Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What price do you expect?
15 to 21 lacs 191 20.34%
16 to 22 lacs 168 17.89%
17 to 23 lacs 177 18.85%
18 to 24 lacs 184 19.60%
19 to 25 lacs 219 23.32%
Voters: 939. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 20:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Looks like XUV700 is the rumored next gen XUV500. That would mean XUV500 will continue in the lineup. But does the current gen XUV500 have enough to carry on? As per the latest sales report, it is barely selling 600 pieces. It has taken a beating from Safari and Hector+. I don't think it is even in the consideration set of people shopping in this segment. They need some differentiation if it is going to continue. May be bring back the AWD AT variant and advertise the hell out it, branding it as the only true SUV in the segment.
Sales are down, but that may be due to the pandemic. Perhaps M&M thinks sales will improve once normalcy returns. Also the 700 seems to be trying to complete the lineup with a more premium offering, so I don't think the 500 will be discontinued. It seems to cater to the 15-23 lac range, while 700 will probably be priced higher in the 23-30 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
On another note, the name reveal video specifically mention crash tests. Looks like XUV700 is coming with a safety rating from launch itself.
All cars go through crash testing (Some of them Inhouse and at ARAI), prior to launch and all have a safety rating, even if its a zero rating, like the S-Presso. The problem is that the companies don't have to mandatorily reveal the crash test rating. ARAI can't reveal it to outsiders either. That results in consumers not knowing the real crash test rating of the indian spec vehicle. Of course the Global NCAP tests are a boon for us now. But lets hope M&M takes the lead and discloses transparently the crash test results, especially given that 700 is a premium top of the line vehicle and should be profitable enough to be best in class from a safety perspective.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 12:10   #77
BHPian

By the looks of things, Mahindra is realigning it's product strategies to provide a single seamless line-up of medium sized to large SUVs. That's how I feel looking at all the recent statements from the company. They said they're bidding goodbye to the micro SUVs. Seems prudent as they were not selling well in the first place. XUV3OO is a capable product, albeit a bit old. It provides an entry into the company's lineup of modern monocoque SUVs. Then comes the segment currently occupied by the XUV5OO. Although mechanically a capable machine even by today's standards, it is definitely long on its teeth. The Thar is more of a lifestyle vehicle. Even with the compromises, it has found its way into many a garage and it's a bigger hit than Mahindra originally hoped for.

Enter the Scorpio, XUV7OO twins. The new Scorpio is going to be a more capable product than its earlier iteration. The Scorpio is anyday a bigger brand than XUV5OO. Most probably it's going to be the Scorpio that's going to operate in the highly competitive segment that consists of the Creta, Seltos, Hector, Harrier etc. The Scorpio will be a proper 7 seater and a proper 4 wheel drive. Now the XUV5OO replacement that Mahindra was testing can take the mantle forward into the next segment. Now I bought the XUV5OO for its solid engine gearbox combo, space, road presence, occasional 7 seater and features it offered for the price it commanded. If Mahindra were to charge me 30L for its replacement, I would think twice. That might be why the next gen XUV is being touted as the XUV7OO, which automatically implies a higher stature. Remember every time we used to crib about the dearth of proper large SUVs in the 30L segment? I doubt Mahindra is on to something here. Back in 2011, it was the XUV that opened up the possibility of a butch SUV in the 10-20L segment. As years went by, the prices have increased and today you get a compact SUV for the same price you used to get an XUV5OO in 2012. I think they are planning to do the same. The Safari already proves that customers are open to buy an Indian manufacturer's product at that price point if it's good enough. And I don't see a reason why the XUV7OO is going to falter here. It will also provide proper SUV credentials in the name of AWD. And in my opinion, this pincer approach might be a good strategy. Maybe a few years down the lane, the XUV9OO might come in which will be the flagship product from their stable.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 13th April 2021 at 12:22.
Old 13th April 2021, 14:49   #78
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra has revealed that the production of the XUV500 will come to an end with the launch of the XUV700. It was earlier believed that the old SUV could continue to be sold alongside the new flagship model.

In 2011, when the XUV500 was launched, it was Mahindra’s flagship car and the most modern vehicle in its model line-up. At present, the XUV500 is powered by a BS6-compliant 2.2-litre diesel engine producing 153 BHP and 360 Nm. The engine is mated to a 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission or a 6-speed manual transmission and comes in four variants - W5, W7, W9 and W11 (O).

The XUV700 is based on Mahindra’s W601 monocoque platform. The SUV will come with petrol and diesel engine options with manual and automatic gearboxes and all-wheel drive. It will feature a completely revamped exterior design with LED daytime running lights. On the inside, it is expected to get a Mercedes-like dual-screen setup, a flat-bottom steering wheel, faux leather upholstery air-conditioner vents with chrome bezels, an infotainment head-unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and a sunroof among others.

On the safety front, the car will also get an Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) which includes features like autonomous emergency braking, parallel park assist, adaptive cruise control and forward-collision warning. Other safety features that could be provided are - at least 6 airbags, ABS with EBD, ISOFIX child seat mounts, and disc brakes on all four wheels among others.

The new SUV will be manufactured at the company's Chakan plant near Pune.

Source: Carandbike
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:26   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Mahindra has revealed that the production of the XUV500 will come to an end with the launch of the XUV700.
So does this mean the the XUV7OO will replace the XUV5OO, and the XUV9OO when it comes, will be positioned above the 7OO - possibly replacing the Alturas ?

(ref recent post /thread about Mahindra patenting the XUV7OO and XUV9OO names)
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:54   #80
BHPian

I guess, the new Scorpio will slot into the XUV500 space and compete with the Safari, and XUV700 will priced higher but below Alturas.
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 16:01   #81
Senior - BHPian

Interesting development about this naming strategy being adopted by M&M. The XUV5OO was a fairly successful brand in the country, and replacing that with a new model name for a similar product when the older model won't be sold doesn't make sense right? I don't what Mahindra might be thinking but if this is the case there might be a chance we might see a possible Creta/Seltos rival named the XUV5OO (positioned above the 3OO). As Condor said, there also might be a new 9OO SUV replacing the Alturas.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:45   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this is a good move in hindsight. It basically means Mahindra has realised the fact that it isn't feasible enough for this XUV 500 to exist with the 700, which in turn means the price gap between this and the new one won't be all that much.

- The new Scorpio will slot in where the 500 was before

- The new 700 will go head to head against the Safari

- The 900 will slot in at the top and compete with the Citroen C5 AirCross and the Jeep Compass 7 seater if and when it is launched

It was a known fact that having both cars on sale would be a delicate balance to strike in terms of pricing, especially when you already have the Scorpio sitting below the XUV. Secondly, the 500 has run its course. Except for the powertrain and feature list, it can't compete in the 15+L bracket anymore with those horrid interiors and looks. Bringing it upto segment standards would also cost money.

Mahindra is far better off aggressively pricing the lower variants of the 700 and axing the 500 altogether.

Last edited by vishy76 : 13th April 2021 at 18:47.
vishy76 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:54   #83
BHPian

As per my understanding as per various reports XUV500 and XUV700 will go as per Tata route with 5 and 7 seats respectively. Essentially a same vehicle with varying lengths.
XUV300- 5 seater mini SUV
XUV500- 5 seater mid SUV
XUV700- 7 seater mid SUV
XUV900- 7 seater full fledged SUV

Along with these, I think Mahindra should come up with different utility vehicles as they have already given up on sedans and hatches, if they want to improve their market share considerably. Some wild imaginations are below.
MUV200- Eeco rival
MUV400- Ertiga rival
MUV600- Morazzo upgraded
MUV800- Carnival rival

Also keep Scorpio and Bolero in their respective places. I know there will be a overlap numerous times but what's better than choice?
But this is just a wild imagination more than an opinion.
Tucker48 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 19:16   #84
BHPian

I think Mahindra could do a Nexa here, move the xuv series to the premium showrooms and charge premium for it.

Just guessing!
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 20:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves on the XUV900! Going by the timeline taken for the new Scorpio and the new XUV700, I think this so called XUV900 might be at a concept stage or possibly not!. Plus, the Alturas or the Rexton were easy fixes, they were already available with Ssangyong elsewhere and all Mahindra had to do was to launch it in India with some minor tweaks, whereas if they were to conceive something like this from ground up, its an all new game and requires massive effort, especially if they want to take on the Fortuner.

Purely from a business case, the so called XUV900 makes no sense. Except the Fortuner, all other big SUVs like Kodiaq, Tiguan All space have mostly struggled to bring in decent numbers. And these were all not made for India, so there is not much these manufacturers to lose. But Mahindra, if they were to go down this route, will have a lot at stake. Something tells me that Mahindra is just getting all possible XUV trademarks done with no actual intention.

Last edited by motorworks : 13th April 2021 at 20:45.
motorworks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

Saw a lower spec model of the upcoming XUV700 (XUV500 facelift) undergoing high altitude testing in Manali on Saturday. Couldn't click a better video, this is from my Dash Cam footage:

AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:11   #87
BHPian

Looks good in theory, but somewhat confusing, in my opinion. They need 4 SUVs

5 seater, sub 4m - XUV300 - to compete with EcoSport, Venue, Sonet
5 seater, 4m+ - ??? - to compete with Seltos, Creta, Harrier
7 seater - present XUV500, what in the future? - to compete with Alcazar, Safari
7 seater - premium, presently XUV500, what in the future? - to compete with Gloster, Fortuner etc.

I think they are missing a larger 5 seater SUV. Hope the new Scorpio fills this gap by being a (cramped) 7 seater in the 5 seater price bracket. This will sell really well.

The XUV500's replacement, the XUV700 can be a proper 7 seater SUV to take on Alcazar, Hector Plus and Safari. The current one's small boot space with all 3 rows up has been a talking point.

The XUV900 should replace the Alturas.

I think they should pack the Scorpio with the right features and price it aggressively in the Seltos/Creta range - may be even a tad cheaper. Interesting times ahead for the Harrier team. Scorpio itself is a known brand. They can either retain that name or simply call it the new XUV500.
Old 14th April 2021, 14:20   #88
BHPian

Scrapping the previous models has worked less in favour of Mahindra so far. Be it with their tractor model or passenger vehicle.
TUV was to replace Bolero. At the earlier stage of TUV development, there was even a plan to stamp Bolero on the roof panel of the TUV. Due to design failures, it was decided not to go ahead.
Previous generation tractors like MM545 were decided to go obsolete with the launch of Yuvo tractors. But both are still on sale.
powershift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 20:31   #89
Team-BHP Support

Skip to 0:45 and Mahindra says they have wrecked 40 SUVs and is on the way to wreck one more. I guess that clearly hints at a global NCAP test parallel to the launch, just like they did with the Thar.

Way to go Mahindra. Waiting for 5 stars.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 19:05   #90
BHPian

Technically the ad says that this person has wrecked 40 SUVs before and is now going to wreck one more which is XUV 700. It does not say that the guy has wrecked 40 XUV 700s. This how marketing lingo tries to fool people
a.bhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks