Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 17:35   #16
BHPian

Re: March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Overall, a good month for auto manufacturers in the month of March but a sad month for Honda City as it sold only 815 units while the almost decade old design Rapid sold more than Honda City. Any reason for decline in sales of Honda City? I hope the City will bounce back again to its no.1 throne.

But, what's surprising is, even after the crash test result and issues reported by Kia/Hyundai owners, still the Seltos was sold more than 10k units and 2k units less than the Creta and coming to the Creta, no surprises as it is doing 12k+ units consistently.

Even though the Sonet is cheaper than the Seltos, still Seltos sold more compared to its cheaper sibling.

Coming to Tata, they did an impeccable job in the sales. This shows that how people are concerned towards the safety and what's surprising is that the Nexon was sold more than the Sonet by just few units and good performance from Harrier/Safari twins as well. They are giving tough competition to MG in terms of sales and I hope that the launch of 2021 XUV500 will change the fate of these vehicles in terms of sales figures.

And, happy to see that people are still preferring the Ecosport even though its being a 8 year old design and did more than 5k units in terms of sales, which is excellent and surprising as well and sold more than XUV300 as well despite being an 8 year old vehicle.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 17:49   #17
BHPian

What's up with the sudden spurt in the Yaris' sales? MoM increase of a constant ~30% since January '21? Discounts? Or a silent upgrade/refresh?

Surely, the C2 sedan space is no-more the blue-eyed boy of the Indian Auto Industry, but Yaris and Verna have managed to keep the momentum running from January '21. With Ciaz maintaining a steady dispatch count of 1400-1600 units every month.

Very happy to see TaMo posting such strong numbers, and with their current line-up, they're sure to hold onto the #3 position atleast for a few months from now. Safari + Harrier (~4400 units) closing in the gap with Hector twins (~4700 units).

Mahindra and Honda look stressed. For MnM, new launches going forward might help to sustain numbers and Honda, probably is affected by the global semiconductor shortage.
Interesting to see Ford, a single brand survivor (EcoSport with ~5500 dispatches) doing better than Hondas' breadwinners (Amaze + City with ~ 5300 dispatches).

Nissan seems content with Magnite doing ~2900 dispatches. Funny and astonishing to see how 1 capable product can review a brand's otherwise dead fortunes!

Renault doing brisk business Kwid and Triber. Have heard a more powerful Triber is due to be launched? Too early to judge Kiger's numbers.

Kia maintaining momentum with it's portfolio - Seltos and Sonet. Carnival recording ~90% decline in sales. ANy idea why?

Usual business as always for Toyota, Maruti and Hyundai. All of their respective heavyweights and volume-pullers doing fairly well for themselves. MSIL, though, should be worried for DZire. Consistent drop from it's peak of 15000 (post Covid) to currently at 11000 dispatches translates into a ~30% reduction.

Regards,
Jigar Shah

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 7th April 2021 at 17:50. Reason: Text was missing
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 18:52   #18
BHPian

Looking at the numbers for Sonet, which have remained flat, could it be that the stiff ride quality is impacting sales? I did a 400 km road trip in a friend's Sonet (1.0 turbo iMT) and apart from the ride quality, feather light steering and default driving position (which was a bit too low for me and needed adjustment) found the car excellent in terms of features and ergonomics (not getting into the safety ratings aspect here). Unfortunately we could feel every bump and kink in the road and the rear seat passengers were going ooh aah ouch every now and then. Looking at the numbers I was wondering if word of mouth regarding the poor ride quality has got around. Strangely enough, I have found the ride of the Seltos much plusher, so I am a bit surprised that Kia couldn't replicate that with the Sonet.
Neversaygbye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 18:56   #19
BHPian

Two main reasons behind Maruti Suzuki decline:
1. Lack of a diesel engine is hurting at-least 20% across Models that are Swift and over. THe hurt is up to 50-60% on the models Brezza and above
Come to think of it: Hyundai has a diesel option in the i10 (1.1 3 cylinder), Venue (1.5 FGT), Verna & Creta (1.5 VGT)
2. Lack of a 6-speed automatic is hurting automatic sales Brezza and above

Unless Maruti Suzuki addresses above, they are in a secular decline. Being market leaders, expect that they will fill the gap by end of the year
bhpfaninblr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Looking at the numbers for Sonet, which have remained flat, could it be that the stiff ride quality is impacting sales?...
I called my SA today regarding my booking, he mentioned dispatches were low for March. I expect my car to be delivered this month as the base diesel automatic has been discontinued.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Whats going on with the Honda City? I think, for the very first time, it has the second lowest sales/dispatch numbers amongst the C2 segment sedans, that too just a few months after the launch of their new generation model. The only C-segment sedan that sold lower numbers was the VW Vento.

Even the (flopped) Toyota Yaris and (ancient) Skoda Rapid sold more this month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post

True. The only thing thats saving Honda is the diesel in their Amaze, and the cabbies seem to be lapping it up.
If the city fails, which it might, given the sales are already down massively, I guess Honda might start packing its bags up.
Exactly my thoughts. Just like Ford is trying to stay afloat by only Ecosport( and to some extent Endeavour), Honda is having only diesel Amaze as their rescuer now. It is sad to see the sales number of City,( which once used to be an aspirational C segment car & NA engine benchmark in it’s class) to fall below that of Yaris also!
Both Ford & Honda’s market share percentages are below 2.5%. And in this mode, both might be on the way to exit Indian market.
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RSEPOWER View Post
Just like Ford is trying to stay afloat by only Ecosport( and to some extent Endeavour), Honda is having only diesel Amaze as their rescuer now. It is sad to see the sales number of City,( which once used to be an aspirational C segment car & NA engine benchmark in it’s class) to fall below that of Yaris also!
Both Ford & Honda’s market share percentages are below 2.5%. And in this mode, both might be on the way to exit Indian market.
Endeavour is actually a blockbuster for Ford. Ford should manage much better margins on Endeavour than EcoSport despite latter being older. That said selling 5k copies of EcoSport after 8 years of launch speaks a lot about its relevance despite onslaught by newer models.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
If I were Mahindra I would be very very worried!
NOTHING is Selling there...
The Bolero is the top gainer if you see, with an 83% increase MoM. Mahindra should reward that sole KUV100 owner of the month.
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:52   #24
BHPian

Just curious - why is the Amaze, the largest selling Honda? Is it the diesel mill and CVT combo? Do we have the break-up between the petrol and diesel variants?
Old 7th April 2021, 21:06   #25
BHPian

Ecosport selling 5k+ units even 8 years after launch is a testament to the quality of the car. Imagine what wonders it could do if given a new lease of life. Ford are wasting an opportunity here.
rahulcmoulee is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 21:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Interesting to see Ford, a single brand survivor (EcoSport with ~5500 dispatches) doing better than Hondas' breadwinners (Amaze + City with ~ 5300 dispatches).
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
And, happy to see that people are still preferring the Ecosport even though its being a 8 year old design and did more than 5k units in terms of sales, which is excellent and surprising as well and sold more than XUV300 as well despite being an 8 year old vehicle.
After recent feature updates , Ford Ecosport Titanium had become an fantastic value for money variant. Even after price hikes by almost all OEM, Ford Ecosport Titanium Diesel retails less than one million rupee ex showroom. If you compare with Nexon XMS Diesel / XUV 300 W6 retailing around same ball park, which misses out lot of necessary features like height adjustable driver seat , height adjustable rear headrest, reverse camera, rear wiper/washer/defogger and good have features like alloy wheels, automatic climate control and day night rear view mirror. It only misses out Isofix child seat mounts. Sudden raise in Ecosport numbers indicate that fair share of people who invest their money do their homework before signing the cheque. With the addition of Electronic Brake Assist , Traction control , Electronic Stability control and Hill Launch assist to Titanium variant , Ecosport had again become value for money in sub compact segment. Sales number reflect my observation, happy for Ford and Indian consumers.

Last year, read some news on launch of Figo/Aspire automatic with 1.2 petrol engine in Autocar India , not sure on what happen to that project.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-launch-417954

As a package Figo/Aspire has lot of holes to fill. Revival of Figo/Aspire will not be easy task. Ford need to update the entire car with modern day necessities like projector headlamp, DRLS, Apple carplay/Android Auto and complete overhaul of interior as well.
rainmaster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 22:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Ecosport selling 5k+ units even 8 years after launch is a testament to the quality of the car. Imagine what wonders it could do if given a new lease of life. Ford are wasting an opportunity here.
Ford has wasted many many opportunities here. Despite being in country for 25 years they have nothing to show for it, despite having awesome range of products.

So many cars could have done well, the new Ford fieata was overpriced with lame petrol engine, then they went all diesel when petrol was making a comeback etc etc.

Creta space was open for grabs and Creta grabbed it with both hands and legs. 20+k consistently between Creta and Seltos shows how wrong other players have been.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th April 2021 at 09:49. Reason: Typo
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 22:18   #28
Team-BHP Support

I am mind blown by the dominance of the Creta. A 15 -20 lakh rupee product sits at number 5 where the 4 cars above it are at half the price. Not just that, if you think of the Creta / Seltos as one product, their combined sales would probably be behind only the Swift. I expect the Alcazar to only cement this platform's dominance even further.

The other impressive statistic is that of Tata. It has now put clear distance between itself and Mahindra (with Kia slotted in between). All its newer products are right up there in the top 20 products list and the Nexon, Altroz and Tiago each featuring in the 15 -20 S Nos.

The difference between Tata and Mahindra is that while both are taking out successful products (I am making some assumptions here regarding the all new XUV 5OO), Tata has the wider mass market base of vehicles finding favour with buyers.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 23:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
Well, the Scorpio still sold more than the Harrier, and its a 7 year old product, so lets not get too carried away here.

What next? New scorpio. New xuv500. Tuv300 as bolero neo.

True. The only thing thats saving Honda is the diesel in their Amaze, and the cabbies seem to be lapping it up.
If the city fails, which it might, given the sales are already down massively, I guess Honda might start packing its bags up.
The issue with Mahindra isn't that Scorpio is selling. The Bolero is selling 8K units. The problem is Mahindra seems to be worst hit by the production shortages. The Thar declined in production. XUV300 fell. Scorpio fell. They're obviously not launching new products because of the supply mismatch. Mahindra has a great portfolio of products and Kia has no business having a higher market share than Mahindra. I firmly believe the management of M&M have lost out on a brilliant opportunity to capitalise on this surge in the automotive sector. This might be temporary and their ramped up production maybe of no use by 2022.
rudrakshmahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 00:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Actually the sales of Alto and Spresso should count as one, and it is the highest selling at 24650 units. Spresso is nothing but slightly souped up Alto. Similarly Baleno and Vitara Brezza numbers will go up by 3000 units each if we add rebadged Toyota sales.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks