Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2022, 21:42   #151
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I don't think they have anything to learn from Renault, the humble Omni used to come in an 8 seater, it was quite comfy as well.

In general there is an expectation for Thar to be a Jeep which means the bonnet has to be long, people sit nearer to the rear axle than front. Engine has to be pushed towards the cabin etc. means space inside will be less, which is expected.
Omni is comfy? Seriously? My knees touch my chin almost when I sit inside Omni. I will never consider Omni for space management. Check out Triber which is under 4 meter for a 7 seater.

Btw, I should have mentioned JL 5 door as my daily driver and I want M&M to emulate what Jeep has done with JL. Especially, considering the external dimensions (that too with smaller engines, JL has a 2 lit Turbo to V6 and what not up to that monster of an engine).

Even the 2 door JL has good space for driver and I am not even talking about the rear seat. With Thar, the space for the driver/co passenger, driver footwell, rear ingress, rear seat space (passenger arms so close to with wheel arch) etc. is a mess. Feel under-finished. It is a missed opportunity for M&M. I seriously want them to come up with a 5 door Thar fixing all these issues. They can not fix this in Thar 2 door anymore and that is why it is a missed opportunity. Even for a pure off road focused buyer this is going to be an issue to live with everyday and for me personally, I can not adjust to comfort on day to day basis. I am medium built at 5.11 at 78 kgs and I complain and imagine people who are bulkier/taller. It is going to be a ergo-nightmare. This was not the case with the old Thar and some one will adjust with its minuses with that price and purpose. 2nd gen Thar has so much potential and I wish M&M fix these and really succeed. Also, I wish (wish!) they launch the Thar globally somehow (winning all the legal battles) and show the world what an Indian engineering can do with such a limited budget!

Last edited by sgmuser : 20th August 2022 at 21:43. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 10:00   #152
BHPian

I am really looking forward to the 5 door Thar as well as the 5 door Jimny . the reason i am considering the Jimny is the really bad ride quality on the Thar as well as QC issues . However the charm of the 5 door Thar to be modded as a low cost wrangler is way too much .
Old 21st August 2022, 12:51   #153
BHPian

There is no justification for another 5 door Thar from Mahindra with the same engine.

If I were in their product development team, I would push for a three door Mahindra Thar with the same 130 PS engine and the five door Mahindra Thar with the 153 PS diesel engine which is currently powering the lower variants of XUV 700.at an Ex showroom price of Rs 2.25 lacs premium over corresponding variants of the 3 door Thar. The petrol 5 door car can come with the same engine for a Rs 1.5 lakh premium.

The other more market friendly option is to down size the engine of 3 door 2WD Thar to 1.5 liter diesel and 1.2 liter Turbo petrol, claim the sub 4meter benefits to price the vehicle Rs 2 lacs lower than current prices, variant for variant. This will fill the void left by the axeing of the TUV300. Several urban buyers who don't want the Bolero nameplate but don't really need a 4WD, will lap this up. The automatic and 4 WD variants of the 3 door Thar can continue with the same engine& gearbox combo with the same sticker price. By doing this, Mahindra can launch the 5 door Thar with the same engine+gearbox combo for Rs 1 lakh premium.

4-5 years down the line, during a mid life cycle facelift, the 5 door Thar can be upgraded to a 175 PS engine. Not now. If done now, it will kill both the Thar 3 seater as well as the Scorpio N.

Last edited by Geta : 21st August 2022 at 12:52.
Geta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 17:50   #154
BHPian

Boy oh boy!

Now I am again in a conundrum. I had planned to get XUV700 after scorpio disappointed in terms of space utilisation and look. But now I think I would hold it off again and wait to see more of this 5 door thar. The looks if retained same as thar is definitely a killer.

Also, I think Mahindra should put this on par with ScorpioN because they cater to different users but definitely serve kind of same purpose. Maybe this is the cheap Jeep Wrangler Indian audience needs. I just hope the driving dynamics are bettered compared to Thar. If everything is same as scorpioN, then things look good to me.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st August 2022 at 18:36. Reason: Upper case letters, where needed.
n13tzsche is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 20:51   #155
BHPian

I currently own the Thar D AT but because of requirement of 5 door car, was looking forward to the Scorpio-N. Although this time, could only afford the Z4 D AT so compromise made on 4x4. Not that I use 4x4 everyday but it does give the confidence to take roads which I won't even dare taking on a normal 4x2 car.

Now, with the Thar 5 door test mule video, I am confused.
Should I get the ScorpioN (got introductory price) or cancel the booking and continue with my 3 door Thar. And eventually get the Thar 5 door?

Worth the wait till October 2023 for the Thar 5 door over the ScorpioN?

Last edited by dr_TJ : 21st August 2022 at 20:52.
Old 21st August 2022, 21:24   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
There is no justification for another 5 door Thar from Mahindra with the same engine.

If I were in their product development team, I would push for a three door Mahindra Thar with the same 130 PS engine and the five door Mahindra Thar with the 153 PS diesel engine which is currently powering the lower variants of XUV 700.at an Ex showroom price of Rs 2.25 lacs premium over corresponding variants of the 3 door Thar. The petrol 5 door car can come with the same engine for a Rs 1.5 lakh premium.

They could just go all out and plonk the 185ps engine of the xuv700 in the new 5 door thar. They held off on giving this tune in the scorpio-N for a reason. The 3 door is pushing 20l on road already and the scorpio-N has no shortage of bookings even with the 30l+ onroad price and the rear seats being an afterthought. Might as well bank on the premium the Thar name commands as well as provide more feature comforts and make it their new flagship.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 22:40   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
They could just go all out and plonk the 185ps engine of the xuv700 in the new 5 door thar. They held off on giving this tune in the scorpio-N for a reason. The 3 door is pushing 20l on road already and the scorpio-N has no shortage of bookings even with the 30l+ onroad price and the rear seats being an afterthought. Might as well bank on the premium the Thar name commands as well as provide more feature comforts and make it their new flagship.
That would be even better from a product differentiation perspective, a 185 PS AT 4WD with a length of under 4.25 metres (Thar is 3.98 metres. From the leaked pics the 5 door version has rear doors of just about 1 foot length and the front doors have lost a couple of inches) will definitely be an enthusiast's delight and can be priced at Rs 4-5 lac premium (on road) over the 3 door Thar, thereby both products can co-exist, and existing owners will not feel cheated. But not sure about high speed stability of such a model. Experts can throw some light.

Moreover, with premium positioning, such a product will need a new brand name and new design language, which I doubt is happening currently as the tail lamps are exactly the same as 3 door Thar.

Last edited by Geta : 21st August 2022 at 22:43.
Old 22nd August 2022, 18:28   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
5-Door Thar spotted for the first time, undergoing testing.

A 4th blockbuster in the making? Only time will tell!
On a very light note, what if this turns out to be a render by some enthusiastic designers, taking cues from the test mules of original Thar 2.0? Just kidding.
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:17   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Wow! That’s quite a strong statement and quite wrong too! I am using a Thar softop and it’s my only car. My wife (a month old new driver now) and myself use it from vegetable shopping to divider climbing to mall hopping! My wife takes it too her office too atleast 3 days a week.
The way this off-roader manages to go over everything Hyderabad roads throws at it- bad speedbreakers, under construction roads and sites, massive craters, water logged roads, hills, unscientific mall parking humps - it’s just mind blowing. Heck when other cars are stuck or slowing on roads, Thar simply flies over them in 2wd mode!

I was using my father’s Elantra in lucknow - Thar makes that car pretty useless for city because of its bad ground clearance and low seating.
I feel Thar is a perfect city car with a good rear seating too - rear seats recline to great angles and legroom too is pretty good. Love the softop, I make it a point to make it topless atleast once in 10 days
Now - old age people or families using rear seat very often may definitely be put off by its poor harsh rear ride and absence of rear doors. It has its tantrums too when it comes to reliability - my car has seen 4 workshop visits in less than 3 months for an issue

For 2 people family like mine with occasional rear usage - just the perfect city car !
Have already put 6000 km in less than 3 months
You have beaten me to it (I meant for the reply ). My only other vehicle was Alto K10 which has been retired now and sold in March 2022. I became a proud owner of Thar Petrol (Hard top and manual) in Feb this year only. Since 3rd Feb, I have driven this Jeep for over 12000 kms. Did a almost non-trip from Chandigarh to Bangalore in under 46 hours. With Family (Wife and a 5 year old Daughter), did a non-stop drive from Manali to Chandigarh and they were sleeping for almost 6 hours. Have also done 150 to 200 kms of journey with my parents who are in their late 60's and they were also sitting at the back. It does take good beating, especially some really bad terrain in Himachal and then we all know about Bengaluru roads.

Plus it is my daily driver for dropping kiddo to the school and then getting her back. Driving in heavy traffic with light clutch and gearbox is so helpful. The collective drive that my Wife and I do are around 25kms to 30 kms.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:36   #160

This is gonna be great if the pricing is just right. A lot of people who couldnt buy a thar because of the rear seat are probably gonna get the 5 door one.
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:48   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I currently own the Thar D AT but because of requirement of 5 door car, was looking forward to the Scorpio-N. Although this time, could only afford the Z4 D AT so compromise made on 4x4. Not that I use 4x4 everyday but it does give the confidence to take roads which I won't even dare taking on a normal 4x2 car.

Now, with the Thar 5 door test mule video, I am confused.
Should I get the ScorpioN (got introductory price) or cancel the booking and continue with my 3 door Thar. And eventually get the Thar 5 door?

Worth the wait till October 2023 for the Thar 5 door over the ScorpioN?
If you can, please wait for the 5 Door Thar and here are my reasons.

1. Better suspension than the current one, this is being rumored.
2. Power powerful engines, though the current ones aren't slouch either.
3. Thar 5 Door may have 6 Airbags.
4. More Boot space. Length is again rumored to be 4300mm.

Plus is will carry the current +ve's that it had.

I cancelled my booking for Scorpio and was going for it because of 2 reasons only. First one is 5 Door and second is the Boot space.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:25   #162
Senior - BHPian

New Mahindra Thar 5 Door front spied, on test with current Thar.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20220823_192402.jpg

Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 12:21   #163
BHPian

Another video of 5 Door Thar

Link: https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChxIY...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot_2022082812162978_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg
LokiPilaniya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 19:39   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

5-door Mahindra Thar spotted with new Penta-link rear suspension from Scorpio N.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:33   #165
BHPian

5 door Thar continues testing. Finally gets the grab handle. Rear discs are not to be seen for now. Alloys seem to be of a different pattern.

Source: Powerdrift IG handle
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-28bd642d857c413d9a6a2f8c4986accc.jpeg
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks