Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 18:18   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rebadged Maruti Ciaz to replace Toyota Yaris. EDIT : Named as Toyota Belta

Toyota Belta was also the name of the 2nd generation Yaris and Vios sold across the world.

Rebadged Maruti Ciaz to replace Toyota Yaris. EDIT : Named as Toyota Belta-75f75269bb84445eac52e0a944e001ec.jpeg

Toyota could have gone with Vios instead of Belta for the Ciaz. Since all rebadged Maruti-Suzuki cars are being named after Toyotas.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 19th April 2021 at 18:42.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 01:01   #77
BHPian

The day is not far when a wannabe SUV from the Maruti-Suzuki stable like the S-presso shall be sold in the Indian market with a Toyota badge (by whatever name) and may be touted as a mini/micro Fortuner and I'm sure it shall sell well, coz Toyota badge brings 'reliability' with it. Don't know what has happened to Toyota. A prospective customer not wanting a MS car in the first place would certainly not invest in a pricier same/similar car with a Toyota badge. Sharing of synergies between auto-manufacturers should certainly not go to this extent.
sanyog26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 01:39   #78
BHPian

Disappointing behaviour from Toyota India. just diluting its goodwill and brand value.

I dont want any MS products whether MS or branded T. So I guess I'm out of this T badge, many like me, all the best to T if they continue this they will be packing up soon too.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st April 2021 at 11:27. Reason: Please capitalise letters appropriately. Thanks.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 01:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The world's largest car manufacturer is reduced to cut-copy-paste in India. What a sorry state of affairs. But then, other than the Innova & Fortuner, Toyota has never really done anything impressive or noteworthy in India.

I have to just weep at the missed opportunities. If Toyota had brought the pick of their global portfolio here, they could have been a force to reckon with.
I think that the JV with Kirloskar is preventing Toyota from bringing their global cars to India. If the JV splits, Kirloskar could end up selling Toyota cars with Kirloskar badging like how Hero sold rebadged Honda bikes after their JV split.

Last edited by donzerus : 20th April 2021 at 01:44.
Old 20th April 2021, 02:40   #80
bvk
BHPian

I am sure for people like me who always considered Toyota and Quality, Reliability as synonyms, this MS re-badging business was a heart break. I can still get over the reliability part as MS cars are also quite reliable but just cannot digest the quality part.

In tier 2 or 3 towns many people won't know a Glanza/UC is actually a Maruti and just buy for the brand and quality image of Toyota. (just like how many people believe MG to be a British company). Ignorance is bliss!
bvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 12:06   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Thanks, but my question is more from accounting perspective.
If Maruti books a sale to Toyota, that means for every Urban Cruiser sold, there's a unit sale increase in Vitara Brezza, isn't it? That's fantastic for Maruti shareholders!
Or am I getting it wrong?
I suppose the margins will be different on such sales. I think the sale to Toyota will be on a transfer price, probably lower than what Maruti would write in their books if the car were to go out their door.
sramanat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 13:15   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyog26 View Post
The day is not far when a wannabe SUV from the Maruti-Suzuki stable like the S-presso shall be sold in the Indian market with a Toyota badge (by whatever name) and may be touted as a mini/micro Fortuner and I'm sure it shall sell well, coz
Found this meme in a Facebook car-related page :
Attached Thumbnails
Rebadged Maruti Ciaz to replace Toyota Yaris. EDIT : Named as Toyota Belta-lc-1.jpg  

maheshm619 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 14:28   #83
BHPian

Why is that the Rebadging is happening only one-way? Why is that Innova or Fortuner are not sold from Maruti's stable?

Last edited by gopalnt : 20th April 2021 at 14:28. Reason: Grammar
gopalnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 14:38   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
Why is that the Rebadging is happening only one-way? Why is that Innova or Fortuner are not sold from Maruti's stable?
The RAV-4 and Corolla(estate) are rebadged and sold under the Suzuki brand in Europe as the Across and Swace respectively.

As for the Fortuner and Innova, doubt there are many in India who would want to buy 'Marutis' for 40+ lakhs.
Nexusios1521 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 15:14   #85
BHPian

Wow! Its raining SOYOTAs. We enthusiasts were always waiting for global products from the global giant since eternity. Finally, the almighty has listened to our prayers and how! First blanza and then vurban bruiser, now celta and waiting eagerly for something called tertiga maybe. They have taken the modularity of a platform to a whole new level. Love these technological advancements shown by them with their world class technology and years of R&D. Just can't wait to see the competition between these two to build lighter bumpers and badges which will be a deciding factor in 'kitna deti hai' department. The domestic leader and the global leader are the only saving grace for us car lovers. Everything else in the market is just a joke.
Bhupi_BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 15:27   #86
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
I suppose the margins will be different on such sales. I think the sale to Toyota will be on a transfer price, probably lower than what Maruti would write in their books if the car were to go out their door.
Right. That means Maruti will also book a sale, right? I wish Maruti does more of these badge engineering stunts with Toyota, from a shareholder perspective
Old 20th April 2021, 16:35   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

We are a funny bunch, aren't we?

We want every car sold to be an enthusiast car. We want every company to make tight handling, powerful cars with 5* rating and price it cheap. We attribute "brand value" to companies like Toyota and Volkswagen when they are nothing but just regular budget car manufacturers worldwide. We want Japanese manufacturers to put some "effort" into winning the Indian market.

I want all those things too. But hey, the market doesn't give a crap about what we think or say.

Toyota and Maruti are laughing their way to the bank. Yes, Belta (or whatever hideous sounding name they give it) will sell well too.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 16:40   #88
Senior - BHPian

Belta is such a bad name!

If I ask my dad to consider a Belta, he might misunderstand and give me one with a belt.

With such collaborations, I wonder when Maruti will get access to Corolla and Crysta. A cheaper variant of them will be exciting.
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 16:49   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Belta is such a bad name!

If I ask my dad to consider a Belta, he might misunderstand and give me one with a belt.
Thank God that you didn't have to ask your dad to consider Skoda's ahem.

I don't mind the Toyota-Suzuki collab. If I want an MS car with Toyota's less crowded service experience, I would go for it.

What I do mind is the design looking almost the same. The Urban Cruiser front-end changes were a bit acceptable but definitely not of the Glanza.

Wish the Toyota get MS Ignis, Swift and DZire but with a CVT That would be something!
RavSam is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 17:23   #90
KPR
BANNED

I'm all smiles for this tie up. Who isn't happy in this tie up?
Every single party involved is happy. MS, Toyota, Toyota dealers and their sales, service personnel who are busy with jobs and salaries, customers,. I see many Fortuner, Innova owners are happy to buy rebadged cars as for them 3 ellipse logo matters. I expected S-Cross with some Toyota touch but may not happen.

Last edited by KPR : 20th April 2021 at 17:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks