Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 21:33   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhildrao View Post
Seems to be that you're not seeing clearly. The i20 sells 9k units while polo barely averages 900. So there's economic sense to localize the i20 as they can recuperate the costs with economies of scale.
What do you mean? VW & Skoda have plants at Chakan & Aurangabad where they produce cars like Polo, Vento, Tiguan, Rapid, Superb, etc. Even some Audi cars are made locally. The point is not about economics, it's about VW's strategy in India which is 5th largest car market in the world. How come they sell the latest one in South Africa & Brazil but not in India? How can they compete with others with an old model? Doesn't make any sense. They either try selling new models or shut shop.

Last edited by CarNerd : 11th April 2021 at 21:36.
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 21:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
I am not sure why we keep bringing in 4 metre car length rule in GST regime.
I don't understand. The next gen polo will still be affected by the tax in its 1.0 TSI specs because of it being longer than 4 meter per this info from paisabazaar

Is this incorrect, am I missing something?

Rumour: VW considering the next-gen Polo for India-screenshot-20210411-9.38.16-pm.png
shishir333 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 09:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: VW considering the next-gen Polo for India

This version of the Polo measure 4053mm in International markets, with the hatch lid closed. Instead of structural changes that involve the chassis, I am sure a small change in bumper design can get it to fit in the 4m bracket. Lets say VW don't bother with the bumper change, how much would the cost of this car increase by, as it exceeds the 4m threshold? 50k INR? I doubt if anyone will have a problem coughing up that difference.

The problem with this Polo is the same as the existing one sold in India. There is next to no room at the back. VW have not done much to improve rear passenger legroom. It is just as cramped as the previous generation. Other than this one small (or large) problem, this car has everything going for it. Top notch interiors and quality everywhere. If we are okay to pay 12lacs for a Hyundai i20, I see no reason why folks would not buy a VW Polo.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 10:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Top notch interiors and quality everywhere. If we are okay to pay 12lacs for a Hyundai i20, I see no reason why folks would not buy a VW Polo.
People are not okay with paying 12L+ for i20. You can see that with the falling sales, and it's partially the reason Venue's sale picked up. Also, Polo GT costs 12L OTR in Bangalore already. Considering 4m less rule it would cost 14L OTR, and if that's the case, VW has no need for Taigun to kill their sales.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The problem with this Polo is the same as the existing one sold in India. There is next to no room at the back. VW have not done much to improve rear passenger legroom. It is just as cramped as the previous generation.
If they fixed that, it might be a Golf, rather than a Polo! You are saying that the problem with this small car is that it is a small car. For those looking for a small car it is not a problem.

Wonderful car for singles and couples, young and old, who do not have to accommodate grown children and/or elders. And that is a market, isn't it? Perhaps not enough.

Suits me. Even a two-door version (give me a GTi, someone, please! ) would suit me.

But hey, I'm a fanboy
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 03:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
For those looking for a small car it is not a problem.
Agreed. I was just highlighting the fact that room at the back is still limited with this new Polo, as I have driven one. The way our market thinks cars, especially hatchbacks, with every new generation, there is a certain expectation such as more space and toys. Personally; I don't have the luxury to own two cars. With a growing child, a car as cramped as this does not work for me. I am sure it can work for many who don't care about that back seat. In a price and value conscious market, we want that one "do it all" car. The competition maybe selling an inferior car to this Polo but they all score better on space. I don't know what VW's goal is with regard to sales numbers. Maybe they don't care to compete with the big two and are content even if it sells a lot less.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 04:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. Of course, many just do need that space. But your last post made me consider how many more simply want it to be there, whether they need it or not.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 09:10   #23

Re: Rumour: VW considering the next-gen Polo for India

Sub 4m "SUVs" have become the default pick for anyone with a budget of 10lakh. The delay in the launch of the new polo is totally justified, considered the mindset of the average Indian buyer. Not only will the new Polo compete with these hot selling cars in terms of price, it will look smaller and feel smaller, although of same length, if not more. Just shows how much the big car status matters more than feel good factor in India.
Still, a new polo would definitely find buyers, considering how the latest model sells well even after being a decade old and on the expensive side.
RomanPearce is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 11:15   #24
BHPian

The same set of people who don't mind spending 10 lacs on a decade old Polo will also be interested in buying the new Polo.

VW customers are not price sensitive in the traditional sense. Will they happily spend 40ish lacs on a Merc or BMW? No. Will they happily spend 40ish lacs on a Kodiaq or Tiguan? Yes absolutely.

The greatest pitfall of VW India has been its failure to truly understand its core customer.

A Maruti/Hyundai potential customer may consider the Polo but will rarely put money on the table for it.

Will the new Polo sell like hot cakes if VW localises it? Not really because the cost will still be slightly more than the competition.
But what it will do, is make a certain section of people extremely happy. And that will lead to brand building and ensure sales of the more expensive products in the VW lineup.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 11:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
Year 2050: VW considering replacing Polo and Vento that are now half a century old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
Year 2053: Polo Turbo Tango edition launched.

On a serious note, I'm wondering what's the issue with VW India? Even if you ignore all service/maintenance issues, they have no interesting models below 25L OTR. Taigun is not much of a product to make a dent in CSUV segment in anyway (even if they release it this year).

And yet looking timeless in 2050/53?

On a serious note: if they continue to build solid cars and skip some gizmos to control costs, they can still get decent numbers.

My in-laws who have a vento are not happy with any other sedan in the segment /hatchback just because of the missing solid thud. Even I would value a solid car over tablets as ICEs

Last edited by aayusht : 14th April 2021 at 12:00.
aayusht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 14:59   #26
BHPian

Would the headlights of the new Polo (MK6?) be a direct fit for the current Polo sold in India?
If there is one thing that makes the front end of the current Polo a bit bland are those vanilla double barrel headlights. They just need a dash of pizzazz to spice up things a bit for a good looking (decade old) car
Old 14th April 2021, 15:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

If the Taigun and the Kushaq are the smallest car VW group can belt out around 10 lakh rupees, there is no way the new Polo will enter India anytime soon. Those sub compact suvs are infact based on the same architecture and for a Polo to be commercially viable it would have to cost half as much as the Kushaq which is not fiscally feasible to achieve without drastic corner cuts in quality and safety.

Zac Hollis stressing the fact about not having a Rapid replacement and him instead focusing on a bigger sedan based on the same platform is the clue. If the Polo were to arrive then the Russian spec 2021 Rapid would also arrive to share costs across the group.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
VW customers are not price sensitive in the traditional sense. Will they happily spend 40ish lacs on a Merc or BMW?
VW Polo buyers* don't have that sort of money. Would I buy a BMW or a Merc if I could? Of course! Will I ever? Nope. Not even in my dreams.

10 lakh is not easy for me, but it is possible. 40 Lakh is not, never has been, and never will be. There are buyers at all levels of the financial spectrum: surely there are many more like me?

*As an only or primary car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 18:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, current Polo only looks better than new one. Though it is old, it has timeless design and still look stunning in colors like Red/Black.
Old 14th April 2021, 19:57   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Would the headlights of the new Polo (MK6?) be a direct fit for the current Polo sold in India?
No man, that’s totally different from the current ones. Your best bet is to maybe get the OEM projector equipped lights with the LED DRLs or the OEM all-LED ones from the Vento or maybe even retrofit a good set of LED projectors from Morimoto on the double barrel headlamps.

There are umpteen options to soup up the Polo.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed