seconds" car, if you chose no to tell the buyer about its earlier status.

PS : Did you see this in Pune? If so, where?
Old 27th April 2007, 21:52   #26
BHPian

Have heard somthing similar before. Couple of years back, one of my friends came to me with a print out of an email that was circulated within Ford.

Mostly Ikons, they were the ones that were tested on the tracks repeatedly and had clocked some 20 -30K kms. These cars were atleast more than 18-24 months old by then. But the prices at which they were being offered were dirt cheap.

This was very specific to the employees. Not to anyone outside.

However, never heard on anything selling on the streets.
Old 27th April 2007, 21:56   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Factory rejects have silently existed in India, for as long as the industry. Its a known practice but there is a lot of hush-hush around it as no manufacturer wants to be associated with selling defective products. Its not only limited to the manufacturer but even the dealerships. Accident / body damage cars are the most common you will find in the "seconds" market.

However, there are some "honourable" manufacturers who use the factory rejects only for their employees.
Surprising! I was thinking that this could be something being silently done by dealerships, where the defective car is sold to some third part guy for some benefit, in which case i think problems would just be body scratches and things like that. But throws more light on this topic.

I read in Auto India quite a long time back, quite a few years ago that is, about this place near Delhi where old jeeps were refurbished and a seconds(but new) engine was bought from Mahindra for about 30k and reworked slightly to remove defects. So you would get a psuedo-new/old car( depending on your perspective ).
Old 27th April 2007, 22:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
I read in Auto India quite a long time back, quite a few years ago that is, about this place near Delhi where old jeeps were refurbished and a seconds(but new) engine was bought from Mahindra for about 30k and reworked slightly to remove defects. So you would get a psuedo-new/old car( depending on your perspective ).

Thats slightly different to the condition described in this thread. Thats the legal business where the Sikh gentleman who owns this specialized jeep refurbishing business, where the recipient jeep/chassis are purchased from Army auctions at a low rate, completely redone with a spanking new often imported big engine - per customer requirement. There's even a 1 yr warranty and 3 free services for the jeeps he sells. But - his is a perfectly legal, passion-driven business whereas the one described in this thread reeks of stench
Old 27th April 2007, 22:45   #29
BHPian

theMAG: Hey, thanks for the info. But I think you are talking about someone else though, because I am sure the unit I read about was using seconds engines from Mahindra. And even the refurbished vehicles had this shoddy paint job and stuff and sold for relatively low prices. So I don't think we're talking about the same place.
Old 28th April 2007, 00:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post

A wad of notes will just stick in your pocket. The moment these guys (the guys who have already fixed the deal) know that you are desperate, they will raise the price to levels which you will not like & if you continue to bid, you will take it at a very high price & not at a bargain, if you choose to back out, the auctioneer will make up somehow for the increase in this with another item that he auctions at a later date. i have been to these auctions & i know what transpires. these auctions are not for the common man.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 28th April 2007 at 00:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks