Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 09:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: March 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

• The Creta+Seltos+Sonet+Venue is basically a money printing machine for Hyundai. Other manufacturers must be drooling over Hyundai imagining the fat margins coming in. With the Alcazar and Hopefully the 7 seater Sonet, Hyundai could really be the market leader in terms of profits and margins earned.

• What is up with the City ? Is it the semiconductor chip issue ? How come certain manufacturers have plenty of stock while others don't ? For instance the upcoming Mahindra's are hit by chip shortages while Safari is flying off the showroom floors.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

So happy to see the spring in Ecosport sales. I also came across this article on a website, that currently Ecosport is the 2nd highest selling diesel manual C-SUV. Considering this and the fact that this car is basically an 8 year old vehicle, just goes out to show the fine engineering marvel it has been.

It can pose a serious challenge to Hyundai Kia twins if the following is done by Ford-

1) A diesel Automatic
2) A petrol Automatic in top end trims
3) SYNC 3 system in the Titanium variant as well (just like it was earlier)

If the above is provided, Ecosport can even manage 8-9K sales a month, cannibalizing Sonet/Venue along the way.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
If I were Mahindra I would be very very worried!
Moreover, I am not able to understand why Thar sales are in decline for the last two months.
speedguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:44   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
Those are Hector and Hector Plus combined sales. What's to be noted is that 55% of Hector twins' sales come from petrol engines. Tata on the other hand doesn't have any bigger petrol engine on offer with Harrier/Safari.
Exactly. Last weekend my wife and I test drove the Harrier in Delhi. The salesperson also confirmed that Petrol engines are nowhere in sight. My first preference would be a petrol engine today (Delhi NGT) and Harrier despite being a very competent product is missing out on a lot of opportunity here. I feel if TATA gets a sorted out petrol engine, Harrier+Safari could easily beat Hector twins
aayusht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:59   #50
BHPian

A good, steady trend upward in the overall sales - around 2%, healthy signs of the market regaining traction.

Maruti - Flattening around 43 - 45% for the past few months. I'd see this as the start of a trend against MSIL which could be due to the lack of Diesel offerings and a few missing no-brainers (such as Brezza AT).

Tata closer to 10% - What a stellar performance!!! From a good high negative sentiment last year to slightly positive (still way to go) sentiment. Kudos to the family!!

The market sees Honda's only car as Amaze. This is again a disappointing trend, being an ex-city owner. Could be due to the semiconductor issue, still, I pretty much feel that City and Jazz deserve more support from the market (and the manufacturer) than what it is actually getting. Almost the same is the case for Ford. EcoSport is the leader of their herd, with people showing good confidence in the new Endeavour.

Korean Dominance in both mini and mid-size SUV segment! They won't be replaced by ANYONE, ANYTIME soon! Shear confidence of the market reflecting in them. They have Alcazar coming up, so - their market share is expected to be slightly upward

Renault - The Underdog!! Silently, they managed to get to ~4% market share with their updated offerings.

VW & Skoda - Do something guys! You're offering nothing which is "wow-ing" the market currently. Let's hope Taigun and Kushaq will uplift their sluggishness after their launch around DIWALI
subramaniamj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 11:00   #51
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
Moreover, I am not able to understand why Thar sales are in decline for the last two months.
Must be something to do with the chip shortage, and the incoming XUV 700.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 11:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
I feel a lot of potential buyers entering Honda dealers with money in their pockets to buy the WRV, leave it disappointed after driving the 1.2 petrol. It's a horrible, horrible engine to plonk into a crossover that's nearly 1.1 tonnes on road. Fun fact - WRV shares most of its interiors with the Jazz. You could in fact swap floor mats and window shades between the two cars, and they'd fit perfectly. So it isn't the interiors that are the problem. Hondas' USP in my opinion is their drivability. You just *enjoy* driving the car. WRV petrol feels like an asthmatic gasping for air, and the monthly sales figures speak for themselves. Honda should aggressively start marketing the Jazz to anyone who as much as searches for i20/Baleno/Tiago/Kiger/Magnite and plonk the super fun 1.5 petrol into the WRV. Else we're sadly looking at another Japanese maker dying at the Korean altar.
What is the weight difference between the WRV and the Jazz? The sales executive hinted the same that adding the CVT to the WRV may not find takers, due to its weight.
Old 9th April 2021, 14:28   #53
BHPian

It's 2021 and automotive scene is never short of action. What's surprising and interesting is, two of the oldest Indian nameplates, Alto and Bolero, still churning out superlative sales numbers. Commendable!
Old 9th April 2021, 14:45   #54
BHPian

Award for the "Widest unaddressed product gap" must be given to Nissan for the gap between Kicks and GT-R!
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
So happy to see the spring in Ecosport sales. I also came across this article on a website, that currently Ecosport is the 2nd highest selling diesel manual C-SUV. Considering this and the fact that this car is basically an 8 year old vehicle, just goes out to show the fine engineering marvel it has been.
Echo your sentiments. I was extremely happy to see the rise in the number of Ecosport sales. 5000 plus units is not a mean feat for a car which has been around this long. Just goes to demonstrate empirically that a car with pedigree and solid fundamentals and mechanicals will sell in decent numbers. Also happy that there is a gradually expanding tribe of Ecosport owners on this forum. Have seen lots of posts on booking and delivery in the last few months.

That said, I want Ford to properly update the car in the coming year and ensure its continued relevant. A diesel automatic would be welcome (though might be less fun to drive than with the lovely snickety manual gearbox) and a good turbo charged petrol offering would also be extremely relevant today.

Also read on another thread that the Endeavour has sold 1000 units. That is also a solid number for a SUV in that category

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 9th April 2021 at 14:56.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 15:22   #56
pms
BHPian

Being a City owner feels sad to see this downward trend of Honda. Its surprising and equally disappointing that 2 decades of Indian market experience is not helping a global and bigger brand to launch some competent vehicles that can take on the likes of Creta, Seltos, Venue, Sonet, XUV, Harrier!!

Atleast VW is attempting in terms of T-ROC, Taigun, Kushaq, Karoq etc even though they still need to crack the value for money factor. Unfortunately Honda is still betting on sedans with no clear plans of utilizing the SUV market here.
Honda's i-Vtec is still a gem of an engine that could have been tuned/modified for a variety of vehicles (read SUVs) but alas one can only wish as the company top brass seems to be in some wonderland.

Wish Honda turns the table and come out with some impressive products.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 17:41   #57
BHPian

Who'd have thought that the best selling list would have just 1 sedan.

The way market is moving towards small SUV's and Crossover's, we might see the same happening to hatchbacks in a decade.
viren83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 18:32   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Looking at the numbers for Sonet, which have remained flat, could it be that the stiff ride quality is impacting sales? I did a 400 km road trip in a friend's Sonet (1.0 turbo iMT) and apart from the ride quality, feather light steering and default driving position (which was a bit too low for me and needed adjustment) found the car excellent in terms of features and ergonomics (not getting into the safety ratings aspect here). Unfortunately we could feel every bump and kink in the road and the rear seat passengers were going ooh aah ouch every now and then. Looking at the numbers I was wondering if word of mouth regarding the poor ride quality has got around. Strangely enough, I have found the ride of the Seltos much plusher, so I am a bit surprised that Kia couldn't replicate that with the Sonet.
I went in for the Hyundai Creta over the Seltos purely based on ride and drive quality. I think Kia design philosophy will need to change for india given the not so great condition of our roads here
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 18:49   #59
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
What is the weight difference between the WRV and the Jazz? The sales executive hinted the same that adding the CVT to the WRV may not find takers, due to its weight.
Jazz VX CVT is 1040 kg, vs WR-V Petrol VX is 1160 kg. Both are kerb weights. Significant weight difference, in my opinion. Adding CVT may definitely increase the weight, and that's why a petrol WRV needs the 1.5 petrol VTEC that's currently in the City.
Old 9th April 2021, 19:47   #60
BHPian

The Thar having 30% less dispatch is an indication of how bad the semi conductor shortage is? There is a 6 month waiting for my Thar. I can digest a capacity issue if bookings are high, but it's not encouraging to see a supply shortage.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed