Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you consider buying high GC/AWD sedan?
Yes 273 67.57%
No 131 32.43%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:41   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: High ground clearance sedans | Would you buy one?

Voted Yes.

Cross-overs may have a combination of factors, But what if I like a particular car that has a higher GC, over a cross-over ?

Regarding the better handling of lower GC sedans: my driving is steady, and I dont normally fly or carve corners. I think a higher GC sedan can actually help in certain situations.

So a lot does depend on the car itself, but will not reject it because it doesnot look as sleek as a regular GC sedan.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 20:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

In general its a NO for me considering the regular mass market sedans at least. But I would love have a a properly designed high GC sedans like Volvo S60 Cross Country for sure.

In Indian market context I would rather choose an properly designed Crossover/SUV itself which better suits our city roads which in itself is equivalent to bad roads.
The same is reflecting in the sales numbers as well in the Indian market these days with the sales numbers of mini SUV/Crossovers Sonet or Venue, Magnite beating most of the Hatchbacks or Sedans.
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:32   #78
BHPian

Voted for a NO without a speck of doubt. For me a sedan is a low slung car with good handling. Also, it is interesting to note that the Civic (which is regarded as a low slung car GC 171 mm) and SX4 (GC 170 mm) has the same ground clearance. Civics scrape their bellies due to the longer wheel base. For reference Mahindra Scorpio has a GC of 180 mm and Innova 176 mm.

I once did a Mumbai - Goa - Mangalore - Kerala in a Civic and the car didn't scrape the belly even once in the entire trip ( we were 3 with a lot of luggage) and GC was never a concern.
If I want a high GC vehicle I ll buy an SUV or MUV.
Old 23rd April 2021, 23:43   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
Voted for a NO without a speck of doubt. For me a sedan is a low slung car with good handling. Also, it is interesting to note that the Civic (which is regarded as a low slung car GC 171 mm) and SX4 (GC 170 mm) has the same ground clearance. Civics scrape their bellies due to the longer wheel base. For reference Mahindra Scorpio has a GC of 180 mm and Innova 176 mm.

I once did a Mumbai - Goa - Mangalore - Kerala in a Civic and the car didn't scrape the belly even once in the entire trip ( we were 3 with a lot of luggage) and GC was never a concern.
If I want a high GC vehicle I ll buy an SUV or MUV.
This thing about the 180mm ground clearance or Scorpio and 176mm of Innova is very interesting, I once was sitting inside a test drive BRV demo vehicle driven by my wife and as we went past a Scorpio parked on the side of the road the salesman pointed towards the Scorpio and said this BRV ma'am has higher ground clearance than that.

My wife was very amused (It happens to be her own Scorpio) , she asked me if that was true and I said yes this gentleman is right!! The test drive was on behalf of someone else and BRV did not get selected on the end.

Anyhow you don't look at numbers like this and compare a Civic with an Innova or Scorpio - body on frame utility vehicles are built differently from a unibody, they have their purpose.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 01:36   #80
BHPian

Being new to the forum, I don't think I can vote on this, but my response would have been "No'.

My husband is a Sedan guy, and he loves the low slung dynamics of a tarmac hugging vehicle. I on the other hand am an SUV girl, and I adore what the Thar can do for me with or without any tarmac.

I wouldn't mix the two, a Sedan with high clearance, or an SUV with low clearance would just look odd in proportions.

There is a reason they are designed in that way, it's like wondering if iOS would run well on the Nokia 1100. Both very different and serve different purposes.

Thanks,
Kaur
KaurDiCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 12:16   #81
BHPian

An old thread but lot of information nonetheless.

I have always been a sedan fan. The comfort on offer, the interior space and huge bootspace are huge positives of sedans. Also minimal body roll on corners and high speed stability are definitely add ons.

But because of preference changes and below quality roads and speed breakers by contractors, SUVs started selling a lot more than sedans.

So the question is which sedan in the Indian market has the highest ground clearance today. A sedan lover will absolutely love it.
Old 25th October 2021, 13:06   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
. I think the real missing out there could be a sedan based on a SUV , like the beast (truck chassis !) & only a very few on the planet knows how it handles/drives on road !
Done and dusted. The old American full size sedans were BoF. Last of the breed was the Crown Victoria which was made till 2011.

The Beast reminds me of the time when it got beached at a gate somewhere in Germany. Obama regime
Old 25th October 2021, 21:06   #83

I would've voted yes if allowed.

I bought a Honda City 2006 (dolphin) model earlier this year, and the main pain point was underbody scraping during full load in speed-breakers.

It also happens when there are just two people in some awkwardly laid speed breakers. And we can't employ the angle approach when bikes are flying around you.

After much deliberation finally got coil spring buffers installed in the rear last weekend. I will have to check if things improve in the coming days.
Old 25th October 2021, 22:44   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I'm from Bangalore, so voted yes. I'm sure 90% people from Bangalore would vote yes. Remaining 10% people will think for couple of seconds and then vote yes!
I noticed on this forum that almost all Bangaloreans are saying that Bangalore roads are very bad. Is it true?
Thankfully Delhi Roads are almost in excellent condition with only exception being in Industrial areas and during heavy monsoon.
Also there are very rare speed-breakers in Delhi. I think they are banned by law in Delhi. Even if there are speed-breakers they have been designed well unlike those steep ones 10 to 15 years back.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 25th October 2021 at 22:46.
Old 25th October 2021, 23:34   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I noticed on this forum that almost all Bangaloreans are saying that Bangalore roads are very bad. Is it true?
Thankfully Delhi Roads are almost in excellent condition with only exception being in Industrial areas and during heavy monsoon.
Also there are very rare speed-breakers in Delhi. I think they are banned by law in Delhi. Even if there are speed-breakers they have been designed well unlike those steep ones 10 to 15 years back.
From last couple of years I am happy if I see tarred roads inside main city areas. BBMP has taken a mission to dug up all roads
sunikkat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 01:01   #86
BHPian

Voted Yes

In India, the underbelly scraping of Sedans is an issue due to potholes/unnatural speedbreakers. I would love to increase the GC of my city by 5 mm to avoid them.
Old 31st October 2021, 09:05   #87
Senior - BHPian

Votes Yes.
Just as people buy high ground clearance hatchba... I mean Mini-SUVs.
Old 31st October 2021, 09:16   #88
BHPian

Voted Yes. I am ok with increased GC as long as we don't the sedan characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
I would love to increase the GC of my city by 5 mm to avoid them.
5mm increase in GC can be achieved by upgrading the tyres without changing the rims. Yaris underbelly does not scrap a lot. However, when I upgrade my tyres in future from 185/60/R15 to 195/60/R15, the GC will increase by 6mm. You can check the city tyre upgrade thread for appropriate tyre size upgrade which also increases GC.
Old 1st November 2021, 00:08   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Voted Yes. I am ok with increased GC as long as we don't the sedan characteristics.

5mm increase in GC can be achieved by upgrading the tyres without changing the rims. Yaris underbelly does not scrap a lot. However, when I upgrade my tyres in future from 185/60/R15 to 195/60/R15, the GC will increase by 6mm. You can check the city tyre upgrade thread for appropriate tyre size upgrade which also increases GC.
I already use 195/60/R15 in my City. Still it scrapes on unnatural speed breakers. Unfortunately one of them is just outside my gate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks