Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What price do you expect?
15 to 21 lacs 191 20.34%
16 to 22 lacs 168 17.89%
17 to 23 lacs 177 18.85%
18 to 24 lacs 184 19.60%
19 to 25 lacs 219 23.32%
Voters: 939. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2021, 15:17   #241
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV700 poster is seen at Pune plant with 31days count down.

Attachment 2170337

One more month for debut?

Source : Rushlane
I believe it's not the debut that's going to take place in a month and rather, the production of the vehicle would officially start at the end of July or beginning August. We might see a peek and sneak here and there but I would put October 2nd to be either the debut date, or if it gets a debut beforehand, then to be the launch date for the Vehicle, given that Mahindra has their Founder's Day on 2nd October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV700 Auto Booster Headlamps feature teased.

Attachment 2170365
Additionally, going by the pictures, it seems that XUV7OO would have a projector headlamps setup rather than an all LED one. The light seems rather yellowish, so maybe we can see a LED/Projector headlamp setup.
Old 24th June 2021, 15:23   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Both are XMA 7 Seater.
But with this teaser out and 2021 launching. I'm again in doubt.
I have called another Local Mahindra dealer, who told me that the Blind booking amount is 50K for Xuv700 which is refundable. But they don't have any clue, even I told him to check Mahindra's website for this video.

I'm in doubt now whether to wait or go with Safari.
The 7 seater is not as spacious as the current XUV - on any seat. Just helping you along :P
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 16:11   #243
BHPian

Errm, isn't EVERYONE already driving with full beams + front and rear fogs ON from engine start!?
lemedico is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 16:20   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
"Hello Auto Booster Headlamps"

NO !

"Hello Oncoming Traffic Blinding System"

Is Mahindra planning to launch this with adaptive LEDs which can blank out the beam to not dazzle other road users?
If not, this feature can be a real hazard.
Carmakers have run out of ideas for "new and bold" features, it seems. Don't understand why we need so much automation? Can't a driver figure out for himself if he can't see the road ahead that he needs more lighting?
If their headlamps are smart enough to detect poor light and switch on a booster, I would expect them to be smart enough to detect an oncoming vehicle and lower the beam.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 16:42   #245
BHPian

XUV7OO raises the eyebrows again! Good show!!

I just noted that this frame, it's written "XUV700 (double zero)" instead of "XUV7OO (double O)" in the subtitle. This naming convention has made a lot of confusion in past among buyers, journos, enthusiasts, etc.

Looks like Mahindra insiders are also confused about the same. Not a big deal but ideally marketing communication should deliver the same message whatever the channel is.

Attachment 2170362
Old 24th June 2021, 17:02   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If their headlamps are smart enough to detect poor light and switch on a booster, I would expect them to be smart enough to detect an oncoming vehicle and lower the beam.
Those are speed sensing it appears. That's the reason why it mentions when the speed exceeds 80 km/h the lights will be boosted. Cheaper smart lights I guess
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 18:03   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
These are far from assessing ambient light sensitivity! It is merely connected to the 80kmph speedo marker. And due to the huge cost of technology, very doubtful to be matrix LED with oncoming dazzle protection.

Last edited by lemedico : 24th June 2021 at 18:05. Reason: Added words.
lemedico is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 18:45   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
These are far from assessing ambient light sensitivity! It is merely connected to the 80kmph speedo marker. And due to the huge cost of technology, very doubtful to be matrix LED with oncoming dazzle protection.
I couldn't agree more as to the headlight setup being connected to a speed marker rather than being light sensitive, as more emphasis is placed on the speed rather than the light conditions in the teaser video. One question would then be, whether it would just toggle the throw of the light or would it actually boost the throw, irrespective of it being a high or low beam?(Assuming Mahindra wouldn't use the Matrix LEDs on a Mid-size SUV)

Assuming it to be the former, as a bling feature, I don't mind it but I seriously do not get the actual utility in reality it would provide. One would usually find an auto headlight option in this segment and making the high beam speed sensitive would not play an significant role in my opinion.

One use, Mahindra could've thought of the speed sensitive high beam, would be on highways . Except it, I wouldn't prefer to switch on the function and it would remain inoperative quite similar to the auto wiper function that gets used once in 6 months.
Old 24th June 2021, 19:01   #249
Senior - BHPian

Also rumoured is the new ceramic mud flaps with easy wash feature!

Honestly get a move on M&M, or atleast release something substantive about a prospective launch.

I presume when promoting a soon to be launched product, the Marketing dept. walks a very fine line between building people's excitement on one hand & testing their patience on the other. I hope M&M knows when they are crossing from one to the other. Perhaps the Alcazar is a good case study on how to do it right.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 21:17   #250
BHPian

Is the car going to switch from low beam to high beam if the speed crosses 80kmph ? If that's the case, this is a simple thing that can be done by the drivers themselves if they feel the road ahead needs more illumination. Why are they spending their time and money for this feature ?
Shan_Kmu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 23:47   #251
BHPian

This is probably how the decision to talk about speed sensitive headlight feature reveal would have gone

Mahindra dealers , “Hey listen, Alacazar is generating a lot of interest and prospective customers are calling us up asking about the launch dates, availability, specs and such - can you throw some light on these please”

Mahindra marketing team - “hold our beer, we will throw some light on, you guessed it - headlights!”
Jyotil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 08:53   #252
BHPian

According to this piece of information from the official XUV7OO twitter handle, the Auto-Booster Headlamps will add 1.6x times illumination to the existing High Beam.

I already get blinded from the Halogens at high beam here, I am not really sure how this will be easy on the eyes of the oncoming traffic. Hope there is a setting to toggle this feature off.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-screenshot_20210625084601.jpg  

HSR21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 09:50   #253
BHPian

Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

The Auto Booster function seems to work like the Cornering Headlamps where the side light illuminates the road when the steering angle crosses a particular angle. Here, I reckon it will only work when high beams are engaged and when the vehicle crosses 80 km/hr.

Now here is where I think Mahindra can make it more intuitive. Given, the XUV700 has ADAS which is a radar based system at the front, the Auto Booster can be made to disengaged when it detects oncoming traffic atleast 50m away, hence reducing blinding to the person in the opposite car. Then, once the car passes, the Auto Booster engages again and throws 1.6x more light on the road. If that is the case, then this is indeed a very innovative feature. The driver does not need to constantly work on the headlights during highway stints and can be that extra percent focused on driving.

Last edited by karthick_b : 25th June 2021 at 09:52.
karthick_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 10:16   #254
BHPian

Is it going to be annoying when driving in range of 75-85? is it going to turn on the high beam everytime it crosses 80 and turns off when it is below 80? If that is the case and there is no manual overriding, it will be dumb.
telugite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 11:44   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Now here is where I think Mahindra can make it more intuitive. Given, the XUV700 has ADAS which is a radar based system at the front, the Auto Booster can be made to disengaged when it detects oncoming traffic atleast 50m away, hence reducing blinding to the person in the opposite car. Then, once the car passes, the Auto Booster engages again and throws 1.6x more light on the road. If that is the case, then this is indeed a very innovative feature. The driver does not need to constantly work on the headlights during highway stints and can be that extra percent focused on driving.
Radar cannot differentiate between an oncoming vehicle and the vehicle going in front of the XUV7OO in the same direction.

I think Mahindra could be using a light sensor or camera (if present for ADAS) to detect oncoming vehicle and to deactivate the Auto Booster.

My Golf Mk7 has high beam assist feature. This works only above 60 km/h. It uses a simple low cost light sensor attached to the front part of IRVM. Whenever the light sensor detects light (high or low beam) from oncoming vehicle, it deactivates the high beam. Once the vehicle passes, it activates high beam again. The system also deactivates high beam when driving inside city (street lamps) and behind any vehicle (tail lamps). I like the feature very much and I use it most of the time. It works flawlessly expect sometimes the own high beam reflected from sign boards are falsely detected as an oncoming vehicle. In VAG cars with lane assist camera, the same camera is used as light sensor and it is more accurate compared to the low cost light sensor.

This is a simple and low cost feature which should be by default installed in all the vehicles sold in India.
gopi_rm is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed