Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 12:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed

According to a media report, Toyota is evaluating the possibility of phasing out the Yaris sedan from the Indian market.

Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed-2018toyotayaris01.jpg

The Yaris has been on sale since May 2018, but its sales haven't been anything to write home about. Last year, poor sales had forced the carmaker to discontinue three variants of the sedan.

The Yaris is currently offered with a 1.5-litre petrol engine that puts out 107 BHP and 140 Nm. The engine is mated to either a 6-speed manual or a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Toyota hasn't confirmed the reports of the Yaris being discontinued in India. The company has stated that it would continue to sell the sedan and cater to market needs and consumer requirements.

Source: Hindu Businessline

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 9th April 2021 at 12:57.
TusharK is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota might discontinue the Yaris in India | EDIT: Confirmed

Good riddance! I feel bad for the scores of vendors who will now have to write off their investments.

This picture makes it look pathetic with that huge grill and gaping bumper, extra-large headlamps and tiny tyres.
itwasntme is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good riddance!
The problem is - Toyota might be looking at replacing the Yaris with another rebadged Maruti - may be the next generation Ciaz!

Even I would have never bought / shortlisted a Yaris - too boring to even look at, IMHO - but it was one of the best built Japanese small cars on the market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:26   #4
BHPian

What!! Is the Yaris still on sale?

Jokes apart. This is all the more reason for Toyota to hide under a rock and start churning out rebadged Marutis.

They will simply say, 'We launched something, but it didn't sell well. India is not a mature enough market for our product'.

Their boring product launch notwithstanding.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th April 2021 at 14:01. Reason: Typos
racer_ash is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:40   #5
BHPian

I kind of anticipated this last week. Last week, I was driving past their Bidadi plant on a weekday morning at 8 AM and found an unusual number of Yaris on the road. Then it struck me - these are employees of Toyota who must have got it at steep discounts. Had they ditched the roof mounted AC vents and gone with a sunroof, the numbers might have gone up a bit.
sramanat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:57   #6
BHPian

Isn't it sort of ironical?

Yaris sees a strong MoM growth of about `30-50% since January '21, and here we're, in April '21, discussing a possibility of curtains down?

Just to put numbers in perspective, Yaris' retail dispatches stands at 226 (Dec '21), 412 (Jan '21), 657 (Feb '21) and 871 (March '21).
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:58   #7
BHPian

Won't call it a completely false rumour. I went to Toyota showroom last Saturday and the SA informed me that Yaris is available only in the base variant. I had been eyeing it for quite some time and seemed like a viable competitor to the City but the base variant loses on too many features. The lame 1.5 petrol doesn't help Yaris' case either.
Old 9th April 2021, 14:12   #8
BHPian

Well well, this was expected. The car has nothing special and looks too boring if not hideous. It won't have great resale value either as it has sold in very few numbers. I personally have seen only a handful of Yarises in these years.

And maybe as many others have mentioned, there might be another rebadged Maruti Suzuki on the way. But who are we to say...

Toyota really needs to up it's game or else we may have another Chevrolet case here

Cheers
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:18   #9
BHPian

I really feel that Toyota needs to refocus their game in the Indian market. While they have done a really good job with the Fortuner and Innova, they need to think outside the box. I remember the legendary lineup that Toyota used to have back in the day, especially during the 2000-2012 period.

For me personally models like the Urban Cruiser and the Glanza have taken away the appeal from the brand. If I wanted a Suzuki car, I would just go to Suzuki directly.

Hope to see new models and hopefully, a new India centric strategy by Toyota soon like most of the other manufacturers are currently doing. No offence to current Toyota owners, I've been one myself and maybe that's why it bugs me more!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:51   #10
BHPian

It has become such a cliche to call Toyota cars boring! Thanks to the Top Gear trio.

Yaris offered everything one expects from a Toyota and what most Indian consumers want - reliability, space, practicality and comfort. It had a bit more of all of this and the added advantage of safety over its main rivals. It also came with some segment first features - front parking sensons, 7 airbags, TPMS, acoustic and vibration control glass etc. CVT and optional kit was offered on all the variants, even the base J variant And it was NOT boring to drive - I have driven it quite extensively and never felt so. Looks are subjective, I find the looks of Yaris okay.

I think it failed because of:
  • bad pricing
  • extremely late launch, market had mostly moved on from sedans. Toyota was late by just 5-8 years.
  • less market buzz
  • market has now moved to turbo petrols and pseudo-SUVs

Last edited by thehacker : 9th April 2021 at 15:14.
thehacker is online now   (41) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:53   #11
BHPian

The Yaris, Etios and the Corolla are what make Toyota the most boring OEM in India. They are just yawn inducing heaps of metal that no one want to touch with a barge pole. The only people who I could ever imagine driving them were senior citizens. These were brought in only for the taxi market and good riddance.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Even I would have never bought / shortlisted a Yaris - too boring to even look at, IMHO - but it was one of the best built Japanese small cars on the market.
During the initial year they had a variant J CVT with 7 airbags @ 9.95L ex-showroom which was awesome. Build quality is level above Honda city.
Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 15:42   #13
BHPian

I doubt if it is still a rumour. I was looking to replace my car (Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?) and considered Yaris only to drop it off my list later, due to the budget stretch.

After looking at this thread I though I can get a discount now and called the showroom only to be told "Sorry sir, Yaris is no longer under production, are you considering any other vehicle?".

They even confirmed they don't have any Yaris in stock.
gk01 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 16:00   #14
BHPian

This Car(Yaris) has mostly suffered to do good numbers overall since its launch. I do like the Toyota Etios Diesel version, but not the central console on it. If Toyota could launch a facelift of the Etios(Diesel especially) with new interior and exterior design, an automatic version and all the needed bells and whistles which can make it a bit more premium, I would prefer that. I know a lot may think of the T badge it carries, however scoring 4/5 on Global NCAP did ensure the car is not bad on safety, though there is always room to improve. Overall Toyota in general has to a do a lot for new launches in India.
Old 9th April 2021, 16:00   #15

Yaris at best was second base in any department. Space ciaz and city rule. equipment city and verna.

Driving pleasure again not there. It's hard to convince head for buying base Yaris over ciaz on any count and top model over city. Narrow cabin, excessive price. Each product has to have usp and it had none. Toyota reliability is over hyped. Any car in market except Tata easily lasts long if maintained. Scorpio does 2lakh without breaking sweat even swift can do 1.5 lakh plus without an issue. I had alto and sold it after 1 lakh 5 years in 2015 at 65 percent price. Sold ciaz post 4 years at 70 percent value. They have to understand the market and launch products.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th April 2021 at 16:41. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Steer-safe is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed