Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 11:57   #31
BHPian

Re: India-spec 2nd-gen Mercedes-Benz GLA engine details out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I am trying to convince him on the fact that discounts will surely kick-in around the festive season and year end. I fear that he will be heartbroken 6 months down the line, when he sees discounts to the tune of 5-8 lacs. Guess, heart wins over the head in such situations. He also has a quote for the A4 with about 9-10 lacs off the sticker price. Anyways, cant do much about it.

One last thing- If he decides to go ahead, will it be unfair to expect some discount now as well? Given the fact that the car got launched this week itself. Not sure if I am expecting too much
If he is that eager to get the car right now, I wouldn't say anything, then. But what you fear is absolutely correct and no matter what strategy MB follows you'll see discounts during the year-end peak seasons.

To put into perspective, the last-gen GLA used to sell at an avg. discount of 8-10L, depending upon the availability, during the peak seasons. This gen is already so overpriced that it is crossing the 50L territory. Undoubtedly, this GLA would be a slow mover in the sales chart unless price corrections are done. So if MB does not follow the new strategy it is planning to, you may expect and should only ask for discounts above 11/12L, at least (during the peak seasons, ofc). Then only the price paid for such a car would be justified to an extent.

If he's open to other options, you may also ask him to check out the X1 because it is nearing the end of its life cycle anyway and after the GLA launch, the X1 should be offered with some hefty discounts. Many BHPians have received offers of up to 11L discounts on the X1 in the Delhi-NCR region, during the year-end.
Talking about the A4 offer, if possible, ask him to negotiate for more. Audi is currently in its all-time low state in India and you should try for more and more. Last December, the A4 was available at an avg. discount of 12-14L. So try and negotiate harder.

Answering your last question, NO, it won't be unfair at all. Ask him to negotiate for 2/3L if possible. No harm in negotiating when one is already paying so much more for an overpriced machine. The discounts can be in the form of extended warranty packs or maintenance packs too if the dealer is not reducing the Ex-showroom price, as discounts.

Hope this helps, Best of luck with the purchase if he goes ahead.
sampadroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 07:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Well the size isn't everything - otherwise the Mini would be much cheaper too. What matters is quality and brand perception. Though yes, that 1.3 lit (turbo) petrol is a bummer - but also gives me hopes on good discounts on the petrol variants eventually

Still, thinking about it, the power figures of the petrol are not bad at all - it's beating the 1.5 TSI of the VW group!
Mini is a premium hatchback. This ugly contraption claims to be a SUV! Atleast the older GLA was pleasant to look at with a few sporty bits and peppy colors, this is like applying lipstick to the older B series hatchback. The design language.is all wrong, the low long snout, the rounded roof, the lowish stance all are against the SUV claim.
Old 29th May 2021, 12:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

GLA showing available in Mercedes website now.

Name:  Screen Shot 20210529 at 12.46.55 PM.png
Views: 5779
Size:  49.5 KB
Old 30th May 2021, 08:37   #34
BHPian

I think the GLA will be successful for Mercedes-Benz in the diesel guise. The 1.3 petrol is such an unfathomable choice of engine. This will be their single biggest weakness against competition like the Volvo XC40 and Mini Countryman. Customers are well-informed and I doubt that the petrol engine's current spec will pass muster.
Old 30th May 2021, 17:43   #35
BHPian

Although this gen makes for a much better package than before, the price isn’t justified at all. One should rather pick up a new C or even a pre owned E for this price.
Merc_Freak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 15:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Entry level Luxury SUV comparison:

2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA
BMW X1
Mini Countryman
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 17:25   #37
BHPian

Prices (ex-showroom) of the GLA have been officially increased on the Mercedes India website.

A full 1.5L increment in all the variants.

India-spec 2nd-gen Mercedes-Benz GLA engine details out-screenshot_20210604171520__01.jpg

Last edited by sampadroy : 4th June 2021 at 17:30.
sampadroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 19:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampadroy View Post
Prices (ex-showroom) of the GLA have been officially increased on the Mercedes India website.

Attachment 2163926
The GLC 220d with 4Matic had launched at 47.9L about 5 years ago. Prices have basically moved up one segment in a very short span of time.
thechinmay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 17:33   #39
BHPian

While I feel the GLA has definitely been overpriced my mindset towards price hikes is different. I feel price hikes are okay as long as the manufacturer justifies their reasoning or logic behind them e.g. more features added or production costs increasing drastically due to Covid etc.

Has Mercedes India made a direct/indirect comment as to why there has been a price hike on these models?
Old 5th June 2021, 18:03   #40
BHPian

I remember being offered a 2017 Mercedes GLA 220d in January 2018 for 32 lakhs ex-showroom. I'm sure I could've got it for 30 lakhs after bargaining.
Roughly 3.5 years, and how times have changed!

Last edited by Big Smoke : 5th June 2021 at 18:08.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 19:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
While I feel the GLA has definitely been overpriced my mindset towards price hikes is different. I feel price hikes are okay as long as the manufacturer justifies their reasoning or logic behind them e.g. more features added or production costs increasing drastically due to Covid etc.

Has Mercedes India made a direct/indirect comment as to why there has been a price hike on these models?

Well since the past few years all these luxury carmakers have increased their prices drastically without any real justification. In fact there seems to be a cartelization among the german luxury carmakers e.g. BMW introduced the Diesel X1 LCI in 2020 at around 39.9L. Today the same model is selling for 42.6L ex-showroom, funnily, no new feature and no value addition only sweet price increase. If we keenly study the price rise graph of these luxury carmakers for the last 5 years, we'll clearly see a pattern of artificial inflation of prices without real justification. In fact today, as a thumb rule, all the models of these carmakers are overpriced by a margin of 20-25% (minimum) which was passed back to the customers as dealer discounts.

And yes, the only simple explanation available from MBIL is that those were the introductory prices.
sampadroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 22:42   #42
BHPian

Being an owner of the previous gen GLA 200 top variant, I am sad, they've plonked in this 1.3L Renault in this beauty, though it didn't do very well with the more practical X1 just coming around when it was launched, being an owner of the E class with the same engine, and the GLS, I vouch for this car, that engine in that small vehicle made it pocket rocket, and the looks were so butch, they've gone the X1 way with the looks, and unfortunately very poorly with the drivetrain. I'm happy I have the 184hp version, and I only use it when off with a friend or two outside of Delhi, so much more fun and practical than its biggest counterpart.
np23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 13:22   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

GLA Media Car shows animation of the GLE front fascia on start up

India-spec 2nd-gen Mercedes-Benz GLA engine details out-c02b84842236487da5526f0f95246655.jpeg

India-spec 2nd-gen Mercedes-Benz GLA engine details out-92ace851f8404d63ad5ca977cfb04640.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPxTn4jA...dium=copy_link
CEF_Beasts is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 16:15   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampadroy View Post

I would have expected a reverse move with the switch to the franchise dealership model with direct invoicing by Mercedes. Lower published prices and minimize/eliminate discounts offered. Instead they have gone totally the other way around and increased prices! This is an insane move and makes the new strategy harder to succeed.

The only explanation I can think of is, they received unprecedented demand for this car and want to milk some profit after what continues to be a difficult year for luxury cars due to the pandemic.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 18:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I would have expected a reverse move with the switch to the franchise dealership model with direct invoicing by Mercedes. Lower published prices and minimize/eliminate discounts offered. Instead they have gone totally the other way around and increased prices! This is an insane move and makes the new strategy harder to succeed.

The only explanation I can think of is, they received unprecedented demand for this car and want to milk some profit after what continues to be a difficult year for luxury cars due to the pandemic.
Completely agreed!

I don't think they really received any unprecedented demand as I was recently talking to a dealer and MB is trying to sell the GLA with an introductory discount of 1.5L over their published rates for the first 300 customers. Seems like the GLA has a very little pull given its price dynamics.

Last edited by sampadroy : 6th June 2021 at 18:07.
sampadroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed