Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2021, 18:13   #106
BHPian

re: Rebadged Maruti Ciaz to replace Toyota Yaris. EDIT : Named as Toyota Belta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
We never know how safe or unsafe yaris/ciaz are, until we get the Indian spec cars tested by Global NCAP. Until then calling Yaris the epitome of safety because it has 7 airbags is equal to calling a Ford Figo a safe car just because it has 6 airbags, when it barely managed 3 stars in the Global NCAP tests.
+1

The South African spec Yaris hatchback (which is based on the Yaris sedan that we get here.) Managed to score only 3 stars with an unstable body shell. Personally, I don't see any reason why Toyota would treat the Indian market any better.
Rebadged Maruti Ciaz to replace Toyota Yaris. EDIT : Named as Toyota Belta-screenshot_20210422180638_word.jpg
Sanidhya mukund is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:07   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
+1

The South African spec Yaris hatchback (which is based on the Yaris sedan that we get here.) Managed to score only 3 stars with an unstable body shell. Personally, I don't see any reason why Toyota would treat the Indian market any better.
Attachment 2147582
Man this is hard to see even Toyota scoring 3 stars.

Its true that we could not believe the crash safety either with brand, or with sheet metal or with other safety features.

Very hard to buy a proper safe car with out GNCAP tests
tirumalavoleti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 06:45   #108
Senior - BHPian

Rebadged Maruti Ciaz to replace Toyota Yaris, launch in coming months

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post

Food for thought.why did Toyota pick Baleno and Brezza for rebadging and not Swift/Dzire which could have provided them with more or less the same volume?

Disclaimer-Not a Toyota fan and neither am I on their payroll.

Do correct when if im wrong, but you seem to implying that the Baleno and the Brezza are better built and safer cars than the swift twins, and hence Toyota has cross badged these? Not so sure, the Baleno and the Swift actually share identical platforms and if im not wrong even the euro spec Baleno without its radar braking system scored only 3 stars. And the Indian spec Swift scored 2 stars. Again, we are not clear if the euro spec but made in India Baleno which was tested for euro ncap is the same as what the Indian market is getting. Chances are that they are not.

And Toyota is rebadging the Ciaz too, no one knows the safety rating of the Indian made Ciaz! The ASEAN NCAP rated the Ciaz as 4, but then again its not the made in India version.

Toyota has no such moral compass that it wants to rebadge only the safer cars from Maruti in India. They are lazy, not interested in the Indian market and just want to put the least effort possible. In my view, their agreement would have been as simple as that all Nexa cars can be rebadged.

Last edited by motorworks : 23rd April 2021 at 06:46.
motorworks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 07:11   #109
BHPian

Completely against the sentiment, but I for one, I'm happy about this.

Why? Because I've got a Yaris in my immediate family and use it regularly. I've never driven a more boring car, nor experienced a more boring ride in my life! Heck, my 7 year old City still is much better to drive! In fact, I just bought a Brezza for dad (4-AT petrol, ie same as Ciaz), and even that feels much better!

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 23rd April 2021 at 07:12. Reason: Punctuation
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 09:29   #110
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Why? Because I've got a Yaris in my immediate family and use it regularly. I've never driven a more boring car, nor experienced a more boring ride in my life! Heck, my 7 year old City still is much better to drive! In fact, I just bought a Brezza for dad (4-AT petrol, ie same as Ciaz), and even that feels much better!
Completely agree with you. We visited about a month back to see Yaris. There was a dark brown standing inside showroom. It was looking too good to our eyes in that dark colour. So another day we did an elaborate test drive. Self and my spouse tried a lot to make it work for us but the drive and the interior looks in day light were simply pathetic. In fact boring could also be an understatement. After that TD we came back home driving our Punto and understood what we have and what we looked at! I know I shouldn't compare dynamics of a Punto with Yaris. To put things clear even our neighbour's 20 year old M800 evokes interest to drive than this Yaris.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:53   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like this thread is gradually becoming a Yaris bashing thread, I am afraid I played a little part in that. Let's bring our focus back to Toyota belta.

Toyota selling glanza and urban cruiser is different, because they had no premium hatch or C-SUV in their portfolio. Toyota choosing to sell ciaz when they have their own C2 sedan tells us one thing. They believe Belta will bring them more business than the Yaris ever did. Belta will also be a boring car to drive, but atleast it has proved to be uber-comfortable and very spacious. Perhaps the only car that was able to dethrone the mighty Honda City for over an year at a stretch until 5th Gen was launched.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd April 2021 at 13:58.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 20:26   #112
BHPian

I bought a Ciaz recently. Regretted buying it thinking that the new generation Ciaz will launch in another year or two.
But now I'm happy. Toyota launching a 2014 product in 2021 just reassured me that the Ciaz isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 08:17   #113
BHPian

Had recently put an enquiry to our local Toyota showroom about a new Yaris just to check out the car for my parents. The SA got excited when he heard I drive an Abarth, told me that I would love the cars "driveability" �� I have already decided on another car, but I would take a TD after the lockdown just to see what he meant!
Old 16th May 2021, 10:28   #114
BHPian

Toyota is not launching re-branded Ciaz in India as per my information. It is only for export markets, probably Africa.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 11:31   #115
BHPian

I highly doubt that. Considering they already sell the Baleno and Vitara Brezza under their name, Toyota India will only be happier with more volumes.
Old 19th May 2021, 18:26   #116
BHPian

Seems the Maruyota with a transplanted face will be likely called as Belta.

Source: https://bit.ly/3tV37LC

Quote:
Japanese automaker, Toyota will soon introduce the re-badged version of the Ciaz sedan in the Indian market in the next few months. The new model is rumoured to be called the Toyota Belta. This name has been trademarked in the country. The Toyota’s Ciaz version could be offered as a replacement to the Yaris sedan, which has recently been phased out from the market.

The sedan is likely to retain most of the styling, except for the few minor changes. It is expected to get chromed ‘Toyota’ badge on the slightly revised grille, and new alloy wheels. The interior layout and features will also remain the same; however, it could get new colour scheme. The Belta will be offered with the same 1.5-litre 4-cylinder naturally-aspirated petrol engine that produces 104bhp and 138Nm of torque. Transmission choices will include a 5-speed manual and a 4-speed automatic.

Last edited by kpkeerthi : 19th May 2021 at 18:27.
kpkeerthi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:02   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Ciaz-based Toyota Belta to replace Yaris in India.

- With the continued success of Toyota Starlet and Urban Cruiser in S Africa, the Belta will not just be sold in India, but will also be exported to overseas .

Rebadged Maruti Ciaz to replace Toyota Yaris. EDIT : Named as Toyota Belta-1.jpg

- Production of the Toyota Yaris has been stopped
- Toyota will begin sale of rebadged Maruti Ciaz or Belta
- Toyota Belta will be sold in India with a 1.5-liter petrol engine.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th May 2021 at 17:05. Reason: With
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 20:20   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
Seems the Maruyota ..
Maruyota! man, you left me in splits.

I, for a split second thought that it might be a name of some Toyota/Suzuki Japanese associate.

On a serious note, what if Nissan/Renault would have thought this and borrowed a couple of cars from Maruti instead of bringing Micra/Pulse, etc. They would be in better position, I assume.

Do we have a timeline on when Maruti will get some benefits of this collaboration deal? Hybrid tech, etc. Till now, its Toyota all the way.
abhi_tjet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 08:52   #119
BHPian

I just hope that Indian customers punishes Toyota for this new ridiculous strategy.
I mean they have pushed it to a point where they aren’t even pretending to woo the Indian customer.
Why are they not bringing their international models is beyond me ! They’ve tasted success in SUVs and MUVs then why not be excited to bring their Crossovers to Indian customer base.
SShandilya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 10:31   #120
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
I just hope that Indian customers punishes Toyota for this new ridiculous strategy.
I mean they have pushed it to a point where they aren’t even pretending to woo the Indian customer.
Why are they not bringing their international models is beyond me ! They’ve tasted success in SUVs and MUVs then why not be excited to bring their Crossovers to Indian customer base.
Don't blame them. Blame them Indian Government and its ridiculous automotive taxation policies.

Just look at Toyota North America website and see the mouth watering models they have for sale there. Its not that they can't bring it in India but will have to undergo some slicing and dicing to 'fit' into Indian Government rules. 😆
LaRoca is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks