Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 10:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Polo TSI now available in Comfortline trim

Having discontinued the Turbo Edition, Volkswagen has now introduced a Comfortline TSI variant of the Polo. It is positioned under the Highline Plus trim and is priced at Rs. 7.41 lakh (ex-showroom).

Volkswagen Polo TSI now available in Comfortline trim-volkswagenpolo3.jpg

The Comfortline TSI variant misses out on features such as a touchscreen infotainment system, cruise control, rain-sensing wipers and 16-inch alloy wheels. Instead, this variant gets basic features like a 2-DIN audio system with Bluetooth, manual air-conditioning, power windows, along with the mandatory set of safety features.

The Comfortline TSI variant is offered with the 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder, turbo-petrol engine that produces 109 BHP and 175 Nm. The engine comes mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. It does not get the 6-speed automatic gearbox which is available in the Highline Plus and GT trims.
TusharK is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 11:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo TSI now available in Comfortline trim

This is poor value. Last may, the TSI edition, which had all the features of the Highline Plus with an added contrast roof, was available at 7.89 lakhs! There were also reports of good discounts even on top of this at many dealerships. Compared to that, the current Comfortline TSI misses a lot of equipment such as the touchscreen ICE, cruise control, auto-dimming IRVM, 16 inch alloys, cornering lights, auto-wipers, power-folding ORVMs and a host of other features that are worth at least 1-1.5 lakhs.
84.monsoon is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 11:45   #3
BHPian

Interesting news! VW has been doing mix-and-match with various trims, labelling, and prices on this for a while now. Maybe trying to extract some more revenue out of an aging platform before bringing in the new Polo.

However, for merely 40K more (ex-showroom) one can get the Skoda Rapid Rider - a full-size sedan. The little Polo makes sense as a powerful stylish safe city car which can also perform well on occasional highway runs. But this will lose out to the Rapid Rider for customers looking for size and a sizeable boot.
Miel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 12:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

No, thank you VW! I had to cancel my turbo edition booking as they failed to deliver. I have not received my booking amount refund yet.
Latheesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 13:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This is poor value. Last may, the TSI edition, which had all the features of the Highline Plus with an added contrast roof, was available at 7.89 lakhs! There were also reports of good discounts even on top of this at many dealerships. Compared to that, the current Comfortline TSI misses features that are worth at least 1-1.5 lakhs.
Shortened the quote of conciseness but wholeheartedly agree with you. There simply is no middle ground with the VW Lineup and that has been the case since the very beginning, although it has manifested itself in a different form now. Obviously, apart from the Highline and the HL+ any other iterations of the car in lower-spec trims leave much to be desired.

This was acceptable back in the day when VW has a list of features similar to the competitor's but right now VW is certainly lacking the bells and whistles. My first VW was a Comfortline in 2012 and I swore to never buy Comfortline models again. In 2012 VW cars weren't just missing 'features', they were missing necessities, only the HL version had Dual Front Airbags!

When I purchased my 3rd VW in late 2015, even then the situation was the same. The refreshed Vento looked absolutely dreary in the Comfortline iteration while the Highline was/is an amazing car. Really important to think of the fact that VW started offering cornering lights in an arguably mainstream segment car all the back in '15!

Last edited by AKSarkar1 : 16th April 2021 at 13:59.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 14:00   #6
BHPian

There isn't much value in going for this trim since by increasing the budget by 50K, buyer can get the bigger Skoda Rapid with better leg room & approximately same set of usable features.
I really want to understand what market analysis does VW take into consideration before coming up with these ridiculous price tags & editions. Hopefully they don't carried away with Taigun pricing.
CafeRacer16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 14:35   #7
BHPian

For all those recommending the Rapid, the Vento/Rapid are jugaad extended boot versions of the Polo/Fabia. The Ameo was an even bigger sub 4m jugaad from VW. They look hideous in my opinion and neither of them have the class/timelessness/driving dynamics of the Polo.

Also, the Polo with the 1.0l TSi and manual box is a tuners delight. At 7.4L ex showroom it is a car I would buy and then tune the hell out of it. A remap, coilovers, rims would total out to not more than 1.5L. Anyone who has driven a 150HP Polo with an aftermarket exhaust will never bother with anything else again.

Again, what do I know. A larger boot probably turns on people more than a lovely exhaust note in India.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 20:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
For all those recommending the Rapid, the Vento/Rapid are jugaad extended boot versions of the Polo/Fabia. The Ameo was an even bigger sub 4m jugaad from VW.
Very bold claims these. Would really like to know about the basis on which you say that Vento/Rapid are "Jugaads". If we go by your "extended boot" theory then only about 15% of the cars in the world are original and all others Jugaad. Ameo I can somewhat agree since it wasn't meant to exist when the Polo was conceived but Vento/Rapid definitely not.

Also I see from your profile that you have a Creta and Duster as well. Would really like to point out to you that if you feel the VW sedans are jugaads, Creta and Duster are beyond jugaads then.

Quote:
They look hideous in my opinion and neither of them have the class/timelessness/driving dynamics of the Polo.
Classiness/looks can be a subjective matter. I personally don't think they look hideous, handsome infact however I respect your opinion. As for driving dynamics, please drive them before coming to any conclusions. Then again it is a shocker for me that you find them having terrible driving dynamics but still own a Creta!

Quote:
Also, the Polo with the 1.0l TSi and manual box is a tuners delight. At 7.4L ex showroom it is a car I would buy and then tune the hell out of it. A remap, coilovers, rims would total out to not more than 1.5L.
Agreed, the Polo makes for an amazing tuner's car but for 99.9% of people that doesn't even matter so going for a Polo just because you can tune it to mad levels is pure idiotic if looking for a family car

Also the Rapid/Vento use the very same powertrain which means you can tune/modify them just as much as a Polo and do not have to give up the legroom or boot space. Performance would take a slight hit I agree but then again nobody(atleast I hope you or anybody else) isn't doing 0-200 drag runs on the streets. That's one very surefire way of heavily abusing the engine and also one of going to jail.

Quote:
Anyone who has driven a 150HP Polo with an aftermarket exhaust will never bother with anything else again.
Disagree here once more. Polo isn't definitely the last name in performance. There are plenty cars you can upgrade to which would give better performance in all aspects.

Quote:
Again, what do I know. A larger boot probably turns on people more than a lovely exhaust note in India.
Very arrogant and snobbish statement. Not everybody has two other crossovers for practical duties, not everybody can afford multiple cars, not everybody needs a compact hatchback, not everybody wants the poor legroom.
sodapop is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 20:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
This is poor value. Last may, the TSI edition, which had all the features of the Highline Plus with an added contrast roof, was available at 7.89 lakhs! There were also reports of good discounts even on top of this at many dealerships. Compared to that, the current Comfortline TSI misses a lot of equipment such as the touchscreen ICE, cruise control, auto-dimming IRVM, 16 inch alloys, cornering lights, auto-wipers, power-folding ORVMs and a host of other features that are worth at least 1-1.5 lakhs.
My dad got the delivery of the Comfortline TSI today. The car was booked in March and paid 6.95L ex-showroom (insurance and registration extra) after discounts. The dealer has provided seat covers, spoiler and floor mats complimentary. So almost a lakh cheaper than the highline plus price in May 2020, I think it makes sense for someone looking to enjoy the 1.0TSI and 6 speed manual box and doesn't need the latest tech like my dad. It's a pocket rocket which can be further customized or remapped.

The current highline plus is 8.49L ex-showroom with discounts in the range of 50-60K. Still available at almost the same price as in May 2020.
sid_deb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 14:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
Very bold claims these. Would really like to know about the basis on which you say that Vento/Rapid are "Jugaads". If we go by your "extended boot" theory then only about 15% of the cars in the world are original and all others.

Creta and Duster are beyond jugaads then.
The Vento and Rapid were indeed "Developing Country" extensions of the Polo. They are only sold in markets like India, Mexico, Brazil etc. You will not find them in Western Europe, as it would be sacrilegious for VW or a sister company to launch such disproportionate cars that hurt the aesthetic sensibilities of their home customer base who have an eye for clean, good designs. If you take a close look at the Vento/Rapid, you will see that they are too narrow and short, considering their length.

Beg to disagree about Creta and Duster. The new Creta is actually overall a well-executed design and one of the best from the house of Hyundai so far, though Hyundai, as usual, has copied various elements from other brands. To clarify my point, one cannot claim that the Creta is an bulked up extension of the Verna or Elantra, it looks visually distinct. The Duster, though ugly, is also a distinct, ground up design done by Dacia, the Romanian subsidiary of Renault.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th April 2021 at 23:37. Reason: Raid > Rapid
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
The Vento and Rapid were indeed "Developing Country" extensions of the Polo. They are only sold in markets like India, Mexico, Brazil etc. You will not find them in Western Europe, as it would be sacrilegious for VW or a sister company to launch such disproportionate cars that hurt the aesthetic sensibilities of their home customer base who have an eye for clean, good designs.
Well, the very Creta you consider "international" is also indeed only sold in developing markets if that is your dipstick to measure the authenticity of a car. Disproportionate cars comment made be . Buddy there are so many disproportionate cars that are made by European manufacturers for their own roads its better we don't go into that. If you refer to the so-called "Jugaads" as inferior products, do provide some proper scientific proof rather than just making unsubstantiated statements.

Quote:
If you take a close look at the Vento/Rapid, you will see that they are too narrow and short, considering their length.
Please make me understand how that makes it a "Jugaad"? Even if I consider it, please tell me how is the "authentic" Accent (their equivalent of Verna) just as long and narrower than the indian Vento and Rapid?

Quote:
Beg to disagree about Creta and Duster. The new Creta is actually overall a well-executed design and one of the best from the house of Hyundai so far, though Hyundai, as usual, has copied various elements from other brands. To clarify my point, one cannot claim that the Creta is an bulked up extension of the Verna or Elantra, it looks visually distinct. The Duster, though ugly, is also a distinct, ground up design done by Dacia, the Romanian subsidiary of Renault.
As mentioned earlier, styling is a very subjective choice so I won't comment on that. Also as I again mentioned before, going by your Theory of a car to be sold in the EU to be considered authentic, the Creta is also made and sold only in developing markets. And please tell me how can you not claim that it isn't just a bulked up version of the Elantra just because it is visually distinct? That way even an Etios Cross is an entirely different car and not a bulked up version of the Liva, that way even an XL6 is completely different to an Ertiga. Its easy to claim things, not prove. I am asking for proof and not claims.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2021 at 08:07. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
sodapop is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 18:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Vento and Rapid were indeed "Developing Country" extensions of the Polo. They are only sold in markets like India, Mexico, Brazil etc.You will not find them in Western Europe, as it would be sacrilegious for VW or a sister company to launch such disproportionate cars that hurt the aesthetic sensibilities of their home customer base who have an eye for clean, good designs. If you take a close look at the Vento/Rapid, you will see that they are too narrow and short, considering their length.
The Skoda Rapid is / was sold in the UK and Western Europe with the same dimensions as sold in India. The only difference was that it was sold as a notchback in the UK / EU and not with a separate boot.

Skoda could not incorporate the notchback in the Indian version as it was using VW’s production line for the Vento which has a separate trunk. So the Indian Rapid could not be produced as a notchback.

As for the dimensions, it is exactly the same as the UK / EU variants except that the EU variant was longer by a few MM because of the notchback. The current Rapid has been discontinued in some markets now with the 2021 model due out soon.

UK / EU Rapid pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo TSI now available in Comfortline trim-1e2912eecfb8427c980b26114e6ddb6d.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo TSI now available in Comfortline trim-6ae8b1846e0b488581d2f3d8235440f4.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th April 2021 at 23:37. Reason: Quoted post edited.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 20:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The Skoda Rapid is / was sold in the UK and Western Europe with the same dimensions as sold in India. The only difference was that it was sold as a notchback in the UK / EU and not with a separate boot.
Nope, the Rapid sold in Europe was a completely different car. It was based on the refreshed and elongated Fabia platform and not the Polo. It is wider than the India car as well. One look at the interiors will tell the difference (UK version on left, Indian version on right)
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo TSI now available in Comfortline trim-picture1.png  

84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 22:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, the Rapid sold in Europe was a completely different car. It was based on the refreshed and elongated Fabia platform and not the Polo. It is wider than the India car as well.
The Rapid is based on VW’s PQ 25 platform. This same platform has been used by the VW group for EU / UK and India. It's identical to the SEAT Toledo and the platform is a development of that found under the VW Polo Mk5.

No Skoda has been specifically made for India other than the new Kushaq.

Quote:
One look at the interiors will tell the difference (UK version on left, Indian version on right)
It’s not just the interiors that’s different, look closer and you’ll find even more differences - different tail light, different rear bumper, different trunk, wider by 7 mm, taller by 2 mm, longer by a few mm too.

That doesn’t make it a different car. It’s the same Rapid with minor modifications for each region.

Anyway enough of OT. Was attempting to correct the wrong information being posted.

Last edited by AMG Power : 17th April 2021 at 22:13.
AMG Power is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 05:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Also, the Polo with the 1.0l TSi and manual box is a tuners delight. At 7.4L ex showroom it is a car I would buy and then tune the hell out of it. A remap, coilovers, rims would total out to not more than 1.5L. Anyone who has driven a 150HP Polo with an aftermarket exhaust will never bother with anything else again.

Quality Remap (Quantum/Revo/APR) - 40K
Coilovers ( Eibach/Bilstein/MTS/KW) - 1.2-1.4Lakh +
Wheels and Tires - 80K.
Exhaust + Downpipe - 28K.

Total - 2.9Lakh. Don't know where you pulled the figure of 1.5Lakh. My Coilovers and BOV alone cost 1.35lakh.
devilwearsprada is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks