Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What price do you expect?
15 to 21 lacs 191 20.34%
16 to 22 lacs 168 17.89%
17 to 23 lacs 177 18.85%
18 to 24 lacs 184 19.60%
19 to 25 lacs 219 23.32%
Voters: 939. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 11:16   #646
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs

From the first gen xuv 500 that had the "oomph" factor from the Prado and the next gen that eventually grows on you. This iteration or version seems to be a mix of the xl6/ ertiga at the derriere and the front has the gawky- looking for a punch in the face of the first gen Santro.
chef-de-jeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:23   #647
BHPian

XUV700 front end with new logo, brightened teaser screenshot
Credit: Rushlane
This has a completely different grille compared to the car spotted yesterday. Is that one just for testing and the car will launch with this new grille?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-mahindraxuv700newlogo2.jpg  

Last edited by udaikalra01 : 1st August 2021 at 11:39.
udaikalra01 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:42   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
This has a completely different grille compared to the car spotted yesterday. Is that one just for testing and the car will launch with this new grille?
The front looks good,at least, in low angle shots. This time they seem to have taken inspiration from a Crab....or is that a Scorpion?
Geta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:44   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Personally I feel that the spy shots had already revealed about 70% of the car and this new leaked image has only revealed the tail lamps and the spoiler/D pillar which is the other 30% (but yes this 30% turned out to be the worst kept secret). While I am disappointed with the tail lamps and the spoiler design, I already knew what to expect from the overall design
That is the main issue in my opinion. While 70% of the design was know to us all along, that is the general stance of the car, GC, and a very XUV silhouette till B pillar, the 30% of it from a design point of view does not sit right. Irrespective of image being distorted or not, the choice to go with such ginormous head and tail lights and the fact that both the D pillar as well as the spoiler has been blacked out is not something a lot us, including the digital render artists were expecting. One can still expect the lights to look good in real life, and I expect that Mahindra wouldn't give the Headlights setup in the way it is shown in the picture. I would expect full body colored panels beneath the DRLs.

Coming to that simply awful D pillar design, the whole blacked out theme to give it a partial floating roof design is what is giving it a MUV feel. The solid body silhouette is missing in the car from B to the D pillar that we all have loved to appreciate in the XUV5OO. To me it looks more like XUV's Front was welded to a Hector end or maybe a Mobilio one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
While the original XUV packed every possible safety tech in its time , it did not say anything of it in the teaser. Just a Cheetah.

Every time I drive the new Safari, I'm reminded of what an achievement the XUV is, 700 has really big shoes to fill.
Exactly my point. In 2011, the competition in 10-20 lakh price bracket was not as much as it is today. You would find only a bunch of offerings spread wide in the bracket. XUV5OO was successful because it created a new segment for itself. 2011 was the Era of hatchbacks and sedans and if you really wanted an SUV, it was above 18-20 lakhs If I remember correctly. You had CR-V, Fortuner, Endeavor, Yeti, Touareg. I mean you could get an X1 at 22- 24 lakhs. Then came in XUV5OO, with such an aggressive price for what it offered. You could get 6 airbags, esp, ABS and a ton of features plus a competent engine for 11-12 lakhs. It looked aggressive and muscular. That's why it was successful. The design was polarizing but it was similar to 2020 Creta polarizing and not KUV polarizing.

Mahindra or any of its executives, need to realize a basic fact about their brand and if they're reading this, I would suggest them to pay close attention. Mahindra vehicles do not sell based on features, or their Fuel economy or the cheap and reliable After Sales Service. That is Hyundai, MS and Toyota respectively. Mahindra sells because they make rugged or rugged looking Muscular SUVs. If you look at the Mahindra stable right now, you will find that Bolero and Scorpio are their best sellers. Last time I checked, they didn't offer any class leading features or a higher FE or a stress and niggle free experience. They sell because they have a rugged and competent design. Marrazo is one their feature loaded vehicle with some of the best interior layout and see how it sells. The same goes for Alturas G4, one of the best vehicles IMO, but DOA due to bad pricing. Mahindra needs to realize its strength and Design of XUV700 is not on of the aforementioned. It's the design beyond the B pillar that is an eye sore, not the distortion of the picture.

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 1st August 2021 at 11:49. Reason: Added new information
Moto_Bear is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:51   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
The front definitely gets a thumbs up from my side. Hope the side and rear profile isn't as distorted in reality as seen through those earlier spyshots.
Old 1st August 2021, 11:53   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post

Coming to that simply awful D pillar design, the whole blacked out theme to give it a partial floating roof design is what is giving it a MUV feel. The solid body silhouette is missing in the car from B to the D pillar that we all have loved to appreciate in the XUV5OO. To me it looks more like XUV's Front was welded to a Hector end or maybe a Mobilio one.
If they were so keen to black out the D pillar, they should have at least allowed the chrome shoulder line to extend all the way around the tailgate. The chrome shoulder line ending abruptly is very ugly.

Quote:
The design was polarizing but it was similar to 2020 Creta polarizing and not KUV polarizing.
2020 Creta was polarising, KUV100 was not. KUV100 was incoherent to frankly ugly.
Geta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:54   #652
BHPian

What a pathetic design language for such an important car for Mahindra.

If Mahindra doesn't completely overhaul its rough and aversive design language, it will soon be looking at exiting urban PV business. No wonder Mahindra shares are lurking at the bottom.

I think Mahindra is slowly losing their plot in most of their businesses. Time to bring a proper successor for Anand Mahindra. His ideas were correct, such as making it so appealing for the youth to buy their cars, but execution has been abysmal in addition to creating a negative image for the company. Immediately fire the design head as a first step.
Old 1st August 2021, 11:56   #653
Senior - BHPian

What's with the hate? This car will look handsome once 2 inch wide chrome appliques have been added to the headlamps, tail lamps and all the vents.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2021 at 19:25. Reason: Grammar
amol4184 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:01   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Pratap Bose approved this design ? (If he was part of the team). The headlights and tail lamps have that typical Mahindra treatment of overdoing things.
I would not like to be seen dead in one!
In my opinion, one of the ugliest vehicles from the Mahindra stable!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:03   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav27 View Post
Curious about “Available in Diesel only”. What does that mean?
Old 1st August 2021, 12:06   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
No Mahindra hasn't removed it. You still get AWD in W11(O).
This is incorrect. The BS6 XUV5OO W11 Opt variant only gets FWD. It was the BS4 version that had AWD in the W11 Opt variant.
SgtRepeat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:13   #657
RJM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.
MY TAKE:

First and the foremost, both Tata and Mahindra woke up late in recognizing the importance of design language, in my opinion the design section should have been replaced with new team( creative, innovative, young) a decade back. It is surprising to see korean and japanese cars taking pole while home grown manufactures who have been around for donkeys' years still cant crack the code??

The other aspect is that both local giants want to influence customer choice in pushing them in a certain direction, whilst this was possible previously but not anymore, e.g. launching products with just manual instead of AT, no 4x4 options, etc etc. similarly, the recent one being the launch of Thar, Im still unsure why it had to be a copy of wrangler? Worldwide sales of wrangler are maximum for its 4 door variant, and Mahindra as well might had launched a 4 door along with 2 door, it would have absolutely killed the market, but again, they must have started worrying about their Scorpio sales, again not understanding the point that consumers have many choices available right now. imagine the market share they would have had even before Jimny or force could even come into the picture.

The only thing that has been seen over the last 2 decades is the catch up both Tata and Mahindra is doing rather than being a bench mark for others to follow.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd August 2021 at 05:07. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 1st August 2021, 12:39   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotil View Post
Curious about “Available in Diesel only”. What does that mean?
It seems only the Diesel Variants will get the ‘Zip Zap Zoom’ drive modes.
Old 1st August 2021, 13:04   #659
BHPian

I can't believe so many people are losing it over the design of a car that is very clearly a prototype / mule. Secondly the shots are distorted by the plastic sheet, the terrible phone camera and the bad angle. If the new Creta - in my and only my humble opinion, the ugliest car above INR 10 lacs to be ever sold in India - can do solid numbers, what stops this car from doing the same (on the basis of design)?

Let's wait for better pictures and PR leaks (I suspect Mahindra will be rushing to release them now) and give this car a chance, shall we?
andafunda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 13:13   #660
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I would not like to be seen dead in one!
In my opinion, one of the ugliest vehicles from the Mahindra stable!
True. This car deserves good response. The entire looks gone wrong it seems. much like KUV100. and someone really need to teach them how to name car's.
Steelneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks