Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 16:20   #61
BHPian

re: Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Vitesse View Post
Dear mods, please move/delete this post if it’s not entirely fitting in to the theme of this thread. Essentially, we need some guidance here in the context of a possible Yaris purchase by my brother! He is thinking of replacing his Desire LX, that he has been using since 2012.

His requirements:
a. Needs an Automatic for a predominantly in-city usage – Office and hospital trips with parents with limited mobility. Usage is < 5k kms per year.
b. He is not an enthusiastic driver and wants a car that is reliable and durable
c. a car that provides a largely predictable ownership experience and costs.
d. Budget: 10 to 13 lakhs
e. has to be a petrol

Hence, I have suggested the following models to him:
1) Yaris CVT (one of the models offering a 3 airbag option): Has some concerns: (i) insufficient rear seat space (head room particularly), (ii) the lack of features in the entry level models and (iii) ultimately the fact that it’d go out of sale soon! However, is it worth it given (a) Toyota reliability (b) possible discounts (c) build quality (d) safety – even for a 3 airbag model? (e) the 3 airbag model can be had for about 13.5 lakhs or 11.5 lakhs depending on the variant. However, concerns regarding the availability of stocks now, continued after sales service (after Yaris is shown the door) and spares availability. Kindly provide your views on these points. Not sure any model offers the pros it offers at this price range!

2) Suzuki S-Cross (AT): Safe bet for all the pros it offers. The fly in the ointment is of course the gear box. I have driven the S-cross and find that it is so much better in terms of the ride comfort, handling and experience it offers in comparison to the DZire.

3) Duster AMT (1.3 turbo): A unrealistic choice really. The two things going for it are the engine and ride comfort. Is it really worth it given how dated the product is (the chassis and interiors) and how the service experience compares to what’d be had from the aforementioned makers?

4) Ford Ecosport (petrol AT): If not for the realistic possibility of Ford leaving India, this’d be on top of the list. Does anyone have any info on this 

5) Jazz CVT – A good option except for my experience on how sitting in the back seat feels – plain painful with no adjustable head rest!

6) Nexon – not really an option in comparison to others as it’s an AMT…umimpressive I reckon.

Models not considered include:
1) Rapid TSi AT – a no brainer if I were going for the vehicle. However, Skoda is associated with a perception of unpredictability in all aspects (except for a fun-to-drive experience). He doesn’t want both!

2) Hyundais – Creta and Verna are out of budget and Venue is not considered for the poor space if offers. Similar arguments can me made about the Kia equivalents. I hope he doesn’t like the aura as it’s not an upgrade over the Dzire and probably not as well built as the above choices!

3) Maruti Baleno CVT – A strict no.

4) Nissan Kicks is a no too

I’m inclined to strongly suggest the Yaris. But, Is it a bad option? What say folks on this issue?
Would not recommend Yaris in this situation.
But surprisingly you dont have the All New Honda City in your list of options? That probably fits all your requirements and definitely a better option than Yaris in my opinion. With 4 airbags, ABS, EBD, TC and more right from the basic model it is well poised in this segment.
Doc_Hudson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 19:14   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Hudson View Post
Would not recommend Yaris in this situation.
But surprisingly you dont have the All New Honda City in your list of options? That probably fits all your requirements and definitely a better option than Yaris in my opinion. With 4 airbags, ABS, EBD, TC and more right from the basic model it is well poised in this segment.
Actually, it's because of the budget factor that Honda City is not on the shortlist. I don't think that it (we need an automatic) can be had for anything less than 14.7 or 15 lakhs. Else, it's a good choice. Thanks.
Grand Vitesse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:15   #63
BHPian

I first saw the Yaris in Colombo and found it quite attractive. That was not the model that came to India, much later.

The problem in Toyota India is that they have put themselves on a pedestal with the Fortuner and Innova (with regard to product and profitability). This has possibly made them arrogant and too reliant on the brand image created by these two nameplates.

The Yaris was not 'special' enough (unlike the Fortuner and Innova) to differentiate itself from competitors: price, interior space, technology.
Old 14th April 2021, 19:55   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Vitesse View Post
Actually, it's because of the budget factor that Honda City is not on the shortlist. I don't think that it (we need an automatic) can be had for anything less than 14.7 or 15 lakhs. Else, it's a good choice. Thanks.

Please do have a look at the Maruti Ertiga ZXI AT, Maruti XL6 Zeta AT, Ciaz Delta AT and Brezza AT. These cars seem to fit the bill. I would have also recommended the Amaze CVT, but that car may not feel like a major upgrade over the existing Dzire.
The Yaris may not be a good option at this point of time; it never sold in good numbers in the first place and now that it has been discontinued, I am pretty apprehensive about part availability over the long term.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 14th April 2021 at 19:59.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 20:20   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Now that it has been discontinued, I am pretty apprehensive about part availability over the long term.
Yaris hasn’t been discontinued yet, it’s still a rumour which 90% will be true seeing the sales figures, although no worries of spare parts in the long term! Toyota’s strong point is after-sales, case in point when Toyota discontinued the Corolla Altis just before BS6 was implemented, they had very specifically said that spare parts for it will be available for the next 10 years.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 00:27   #66
BHPian

I don't know why Toyota isn't interested in expanding their portfolio[], but to be honest, their whole Yaris lineup worldwide has the potential of dislodging every premium hatchback available in the Indian market from their respective places right now, IF priced correctly.

Especially the Yaris hatchbacks and crosses are HOT!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed-toyotayarishybrid2020rot1200x689.jpg  

Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed-2020_toyota_yaris_design_hev_cvt_1.5_rear.jpg  

Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed-2021toyotayariscrossurbanhybridawd2021toyotayariscross1.jpg  

Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed-2021toyotayariscrossurbanhybridawd2021toyotayariscross13.jpg  

stallmaster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 03:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Toyota , please discontinue the awkward looking Yaris and bring back the current generation Corolla Altis to the indian car market. And, the Yaris hatch. There will be enough buyers here to pay a reasonable premium for any of these cars. Thank you.
Old 17th April 2021, 16:32   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Rebadged Maruti Ciaz To Replace Toyota Yaris, Launch In Coming Months.

Quote:
As part of the rebadge exercise, Maruti Suzuki Ciaz will be supplied to Toyota, for it to be rebadged as a Toyota with minor changes to the front. It will act as a replacement to the Yaris and the launch will happen in the coming months. This will help in saving the production costs involved with the Yaris, and the Ciaz can be manufactured under one roof. The production of Yaris will be stopped in a couple of month
Quote:
Expect the rebadged Toyota Ciaz to be offered in limited trim levels compared to the donor and perhaps a better standard warranty to attract customers.

The re-badged sedan is expected to carry forward the success as seen in Glanza and Urban Cruiser.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:44   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

The re-badged sedan is expected to carry forward the success as seen in Glanza and Urban Cruiser.
I think it's better off for the Toyota brand to just sell Innova and Fortuner and leave the tincans for Suzuki to sell. If they want the profits, they can go ahead and acquire Suzuki. These rebadging exercises are making even hard-core Toyota fans to loose interest. I own a yaris and I am sure it will be the last Toyota that I ever buy.

Go to hell Toyota with your QDR and rebadged coffins!
nagr22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 18:38   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Rebadged Maruti Ciaz To Replace Toyota Yaris, Launch In Coming Months.
My sincere request to Toyota is not to name the rebadged Ciaz as Yaris or Ativ or Vios. Give any other name to the tin can Ciaz (no offense meant to the Ciaz owners). At least, this will help existing Yaris owners to differentiate and feel proud of owning a true Toyota car.
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 18:52   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
I don't know why Toyota isn't interested in expanding their portfolio[], but to be honest, their whole Yaris lineup worldwide has the potential of dislodging every premium hatchback available in the Indian market from their respective places right now, IF priced correctly.

Especially the Yaris hatchbacks and crosses are HOT!
I agree their worldwide Yaris model looks good and has potential to create its own market share in India. But I might be wrong, I think it’s got something to do with the sub 4m rule we have in our country. Which might be adding to the development cost of these product specifically for India market only. I feel if we get rid of 4m rule. Our car industry will witness better products.

I seriously hope they don’t give any of their global car names to the rebadge Ciaz if at all it makes it to their showroom.
Yaris was a good car had they priced it correctly from launch.

OT - after exiting Etios twin space except for Innova and Fortuner Toyota is going be predominantly a rebadging company.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 17th April 2021 at 18:58.
arvindmanju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 18:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehacker View Post
It has become such a cliche to call Toyota cars boring! Thanks to the Top Gear trio.

Yaris offered everything one expects from a Toyota and what most Indian consumers want - reliability, space, practicality and comfort. [/list]

As an owner of a Toyota Yaris and a Toyota Etios, the case of space goes in favor of the Etios. Despite the Yaris measuring 4.425m as compared to 4.369m of the Etios, the Etios has far more leg space in the rear and the boot space too is much larger in the Etios.
Old 27th September 2021, 12:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Toyota India has discontinued the Yaris in India.

Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed-20210927_122111.jpg

Quote:
Company statement says, "this move is a part of Toyota’s product strategy to continue to cater to the ever-evolving needs of the customer through enhanced technologies and product offerings."
Quote:
Toyota has said that it continue to cater to all Yaris customers’ needs through its dealer service outlets across the country, along with the promise of availability of Toyota genuine spare parts for minimum next 10 years on this discontinued model.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 27th September 2021 at 12:33.
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:20   #74
Team-BHP Support

From the press release:

Quote:
Toyota Kirloskar Motor announces the discontinuation of Yaris in India with effect from 27th Sep 2021. This move is a part of Toyota’s product strategy to continue to cater to the ever-evolving needs of the customer through enhanced technologies and product offerings. In every sense, the Yaris is truly a top-class, versatile sedan. Ever since its India debut, the Yaris built on Toyota’s QDR philosophy, won the hearts of the customers with its stunning style & design, leading features, low maintenance cost and unmatchable drivability, thus creating a unique ownership experience. We thank all our customers for their support and placing their trust in the brand. We would like to continue to serve such customers with other current offerings and preparations are underway to launch new Toyota models in the coming new year 2022.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:52   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
From the press release:
I wonder what do they mean by “New Toyota models coming in the new year 2022” MS rebadged products or real Toyota products? Must be the former only, other than the Hilux CBU.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks