Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What price do you expect?
15 to 21 lacs 191 20.34%
16 to 22 lacs 168 17.89%
17 to 23 lacs 177 18.85%
18 to 24 lacs 184 19.60%
19 to 25 lacs 219 23.32%
Voters: 939. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 23:17   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs

I prefer reading the thoughts that come on the forum than the automotive websites who are coming up with scoops on the same.

Few things I wish based on what I understand / wish at this particular point.

1. Replace the XUV5OO with XUV7OO: By the looks from the scoops / spy shots / render there is a huge influence on the existing XUV5OO design language this better be an upgrade.

2. Wish this places right next to Safari and not above it - as this car has to be an alternative to 7 seaters in the space. Not sure of the cost of Alcazar (if that comes in the bracket - then yes). I personally do not see any exciting cars than a 7 seater Harrier, 7 Seater Creta, or the Chinese 7 seater. There is a definite need of fresh air here.

3. Someone has to bring a car above this 18-24 bracket and that should be the step Mahindra can take based on what I understand from their plans. But I wish its a totally different car (with Pininfarina?)

This is some category which has been stagnant, and I have seen people pickup something below what they need and extend to catch Endeavor or Fortuner but not what they want.

Last edited by peterjim13 : 9th April 2021 at 23:18.
Old 10th April 2021, 00:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Hyundai: CSUV - Venue, Proper 5 Seater - Creta, 7 Seater - Alcazar
Tata: CSUV - Nexon, Proper 5 Seater - Harrier, 7 Seater - Safari
Mahindra: CSUV - XUV300, Proper 5 Seater - XUV500, 7 Seater - XUV700
(For Mahindra - Works well with their odd number strategy as well)
I'm sure by next year, Kia will also come up with their version of Alcazar.

Ford & Toyota will continue to make merry in 30-40 Lakhs segment with Endeavour & Fortuner with no proper competitors in sight.
Excellent lineup and you wrote exactly what I was about to write. So like minded, hence in TBHP :-)

Ford needs a creta rival desperately with the ecosport character, people will definitely buy

Honda and Toyota not sure where their thoughts are rested
Old 10th April 2021, 09:14   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra's DUV in new spy pics:

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-mahindraxuv700spied.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-2021mahindraxuvspyshot2.jpg

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-2021mahindraxuvspyshot3.jpg

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-2021mahindraxuvspyshot1.jpg

Quote:
The spy shot further reveals a multi-function flat-bottom steering wheel, repositioned air vents below the touchscreen infotainment system, and what appears to be a massive MOD unit in the centre that runs like a slab from IC all the way to the centre. The SUV will get all the features in its class and above as the last generation. The panoramic sunroof is just the start, it seems. The SUV is set to get radar-based safety systems. Along with a host of passive and active safety features, Mahindra will strive for 5-star safety for its flagship model.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 11:01   #64
BHPian

A lot of thoughts coming up in mind with these latest developments at Mahindra HQ.

1. I can see another reason why Ford-Mahindra JV didn't work. W601 was supposed to be the first product under this JV with Mahindra's version replacing XUV500 and Ford's version being a little more premium offering. Now when we first started seeing the test mules of Mahindra's W601 I was also one of those who speculated merely by dimensions that this will climb the price ladder and go above 20L price bracket. Interesting to note here is no-one really saw Ford's W601 ever in flesh. For Mahindra the scenario is different as they have lot of options for up to 20L price bracket but they don't have presence above it. Alturas was a failure and they desperately needed its replacement. W601/XUV500 badge is the only option in Mahindra stable that can potentially take on competitors in 20-30L price bracket, crucial differentiator being AWD and all the features. Now once Mahindra started overgrowing W601 to be something that sits just below Alturas it would leave Ford in a precarious situation, Ford has it's successful Endeavour and offering a more premium version of W601 will make it dead on arrival for Ford as it will sit really close to Endeavour base model. I am also assuming that Ford when they pulled out of JV also could have pulled out of W601 development costs which would increase the development cost for Mahindra as it is now their standalone product which will be a further pointer for Mahindra to increase W601 prices.

2. By temporarily discontinuing XUV500 Mahindra has probably given the biggest lifeline to Ford India. Reason being that with Mahindra essentially vacating the 15-20L crossover price bracket the options for buyers looking for a crossover with 7 seater capacity are now limited to Safari (lower trims), Hector Plus and Alcazar each one of them having their own distinct USPs. Ford's upcoming Territory can now sit smack in this segment and enjoy a good share of market piece right from 15-22L market (if they had AWD they could have aimed for up to 25L as well).

3. Scorpio is a bulletproof nameplate in Mahindra's arsenal and they can be assured of it's success pretty much any where they price it as apart from the brand image there really is no other Body on Frame 3-Row SUV now left in the market below 28L price bracket. Scorpio is a success story for Mahindra whenever it is launched.

4. XUV500 replacement - Now XUV500 is not a nameplate that Mahindra can simply retire, It has really good brand recall. The only 2 options Mahindra has is either launch 5 seater version of W601 (will be expensive) or stretch the Tivoli platform to accommodate 3 rows (will be more VFM and can take Alcazar head-on). XUV400 nameplate doesn't seem like a possibility now. This announcement of temporarily discontinuing XUV500 makes all the sense as Mahindra looks to be not yet in fixed mindset on which approach to take for XUV500 replacement.

5. Marazzo - Marazzo was one product in Mahindra stable that was supposed to please everyone and even though it is a good product it ended up being a comparative dud and for all the efforts and money that spent in developing something unique I think the plug on Marazzo will be pulled sooner or later to accommodate upcoming models.

6. Upcoming models of Mahindra - We know that TUV300 twins and Thar 5-door are in development, now where they should be positioned remains a puzzle. Thar 3-door is a standout in Mahindra portfolio, now TUV twins and Thar 5-seater will need to be placed between Bolero and Scorpio, I still doubt Mahindra can pull the plug on their biggest cash cow current Bolero, TUV twins are too green to take on the full expectations of Bolero nameplate. Thar 5-door on the other hand is an interesting case as if there is a 5 door 3 row Thar in the market who will buy the old Scorpio ?

7. Which models will suffer the most at the hands of XUV700 ? I think Tucson will face the most heat with its refresh imminent and XUV700 reaching its price bracket.

8. Who can take advantage of the market ? I think if Renault comes to its senses there is a huge market opportunity bang in front of them. They need to bring the new international Duster with AWD and the Bigster concept to our shores as soon as they can.
darkLightning is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 12:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
XUV5OO to be discontinued for a short duration. To me, it seems that they will come up with an XUV3OO extended in length & branded as XUV5OO.
This approach also makes sense. XUV3oo has good crash ratings, is a new platform and has better handling than existing XUV5oo. But engines will be smaller. Not sure if this will help them to compete over Creta/Seltos, there has to be something better, not just the price. And this segment seems most profitable (high volumes * good margins)

I hope the XUV3oo has better sheet metal (rust-proof), NVH, cabin plastics and reliability than XUV5oo.
Pulse500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 17:07   #66
BHPian

Mahindra can convert the XUV5OO to a 5 seater, but one point of consideration being that people loved the XUV5OO because it was a 7 seater in the sub 20 lac space. Will a 5 seater XUV5OO get similar love?
Old 10th April 2021, 18:37   #67
BHPian

After reading all posts and news around, I connect to few of those who mentioned that they started with an intention to launch a new XUV 500 but realized it has become too premium to be connected to the XUV 500 brand name anymore. So launch it as XUV 700 which immediately gives the message of the next jump in the lineage of cars but keep the pricing similar to the XUV 500 and it suddenly starts looking like a great value for money. XUV 700 at the price of XUV 500 And hence discontinue XUV 500 cause it will anyway cannibalise into the 500 sales numbers.
Old 10th April 2021, 20:31   #68
BHPian

Xuv700 being priced similar to the 500 is wishful thinking. Market has changed, people are willing to pay. With creta top end going at 21 lakh on road (Pune), no way XUV700 can be priced similar. Not with all the touted improvements. I guess we will see close to 30 lakh on road for the top end. They won't want this to be labelled as cheap.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 20:46   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Being a Current XUV500 owner, I am disappointed that the Car/Brand will be discontinued albeit temporarily.
The problem is this - as an XUV owner will you pay 2 times as much for a new 5OO? I know someone who wasn't sure if it would be an upgrade.

Therefore 7OO. It's an unknown , new , which is what the crossover segment demands and buyers of Safari/ Hector / Alcazar etc will take notice, decides to wait rather than thinking that it's a familiar XUV.

For a Bolero, Innova, Scorpio, Fortuner , Ertiga etc familiarity is a plus due to their utilitarian nature, in the crossover segment customers want new exciting stuff, features that span a few pages minimum.

The current 5OO can continue with a refresh as it has most of the features offered by competition.
Old 10th April 2021, 22:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Xuv700 being priced similar to the 500 is wishful thinking. Market has changed, people are willing to pay. With creta top end going at 21 lakh on road (Pune), no way XUV700 can be priced similar. Not with all the touted improvements. I guess we will see close to 30 lakh on road for the top end. They won't want this to be labelled as cheap.
I agree. I didn't mean the existing XUV 500 prices but the revamped price expected from a next gen. An XUV 500 owner might not be able to justify the spike for a XUV 500 but might accept for an XUV 700.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 06:41   #71
BHPian

First- there are a lot of xuv lovers out here. Just the news of launch and suddenly this thread is so active. More than 2 pages in 2 days.
The collective sentiment I can make out is most of the people think that although mahindra has launched a good product but it may falter due to the pricing strategy.

Which brings me to my next opinion-

I am not from financial background but here is my thought.

In simple words, there are two business models:
1. Make a product worth, let us say, 1 million.
Sell it those who are willing. If out of the 135 plus billion Indians, even if 100 buy it, wow 100 million. If a thousand buy it, wow 1 billion. We are happy. It is selling so well. We don't care for the poor enthusiastic fellows out there.

2. Make a product. Sell it for Rs 1. Sounds low but let's maintain some quality. Maintain a standard. And how many out of the 135 plus billion people will buy it. 70-80% at least. So you have nearly one billion in the first round itself. And more will buy it seeing others so more sales. And then the sales will rise. Everyone will eventually have it. Launch an upgrade after 2 years. Sell it Rs 2. Now almost all will upgrade. Wow. More than 2 billion in two rounds. Keep upgrading every 2 years. The competition will simply be reduced to nada and you will have monopoly. Come to think of it.
PS- I am not from financial background. But I just wanted to make a point with reference to the economy of sales. Ok I may have used some wrong values but I hope that readers are able to grasp the idea I wanted to get across. This was why the first xuv was a hit.

Profits, margins and market share depend on a lot of things. But to catch the attention of the entire audience is an art. Let's see.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 07:45   #72
BHPian

Dont think it can or should go above 4-5 lacs increase from existing price across the range, from base to top model.

If they go above that, this new XUV 700 will be a disaster!
Old 12th April 2021, 17:12   #73
AZT
BHPian

I agree with the above posts, XUV 700 is more a branding exercise to justify paying more. Also, if it were called the New XUV 500 it may not have sounded like an upgrade to existing 500 users who could upgrade to 700.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 18:23   #74
BHPian

Mahindra XUV 900 replacing Alturas-

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-xu...-12399547.html
Old 12th April 2021, 19:23   #75

There is a high probability that they have numbered the upcoming vehicle XUV700 considering they plan to bring the 7-seater version of the XUV300 which they will call XUV500 with the Mstallion 1.5 litre petrol and will be positioned below the 2 litre mstallion powered XUV700.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks