Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you consider buying high GC/AWD sedan?
Yes 273 67.57%
No 131 32.43%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2021, 15:52   #31
KPR
BANNED

Re: High ground clearance sedans | Would you buy one?

Voted big yes. I don't need a SUV or a pseudo SUV if GC is taken care of. The ride quality is simply excellent even with raised GC in a Linea. Not to forget the thick engine protection plate that fiat gave to Punto and Linea in case bottom scrapes despite this high GC.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 16:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Current sedans are not as low slung as older ones. The current gen City looks taller than Gen 1 we had in India and I believe also has higher seating position. Even the hatchbacks for that matter are taller and don't give you the feel of say a Zen did back in 90's.
Despite the higher GC S60 cross country or a Linea would handle better than say a XC60 or Creta. Yes the core strength of sedan will be compromised, but then so have Crossover. When the SUV's can be made more car like to please sedan lovers, I don't see why things cant go other way round.

For a manufacturer this might be a risk proposition, but given the response to poll here, can be a game changer and help revive ever declining sedan market share.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 16:44   #33
BHPian

Voted Yes, driving a sedan with low GC is not an issue in any kind of road, a good driver can easily tackle any road, but the headache now a days are the humongous speed breakers, built even on NH. Seems like people have understood that people with high GC SUV's (31% market share) will fly over the traditional speed breakers, so they have adapted and modified the design of speed breakers keeping in mind the ground clearance offered by SUV's. GC offered by SUV's is the benchmark now, who cares for low slung sedans(10% market share).

We know people buy sedan for low GC and better handling, but if a manufacturer wishes, he can throw a good looking sedan with 10-15mm extra GC plus a sorted ride and handling by tweaking the suspension and other mechanical aspects, and obviously not ruining the overall stance of the car. Any day I will accept that extra 10-15mm of ground clearance, considering that a sedan will ride and handle better even with the extra added GC, and there is no chance that we are going to get highways n expressways with proper speed breakers in near future. Bad roads is never an issue.
any23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 16:55   #34
BHPian

This particular volvo looks good but in general no. I hated the SX4 for how it looks like an Ambassador. The Scross looks and I guess even drives much better.
Old 20th April 2021, 17:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Question to sedan fellows - What really are you giving up with a crossover? They all are made the same way for the most part. Looks?
Old 20th April 2021, 18:17   #36
BHPian

As an owner of a Tata Zest, I can definitely vouch for High GC sedans. Though the zest isn't exactly a proper sedan, over speed breakers one doesn't have to fret about scraping the under-body.
__.gxr.__ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:15   #37
BHPian

Voted Yes! I would certainly consider a slight higher GC on a sedan then buy a SCSUV at that price point. A sedan offers more space, comfort, boot capacity and better handling but just doesn’t seem practical on our roads.
Old 20th April 2021, 20:21   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Question to sedan fellows - What really are you giving up with a crossover? They all are made the same way for the most part. Looks?
Personally for me I consider the price point vs offering. A new Honda City / Verna can set you back by about 17L in Mumbai offering a sizeable boot, premium features, space and better handling. I’d have to spend north of 19-20L to look at a similar offering in the CSUV space (Creta, Seltos etc) or compromise by settling for a SC-SUV (Sonet, Nexon etc). Give me a slightly raised City with a coupe like styling and I’m putting my money down on it right now.
throttlehead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:59   #39
BHPian

Ideally, for best dynamics, low centre of gravity helps and sedans are meant to be good handlers. But in a country like ours, where there are speed brakers all around you except in your house( there better speed breaker lie&#128522 and pot holes or even gutter holes may be hiding next turn to attack you, it makes sense to compromise just a little bit and have a car with a raised ground clearance. So my answer is Yes.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 22:48   #40
BHPian

I find SUV's to be more rugged than sedans. But yes it would be dream come true to have a sedan with air suspension, which we can raise or lower as per our needs.
Sedans are inherently more comfortable to most of the people I know, but I prefer the upright and high seating of an SUV.
Old 21st April 2021, 00:05   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted YES!

Don't need anything super high like the Volvo S60/V90 CC, but something that offers comfortable seating (good ingress/egress, but not a step up like most Crossovers / SUVs) and which can tackle speed breakers scrape free with a full load.

Unfortunately, lack of options have had us exploring Low SUVs / Crossovers in the past and with even fewer options today, probably in the future as well.

The better ride quality, fuel economy, handling, performance, and price just make it worth it over a crossover / SUV just because the roads are in poor shape.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 00:24   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Depends.

For a Hyundai Verna, looks, primarily.

For a Honda City? The 1.5 VTec and the space.

For a Rapid/Vento? The handling.

For a Ciaz? The interiors and the space. Seriously, women love the interiors of the Ciaz. I know of plenty of stories where wives and girlfriends have just had one glance at the interior of the Ciaz and been instantly sold.

My ideal car would have the looks of the Verna, The chassis and build of the Rapid, the Honda City's engine, the interiors of the Ciaz (including that very divisive faux walnut wood finish), and the space of either the new City or the Ciaz, both of which score a tie, IMHO.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st April 2021 at 07:28. Reason: Typos, spacing, punctuation, etc.
turbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 00:52   #43
BHPian

Well there exists a segment of car called SUVs for a reason! Why it's called Sports Utility Vehicle no one knows! The SUVs are rugged platforms vehicles capable of traversing in difficult terrains. May be this was the sport they were talking about.
Having a Sedan with higher GC, say about 210mm practically kills everything a Sedan stands by. The low slung slick ride with more grip one the road all are attributed to low center of gravity making handling much more better. Raising GC means raising Center of Gravity thus poor handling.
Given the craze for SUVs now, A Sedan with SUV feature are more possible. But a three box Design in a SUV kills the purpose of SUV being one! SUVs have more upright seating position as compared to low slung Sedan seats. Getting in a low slung car is tricky but imagine climbing a step to strap in a bucket seat would be even more cumbersome! The driving dynamics would completely change. SUVs have the commanding seating position which would be killed by bucket seats! Higher GC implies you need the vehicle to have better approach and departure angles. With Sedan like design, I doubt about those. Welll there is a possibility, but I doubt it's success.

Coming to the AWD part, they already exist! We don't have much in india and none in the mass affordable market. But a combination of those two would very much make it a SUV than a Sedan
Old 21st April 2021, 01:07   #44
One
BHPian

Just checked the ground clearance (GC) of the S Cross. Basically an increase of upto 15 mm to existing sedans and we reach SCross territory which does really well in most city speed breakers without losing out on any Sedan-like behaviour.

Will happily pick such a sedan with tweaked mechanicals to accommodate the slightly higher GC.
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 01:59   #45
BHPian

Voted Yes as I am a proud owner of S60 Cross Country Sedan which looks menacing and had the go to match the show.

For those complaining about such sedans just have to remind themselves of the WRC with those beautiful Rally cars carrying mad speed through country dirt tracks. Am sure it won't be as much fun in an SUV or dare try that in a regular Sedan.

There has never been such a focussed Sedan such as the S60 CC which makes a lot of sense for ppl who like their Sedan silhouette but just enough GC not to worry about speed breakers and Rain infested potholed roads.

And more importantly an integrated AWD system to take the car to places where regular sedans can only dream of.

It's the only Sedan I don't think twice taking it to rough terrains or the usual farm house trip.

You are never too old to relive your dream of driving like Colin Mc Rae.
Flash777 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks