Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: What price do you expect?
15 to 21 lacs 111 17.68%
16 to 22 lacs 113 17.99%
17 to 23 lacs 129 20.54%
18 to 24 lacs 132 21.02%
19 to 25 lacs 143 22.77%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2021, 08:27   #136
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,422
Thanked: 2,645 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV700 rendered
Not very accurate I would say (Ex: test mules have shown a different taillamp design. There is no pronounced shoulder-line on the test mules, grills are upright and not slopping etc). So far, the rendering from Autocarindia maps well to what we have seen on the test mules.
Guna is offline  
Old 18th May 2021, 20:50   #137
Senior - BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 2,668
Thanked: 5,761 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

I don’t get the logic of calling the car XUV 700. Either launch a new premium car or stick to the same class.

On a lighter note, I hope Toyota doesn’t learn from Mahindra and rename the current Innova to “Fortuner” and call their re-badged Ertiga as “Innova”.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 02:09   #138
BHPian
 
sampadroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 101
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I don’t get the logic of calling the car XUV 700. Either launch a new premium car or stick to the same class.

On a lighter note, I hope Toyota doesn’t learn from Mahindra and rename the current Innova to “Fortuner” and call their re-badged Ertiga as “Innova”.
I believe it has to do with the already well-established "XUV" brand name.
Launching a new car with a new name would require more marketing, in the sense that a new name in the market would have to be created and also, more importantly, in the minds of the Indian buyers who are extremely brand conscious!

"XUV" is already a famous name in the Indian car market and now by adding "700" to it, Mahindra is clearly trying to make use of the XUV name and also signify that it's better and bigger and in turn more premium than the current XUV-500. Hence, not actually belonging to the same class.

A case in example would be the newly launched Tata Safari. Practically the same reason why Tata named it "Safari" at the last moment by dropping the "Gravitas" badge. Tata very well knew what the Safari name means to us and it did work out pretty well for them!

It's all about human psychology...
sampadroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 08:25   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,422
Thanked: 2,645 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I don’t get the logic of calling the car XUV 700. Either launch a new premium car or stick to the same class.
To make room for a Creta rival in the line up.
XUV300 = 4 mt CSUV
XUV500 = 4.3 ish Creta rival
XUV 700 = 4.6 ish Safari/Hector rival
XUV 900 = 4.8 ish Fortuner rival?? (future)
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 18:22   #140
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: JK
Posts: 41
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampadroy View Post
I believe it has to do with the already well-established "XUV" brand name.
Launching a new car with a new name would require more marketing, in the sense that a new name in the market would have to be created and also, more importantly, in the minds of the Indian buyers who are extremely brand conscious!

"XUV" is already a famous name in the Indian car market and now by adding "700" to it, Mahindra is clearly trying to make use of the XUV name and also signify that it's better and bigger and in turn more premium than the current XUV-500. Hence, not actually belonging to the same class.

A case in example would be the newly launched Tata Safari. Practically the same reason why Tata named it "Safari" at the last moment by dropping the "Gravitas" badge. Tata very well knew what the Safari name means to us and it did work out pretty well for them!
I believe that Mahindra being Mahindra went overboard with the design and features that were needed for a facelift to the existing XUV5OO, and it inflated the aggregate manufacturing cost of the XUV, and in my honest opinion, I believe they legitimately pulled a Tata Safari/Gravitas here. By offering it as a more premium offering with tons of features, they'll be able to justify the jump in the price of the vehicle. Hence the name shift from 500 to 700. And the current Xuv5OO owners would also see it as an upgrade to their current vehicle. So a win-win.

Another reason, which albeit is totally far sighted is that Mahindra plans on using the name for its S301 vehicle, which is supposed to compete against the Hyundai/Kia siblings.

What is left to be seen is the price. India is a price conscious market and if it's not Value For Money, we don't buy it. That's why Maruti sells in such large numbers with no attention to safety . For Mahindra to pack in all the features in a competitive price range, is what would be termed success. Otherwise, it'll be just another example of good product, suffering from poor sales due to bad market analysis on the price structure and Mahindra would've done another Alturas again.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2021 at 18:53. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Moto_Bear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 20:15   #141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 573
Thanked: 4,031 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Hello bhpians.

Here is some latest dope on the all new XUV700 from my sources.

1. As I had mentioned earlier the SOP was scheduled to begin by April end but because of the lockdown and chip shortage, it is now scheduled for August end.

2. There is a shortage of digital cockpit which is developed by Visteon and is imported into the country so there is a slim possibility that Mahindra may launch the XUV top end variants with analogue cluster or there could be more waiting for variants equipped with digital cluster.

3. The diesel engine which will power the XUV is being tested in 3 states of tune viz; 180/190/210 bhp but it most likely will come in 180 bhp tune. The 210 bhp tune has a torque of 450 nm and it may come along with the facelift whenever it launches.

4. The diesel engine according to my sources is expected to set new benchmark for refinement and driveability.

5. Mahindra has tested the XUV with both HIDs and LEDs for the headlamps and my sources tell me that the ARAI initially failed the HID setup on the XUV sighting the high beam being too powerful and blinding so Mahindra had to reduce the same.

And in other news.

1. Mahindra is ramping up the production of the Thar and aims to bring down the waiting period to around 2 months. They are also exploring the possibility of adding another line at their Chakan plant to add to the production of the Thar which as of now is exclusively made at their Nashik plant.

2. Contrary to what Mahindra says, they are most likely to axe the Marazzo along with the KUV as they see no future for both these products.

3. XUV300 is also likely to be discontinued in a few years time and may not see a direct replacement.

4. Because of the pandemic, launch of Scorpio is most likely to be pushed to next year with a probable launch happening around February 2022.

That's all for now guys. Will share new information whenever I receive it.
ram87pune is online now   (122) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 21:15   #142
BHPian
 
r0ckstar.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

2. There is a shortage of digital cockpit which is developed by Visteon and is imported into the country so there is a slim possibility that Mahindra may launch the XUV top end variants with analogue cluster or there could be more waiting for variants equipped with digital cluster.
Thanks for the update, much appreciated

If true, the above point on unavailability of digital cockpit will be a bummer for customers like me Hope they overcome the shortage soon. Even with the lockdown, it's surprising that they still experience the shortage. The Auto/manufacturing industry has been quite active even during lockdown, isn't it?
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 01:34   #143
AZT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bombay
Posts: 454
Thanked: 1,763 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
2. Contrary to what Mahindra says, they are most likely to axe the Marazzo along with the KUV as they see no future for both these products.
You know Team-bhp is legit when our guys actually call out company statements
AZT is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 09:07   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 2,178
Thanked: 3,741 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
2. There is a shortage of digital cockpit which is developed by Visteon and is imported into the country so there is a slim possibility that Mahindra may launch the XUV top end variants with analogue cluster or there could be more waiting for variants equipped with digital cluster.
The golden rule of 'Buy no Mahindra/Tata in the first 18 months' notwithstanding. This could be a desirable variant. Top end XUV700 without digital screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
5. Mahindra has tested the XUV with both HIDs and LEDs for the headlamps and my sources tell me that the ARAI initially failed the HID setup on the XUV sighting the high beam being too powerful and blinding so Mahindra had to reduce the same.
More powerful than even the German Big3s'? Mahindra sure know their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
3. XUV300 is also likely to be discontinued in a few years time and may not see a direct replacement.
Oh NO!!!

Only plausible reason is that they want the Creta rivalling XUV500 to have a ₹9.99 lakhs starting price point. XUV300 would terribly overlap it. But then, the XUV500 would definitely be a XUV300 with an extended boot. Nothing to lose really.
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 10:53   #145
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,562
Thanked: 6,177 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Contrary to what Mahindra says, they are most likely to axe the Marazzo along with the KUV as they see no future for both these products.
Thanks for confirming! My contact in Mahindra had also indicated that all of the insiders feel sheepish about the Marazzo, like its the unemployed drug-addicted cousin in the family or something. While I never got to hear a concrete statement about the Marazzo being shut down, I have been hearing about efforts underway at Mahindra Research Valley for a year now to somehow fit a proper 2 litre + engine into the Marazzo's engine bay. The pandemic has put a stop to things for now, with many employees getting infected.
locusjag is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 12:37   #146
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Mahindra sure knows it is working on its rock star product, and will be very careful.

Pulling back the XUV5OO when the sales numbers are dwindling is a smart move, in my opinion. It helps retain 'dignity of the brand', if you will.

It's better for the brand if it is 'not available anymore', rather than being 'available but nobody wants it anymore'.

On the other hand, introducing a feature loaded, bigger XUV, as the new XUV7OO catapults the 'desirability' factor of the brand to a much higher level, in my opinion.

And then, when people start 'missing' the XUV5OO, Mahindra will 'bring it back', feature loaded, perhaps as a 5 seater premium SUV, with plenty of boot space.

When it comes to pricing though, for both the 5OO as well as the 7OO, Mahindra must make sure the cash cow Front Wheel Drive variants, both Manual and Automatic, stay price competitive, and as far away from the Hyundai, Kia, and Toyota alternatives as possible.

I still remember, when the XUV5OO launched, I used to think of it as the 'poor man's Fortuner'. How wrong I was, with ride quality better than the Fortuner's, 'clean pulls' in 6th gear on the highway right from 1000 rpm or so, the ways it trumped many 'premium' SUV's!

At the end of the day, the XUV5OO did the Indian auto industry proud - one of the most capable indigenously developed cars ever produced by an Indian auto maker. Let's hope the brand value goes only a couple of notches up when the curtains open, revealing the 7OO, and later the 'new' 5OO.
sandeep.menon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:18   #147
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: JK
Posts: 41
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

2. There is a shortage of digital cockpit which is developed by Visteon and is imported into the country so there is a slim possibility that Mahindra may launch the XUV top end variants with analogue cluster or there could be more waiting for variants equipped with digital cluster.
First of all, Thanks for the information. It sure will be a bummer for the tech savvy customers who prefer a fully digital console. Others like me, who prefer an analogue one, would've kept it in the analogue mode(if possible) irrespective of it being digital.

Quote:
3. The diesel engine which will power the XUV is being tested in 3 states of tune viz; 180/190/210 bhp but it most likely will come in 180 bhp tune. The 210 bhp tune has a torque of 450 nm and it may come along with the facelift whenever it launches.
About the engine, I believe anything putting out more than 180bhp in the mid SUV segment would be the most powerful of the lot, given that higher segment cars like the Endeavor are putting out this much power and torque. It sure seems to be a competent product coming out of Mahindra and the only way I can see it failing is poor pricing.
Moto_Bear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 20:30   #148
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 114
Thanked: 168 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

3. The diesel engine which will power the XUV is being tested in 3 states of tune viz; 180/190/210 bhp but it most likely will come in 180 bhp tune. The 210 bhp tune has a torque of 450 nm and it may come along with the facelift whenever it launches.
What would be the torque for the 180 bhp variant? Any exact timeline of launch? I am very excited about the launch of both xuv 700 and octavia
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 21:00   #149
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kuzhithurai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Hey guys, I created this rendering for the Coupe version of the Xuv700 (XUV900). What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500-untitled.jpg  

Panneer Selven is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 22:15   #150
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 34 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

Here is some latest dope on the all new XUV700 from my sources.

1. As I had mentioned earlier the SOP was scheduled to begin by April end but because of the lockdown and chip shortage, it is now scheduled for August end.

2. There is a shortage of digital cockpit which is developed by Visteon and is imported into the country so there is a slim possibility that Mahindra may launch the XUV top end variants with analogue cluster or there could be more waiting for variants equipped with digital cluster.

3. The diesel engine which will power the XUV is being tested in 3 states of tune viz; 180/190/210 bhp but it most likely will come in 180 bhp tune. The 210 bhp tune has a torque of 450 nm and it may come along with the facelift whenever it launches.

4. The diesel engine according to my sources is expected to set new benchmark for refinement and driveability.
Very helpful info on the much anticipated release.
What is the best estimate on mileage for 180bhp diesel & petrol automatic? Look forward to the days to see the feedback of this monster, Alcazar and Safari.
tsr_83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks