Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What price do you expect?
15 to 21 lacs 191 20.34%
16 to 22 lacs 168 17.89%
17 to 23 lacs 177 18.85%
18 to 24 lacs 184 19.60%
19 to 25 lacs 219 23.32%
Voters: 939. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 11:59   #46
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs

What's with the font selection ? Looks like kids play.

The video is hitting the right notes and looks impressive
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 12:18   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Team Mahindra has confirmed that the current Mahindra XUV500 will be discontinued temporarily once the Mahindra XUV700 is launched.

Attachment 2142371

Link
This means the existing Scorpio will also be discontinued, so they might be looking at keeping the New Scorpio for the 15-20 Lakhs price bracket and XUV700 above that. However, when they say temporarily discontinued that means it will have some chances of relaunch in near future.

Let’s wait and watch.
Old 9th April 2021, 13:19   #48
BHPian

The XUV7OO teaser video was nice. However, I did not find any reference or 'experts' for rust prevention, wiring harness and connectors, audio systems and for after-sales service.

The present XUV5OO is super-prone to corrosion, even in less humid environments. I saw several rusted body parts on the day I took delivery in Oct 2011 (VIN decode shows Aug 2011 manufacturing). Rusting continues, although I frequently check myself every month, apply anti-rust treatments to any body part, including the hidden ones under gaskets, that shows signs of rust.

I have also experienced frequent electrical malfunctions especially during monsoons and post washing by authorized service centers. I am used to live with it now. I see lots of dust inside the headlamp assembly that cannot be cleaned. The headlamp dust covers melt or fall down within a couple of weeks of putting a new one on. A cheap headlamp dust-cap worth Rs. 20 or a bad design makes one spend Rs. 14K per headlamp replacement, each side.

Interior panels, dashboard plastics, electrical connectors, boot lock release mechanism, switches, rear lamp holders, wiper assembly, window regulators all are several levels below satisfactory.

The damping and audio system was never satisfactory, in fact even below popular hatch standards. The speaker diaphragm surround rings of rear doors flatten as the door panels continuously press them due to its poor design and I had to replace speakers and cut certain plastics to minimize pressure. 'Silver box' HU still makes boom sound and freezes at random occasions.

First ~4 years of my car ownership were lost dealing with niggles, failures of various systems, repeat repairs (cumulative time in workshop was 7+ months if I remember correctly), workshops which treated the brand new car like a pre-20 year old truck. Each time the car returned from workshop, it came with dirty seats and steering, scratches all over the cabin, dented dash, panel mis-alignments, malfunctioning switches, missing parts including emergency boot exit wire, missing screws and caps everywhere, rattles, higher NVH levels, and atleast a new issue.

So, why would anyone buy a car worth 18+ lakhs OTR that has all the above known issues even in the most recently launched 'premium' cars? And why would someone pay a premium?

Unless Mahindra gets its act together and addresses the above issues seriously, it may be be to sell good numbers initially if priced attractively, but will certainly lose out to the Korean, Japanese and Chinese brands within few months. The competition also has far better resale value.

Last edited by Pulse500 : 9th April 2021 at 13:21.
Pulse500 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:32   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the next gen Scorpio will continue with Scorpio/ Scorpion name. The people at Mahindra are well versed with chopping a longer product to fit their own dimensions, Xylo to Quanto and Tivoli to XUV3OO. So it may have happened that during the development of XUV5OO/7OO, they might have thought of chopping it to make a little smaller XUV5OO. It's just a figment of imagination of mine. But I won't be surprised if we get to see a shorter version of XUV7OO as a XUV5OO. Creta has been elongated to make Alcazar, Harrier has been elongated to make Safari so why not Mahindra launch a shortened 5 seater version as XUV5OO? 5 seater as 5OO and 7 seater as 7OO. The shortened version will also be as safe as the longer one till the time they don't do any chop-chop to the front. None of the cars are tested for a rear ending which I personally feel is a must after getting into one last year.

Nevertheless, the current generation XUV5OO is too long in market and looks old so better to get a refreshed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra has announced the name of its upcoming SUV. The new model which will be based on the W601 platform has been christened XUV700 (pronounced as XUV 7 double 'Oh').
Since the name is 7 double Oh, shouldn't the thread heading also be the same instead of 0? 7OO instead of 700?

Last edited by BoneCollector : 9th April 2021 at 13:38.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:23   #50
BHPian

The advert gives me #Reclaimyourlife ish vibes. I like where Mahindra are going! If the new models are designed as thoughtfully and executed like the new Thar, I have no doubts that Mahindra is one their way to dominating the market. Looking forward to this
Old 9th April 2021, 14:51   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra has announced the name of its upcoming SUV. The new model which will be based on the W601 platform has been christened XUV700 (pronounced as XUV 7 double 'Oh').
If this crossover is sized and powered comparable to the existing XUV5oo (The spy pictures indicate so) but with significant feature and capability upgrades, calling it xuv5ooo (Triple Ohs) may have been better IMHO. This could have created another segment with not much competition. So XUV5oo can co-exist if required, less confusions.

XUV7oo could have been reserved for a vehicle a size and power comparable to the segment above - Fortuner or Endeavour and the likes.
Old 9th April 2021, 14:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

I hope XUV700 nomenclature is not an afterthought like the Safari one from Tata.
With the introduction of Alacazar, our desi makers will be under pressure. Feature wise, not sure if they can compete. Its only the price and its a difficult position.
Old 9th April 2021, 15:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
They see how the market responds and then decide if they really need some thing in between the Scorpio and the XUV700. In my opinion, there is no way that the XUV700 is a Fortuner rival. Its surely going to be between the 20-30 lakh category. This whole naming game is being done to accommodate the Scorpio and also to to undermine the Safari.
I thought the new platform was planned as XUV500 and the spy pictures also show that the new vehicle is sized comparable with current generation XUV500. So, in my humble opinion, a better option would have been:

1. Launch the new W601 as XUV5OOO (triple Oh), create new segment above the XUV500, with better cabin and advanced capabilities. This assumes that the vehicle is super-refined, better ride quality, better handling, superior rust-proof or galvanized body and better paint and higher powered engine than existing XUV5OO

2. Facelift, re-tune, upgrade cabin of existing XUV5OO (v3) and let it compete with others in the existing segment, as Mahindra wants to capitalize on the brand and offer choices. But keep very few variants, 3-4 max.

3. In future, launch XUV7OO, a size bigger, larger wheelbase, higher powered engine ~200BHP x ~420NM and more luxury features to replace Alturas.

4. Scorpio can retain parallel track of evolution with Body on Ladder and Diesel only option (positioned as a rugged vehicle which can handle rough terrains better) to minimize confusion of buyers. And can keep fewer variants and allow buyers with additions of certain modules e.g. better head unit (music/navigation), better seats, alloys etc. This can minimize inventory, confusions, save costs (road tax) on such upgrades and spares inventory.

Last edited by Pulse500 : 9th April 2021 at 15:52.
Old 9th April 2021, 16:48   #54
srh
BHPian

XUV5OO to be discontinued for a short duration. To me, it seems that they will come up with an XUV3OO extended in length & branded as XUV5OO.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 17:11   #55

I think XUV300 with the extended length, 1.5lt petrol engine, 1.5lt diesel engine with higher power will be launched as XUV500. This will make sense & can really compete against creta and seltos. Common Mahindra, we need this kind of vehicle with 5star safety
prash27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 17:22   #56
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No chance. All said and done, brand "Scorpio" is much more powerful than brand "XUV500" today.
What I was told is, the pricing of the new 7 seater (now called XUV7OO) is going to be Premium considering it will also have ADAS features (Supposedly). Same is going to be the case with the new Scorpio (Pricier as compared to current offering). To control the emotional out pour (over pricing, as we saw with Citroen C5) and to also bring out a surprise factor (similar to Gravitas --> Safari renaming) this sales pitch was being considered. A 5 seater SUV cannot be priced over Scorpio and be called the XUV5OO.

Last edited by MCR : 9th April 2021 at 17:24. Reason: Typo
Old 9th April 2021, 17:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
XUV5OO to be discontinued for a short duration. To me, it seems that they will come up with an XUV3OO extended in length & branded as XUV5OO.
XUV300 is a truncated/modified Tivoli. If they launch it with the original dimensions, that would be worthy to be sold as XUV500 (it will be little smaller than current XUV500 but scores high on quality/refinement levels)
Old 9th April 2021, 17:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

This is a smart move by Mahindra. I believe eventually they will launch a XUV 500 to compete against the likes of Hector/Creta and Seltos. The 700 will compete against Safari/Alcazar and Innova. 500 actually might be shorter version of 700! While everyone is launching shorter version first and then stretching, Mahindra seem to be going in opposite direction.
Old 9th April 2021, 17:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
1. it is not 'Mahindra Scorpio' - it is 'Scorpio' by Mahindra.

2. But yes, if 7OO is the seven seater, then 5OO can be the 5 seater, just like what Harrier and Safari are!
1. Perfectly put, saw an ad once and just looking at the registration numbers the Scorpios in the ad carried could easily make out where they sold the most and how important the buyers were to them. At least that was my takeaway.

Also the status of the Scorpio is similar if not better than the Safari and Tata had to do a U turn to maximize sales. So the Scorpio is here to stay.

2. I may he wrong but I feel that the we won't get any XUV400(300 + bigger boot), the new XUV500 will actually be the one to hit the likes of Creta/Seltos right up to the Harrier, in-line with its disruptive history like you mentioned. But just a feeling.

Either way it will be a traveller's delight, like the previous.
Old 9th April 2021, 22:23   #60
BHPian

Being a Current XUV500 owner, I am disappointed that the Car/Brand will be discontinued albeit temporarily.

With the positioning of XUV500/700, let's refer to the product lineups of Hyundai & Tata - Cheif competitors of Mahindra in the SUV space.

Hyundai: CSUV - Venue, Proper 5 Seater - Creta, 7 Seater - Alcazar
Tata: CSUV - Nexon, Proper 5 Seater - Harrier, 7 Seater - Safari
Mahindra: CSUV - XUV300, Proper 5 Seater - XUV500, 7 Seater - XUV700
(For Mahindra - Works well with their odd number strategy as well)
I'm sure by next year, Kia will also come up with their version of Alcazar.

Ford & Toyota will continue to make merry in 30-40 Lakhs segment with Endeavour & Fortuner with no proper competitors in sight.
VJ05 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks