Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is your take on 2-spoke steering wheels?
Thumbs up - love them! 140 35.18%
Thumbs down - I prefer 3 or 4 spoke steerings 258 64.82%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 16:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels

2 spoke wheels may not be convenient to use as I am used to drive with hands at the bottom section of the steering on highway and the third spoke gives a proper hold and response feel.

The Skoda Kushaq has a notch but not a spoke so I think it depends from car to car. I would still vote for 3 spokes. More than that it will look ugly.
Old 18th April 2021, 17:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Here's what SKODA's Head of Interior Design - Architecture, Peter Olah has to say on the subject, explaining one of the ideas behind the current two-spoke ŠKODA steering wheel:-

Quote:
A whole series of factors have to be taken into account when designing steering wheels and trying to work out the best solution. Needless to say, parameters like the steering wheel’s diameter, the thickness of its ring and the number of spokes also play a role. When you’re turning a steering wheel, having as few spokes as possible is more convenient.
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-marwan_steeringwheelpresentation71.jpg

And to add, here's what Marwan Khiat, Interior project manager, says:-
Quote:
We’d long dreamt of a two-spoke steering wheel, and now our engineers have finally managed to create a sufficiently strong structure for it.
The steering is the interior’s centrepiece, in a way. It’s one of the few places we can put the company’s logo on, so for us it’s a hugely important element of the car’s identity.
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-octavia_11611920x1280.jpg

Quote:
The logic of the arrangement of these controls remained identical to the logic ŠKODA used in previous design versions, with the exception of the more distinctive rotational elements. The striking horizontal extension of these rotational controls ties in with the other interior lines. “We could have opted for touch-sensitive surfaces, for example, but for us it’s important to have controls with a tangible response,” Olah adds. In his view, that contributes to the outstanding ergonomics of the steering wheel. “Our customers want to get in the car and drive – they want everything to be intuitive,” Olah says, explaining why they didn’t change the design of the controls.
It took about three years for ŠKODA to develop the two-spoke steering wheel.

Source
JoshMachine is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 17:39   #18
BHPian

This is not a new thing. Erstwhile HM Ambys had it (don't know which model). Used to travel a lot in one of those back when I was a kid and I was really intrigued with this particular steering design. Still remember asking the driver uncle permission for sounding the horn! Voted Yes.

Picture source: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-p...nai-1336179182
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-images.jpeg  

Last edited by corvus corax : 18th April 2021 at 17:44.
corvus corax is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 18:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't vote, for the simple reason am kinda indifferent to it now.

As a teenager who loved fat 4 spoke steering wheels, it was plain horror to see everything from an economy car to the biggest sedans and SUVs getting 3 spoke steering wheels to project sportiness in the last 10-15 years. Maybe, the hatred for 3 spoke steering wheels started from seeing those old Mahindra steering wheels, also the ones on the old Santro, initial Swifts, lower variants of the Innova.

But then grew wiser and found that the steering rim thickness and contours played a far bigger role than the steering boss. Not to say, the steering feel was much important. Just a beautifully designed steering wheel doesn't mean it is good. Best example, our Etios steering wheel. Have to admit though, bought the Etios VXD over the sensible GD just for the steering wheel design.

Well designed, possibly deep dish designs get brownie points from me.

Example: The new steering wheel design of Mercedes, haven't used them yet, so no idea of the usability.

Just love this design, especially the layered double spokes. Though the capacitive controls looks like a nightmare to use. Guess available only on AMG models.
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-2021_mercedesamg_e63_74_1024x768.jpg

At the same time absolutely hate this design of the ordinary luxury variants. Hate waterfall themed curvy 3 spokes.
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-mercedesbenzsteeringwheeloem21024x683.jpg

So it all depends on designs. Not as if you are going to use the third spoke anyways. Even for lazy driving, your hands will rest on the base of the wheel, not on the spoke.

So yes, no problem with 2 spokes. Modern design like the Skodas, 80s/90s design like the Genesis's or retro look that the new Corvette aims for. Am all for it.

At the same time, atleast in pics. Am still batting for a fat ass 4 spoke steering wheel, especially comfy luxury models.

Last edited by DicKy : 18th April 2021 at 18:35.
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 18:50   #20
BHPian

The poll should have an 'indifferent' option too.

Spokes beyond 2 do not have any functional value hence an aesthetically good looking functional two spoke setup is no bad.
Thilak29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 19:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

I like both. It really depends on the type of car used.
It works well in sedans/low slungs. However in medium or large sized SUVs/interiors the 3 or 4 prong steering makes much more sense.
Old 18th April 2021, 21:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Didn't vote since it is not a factor for me. The only downside I see in terms of using a two spoke is that less folks will make the steering wheel straight while parking. With a three spoke one could at least physically be reminded that the third spoke needs to come in at 6 o' clock. With 2 spokes, the steering could be offset by 180 degree while parked. The four spoke seems to have been common in the late 90's and 2000's design trends with the recent years being more into three spokes.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 21:16   #23
BHPian

I'm very particular about small things like these and I would try my best for my car to have a three-spoke or four-spoke steering wheel.

Scenario: Everyone including me loves the cute Zen and it's pocket-rocket nature.
There is also a chance that I'll buy one in the future.
While I am a person who wants things like Steering wheels to be OEM and not of those cheap fake MOMO or Sparco branded steerings, the first thing I'll do to my future Zen will be to either source the old three-spoke from the older Zens, or from a Zen classic, or take the old Baleno's steering wheel, or buy an aftermarket steering with hub from outside.
Govardhansupra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 21:26   #24
BHPian

Voted for 3-4 spoke. Would certainly prefer 3 but don’t mind 4, if done tastefully like in my Ford Endeavour.
All in all, a lot depends on car. I loved 2 spoke leather steering wheel on my zen more than 3 spoke on Santro. I think a small car looks good in 2 spoke or rather 2 spoke for bigger cars like Mercedes and Skoda is strict no no.
Old 18th April 2021, 21:45   #25
BHPian

As a small kid, I really loved the Amby's steering wheel design. I am yet to meet a person who didn't like the implementation of that chrome horn ring on that steering wheel. It all came together pretty nicely. The later Amby ditched that design while retaining the 2 spoke treatment but the horn ring gave in to the buttons, a la Maruti 800 style. That design was such a complete dud and just didn't come together with the overall theme of the car.

There are 3 spoke steering wheels which look horrible and then there are those classic 2 spoke steering wheel designs which are a thing of beauty. It all lies in the design, it's implementation, and how it ties in with the rest of the interior and the overall design of the car. Also, while some design don't really look all that great in pictures, they are quite a revelation in reality. As they say, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Last edited by Herschey : 18th April 2021 at 21:46.
Old 18th April 2021, 22:30   #26
BHPian

Well it seems 2 spoke steering wheels are making a comeback in a premium avatar. Anyways for now i'm not a fan of them till they are done right, like for me the skoda 2 spoke wheels with that notch at bottom looks like some one has chopped the third spoke smartly and hidden it somewhere. I still like the classy 3 spoke wheels with flat bottom. Also would like to add that i never liked the 4 spoke steering wheels from the Toyotas, they always looked ugly to me. But maybe five years down if the manufacturers keep on improvising and updating the 2 spoke wheels then who knows they might become my favourites.
Old 18th April 2021, 22:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, then, what would you have thought of the Citroen ds wheel?
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-earlydsinterior.jpg
One spoke! I think Citroen still perseveres with single spoke in some current cars .

Or the Maserati boomerang. No Spokes!

Last edited by mayankk : 18th April 2021 at 22:47.
mayankk is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 02:01   #28
BHPian

Not much choice for me. I have to do with my 4-spoke wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-015d6c25250b4f80a017a37021dfdd24.jpeg  

Indian2003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 08:19   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

3 spokes does it for me. It feels natural and just right. Spinning a 2 spoke would feel very weird if my hand goes below the horn pad and there's nothing there. But yeah, just 3 spoke.

I didn't like the 4 spoke 'chunky munky' wheels 2000's Skoda and Mercedes had as well.
Old 19th April 2021, 08:28   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't like the look of 2-spoke steering wheels at all, right from the Maruti Zen days. I think Mercedes tried to go a bit retro with the W222, and then as always, a couple of other brands followed the S-Class.

To my eyes, a 2-spoke steering wheel looks sort of incomplete. My favourites are 3-spokes, followed by 4-spokes.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks