Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2022, 23:40   #181
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
Have those beeps above 80 stopped anybody ? New thar has considerable body roll and extremely poor braking which doesn't instill confidence on high speed runs but is truly exceptional off road .
I did test drive Thar for 30 minutes and it was a Petrol Auto. I remember there was a setting in the AV unit to manage these if my memory isn't playing with me. Not sure whether it's possible to completely stop but atleast some settings are there.
Old 4th November 2022, 00:14   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new Thar desperately needs better suspension and disc brakes at the rear. I have driven the new Thar and it feels scary to drive above 70kmph even on a highway.
Are you sure you are talking about the new Thar and not the old one? I drive a new Thar with stock suspension and it is nowhere as bad as you make it to be. I've had no issues cruising at triple-digit speeds. Of course, one needs to treat it like a truck and not expect a sedan-like handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I did test drive Thar for 30 minutes and it was a Petrol Auto. I remember there was a setting in the AV unit to manage these if my memory isn't playing with me. Not sure whether it's possible to completely stop but atleast some settings are there.
It cannot be disabled through the settings nor I am aware of any tuner that has managed to disable it.

Last edited by Jaguar : 4th November 2022 at 00:16.
Jaguar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 04:33   #183
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The design of Thar is to be a fast Jeep, I
Incase you are buying one, please do not mess with the suspension or even tyres, keep everything as close to original as possible especially if you are a fast driver, those things are going to help save your day.

Case in point is the stock headlights and the ceat czar tyres, the way it handled the Mysore to Bangalore direction of the latest swimming pool the idiots have

Pretty soon the speed warning alert will be in continuous mode , have fun and drive safe.
I agree with some of what you say but differ in the following points as a Thar P AT HT owner since 2021Feb.

1. Suspension. AVO Suspension is far superior to stock. Ive been using it more than a year. It seriously improves handling and comfort.
2. While the CEAT Czar tyres are perfectly good, if the vehicle is mostly meant for highways, it is worth considering a tyre upgrade and a slight upsize.
3. LED Headlamps are absolutely useless in mist and fog and driving rain. They do not illuminate sufficiently. Consider a simple straight swap of the stock headlamps to Philips Extreme Vision G Force H4 Halogens or Osram night-breakers. These are phenomenal.

Please check my various posts on these above subjects along with the pictures I have placed, before you make your final decisions.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 07:06   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Are you sure you are talking about the new Thar and not the old one? I drive a new Thar with stock suspension and it is nowhere as bad as you make it to be. I've had no issues cruising at triple-digit speeds. Of course, one needs to treat it like a truck and not expect a sedan-like handling.
I understand the fact that daily driving a sedan i have little to no experience driving a literal truck like new Thar . I recently drove a new Thar (Diesel AT) with upgraded aftermarket suspension (likely the same you have mentioned above) & its something else to drive . But the brakes still leave a lot to be desired .
Old 5th November 2022, 09:25   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The new Thar desperately needs better suspension and disc brakes at the rear.
Having used the Petrol AT Thar extensively, I concur with your assessment. The rear is bumpy and if you take a high speed curve on undulating road surfaces it does get scary. I feel it has to do with the limited space available to at the rear to package a proper suspension without eating into the cabin area. But nevertheless it is a fun suv to own/drive. Yes, it is a compromise in many ways, but do we really have an alternative in India?
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:04   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door SUV:

Quote:
Five-door Thar’s rear end gets only minor differences from the three-door version.

Unlikely to get a soft top option, but a plastic hard top with removable panels could be offered.

Expected to get retuned versions of the existing Thar’s 2-litre petrol and 2.2-litre diesel engines with manual and automatic options.

Launch expected in early 2023.
Name:  636b7b0dafc07_720x540.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  636b7aa46f3b9_720x540.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  636b7b25c84bc_720x540.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  1927170735zwmahindrathar5door_720x540_720x540.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  94.6 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th November 2022 at 16:05.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:30   #187
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door SUV: Unlikely to get a soft top option, but a plastic hard top with removable panels could be offered.

Expected to get retuned versions of the existing Thar’s 2-litre petrol and 2.2-litre diesel engines with manual and automatic options.
:
1. Soft top will not be a practical option for a 5 door Thar so thats a good call.
2. A hardtop with removable panels will be superb ; like the Jeep’s Freedom Top or BesTop’s efforts. I just wish they would offer this as a paid factory retro-fit upgrade to the 3 door Thar as well.
3. Any idea what sort of power these re-tuned engines will put out?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:51   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
1. Soft top will not be a practical option for a 5 door Thar so thats a good call.
2. A hardtop with removable panels will be superb ; like the Jeep’s Freedom Top or BesTop’s efforts. I just wish they would offer this as a paid factory retro-fit upgrade to the 3 door Thar as well.
3. Any idea what sort of power these re-tuned engines will put out?
Dada, as of now I can only answer the last question. My Birdie told me that the power will be retuned. Its is not going to be the same tune as being sold with 3 Door. I do not agree with him because we have seen with Thar, ScorpioN and XUV700 that Mahindra did not hold back the Engines or detune them.

He is also expecting the price to be 2.5L to 3.5L more than what the current versions are for, though introductory prices will be in place too. His logic was -

Petrol mstallion is in 2 states with Mahindra right now, one is common both for XUV700 and ScorpioN, which is 200 BHP.
Diesel mHawk is in 186 Bhp state only. He is not sure that Mahindra will have a separate state of tune for 5 Door Thar.
Classic Scorpio has a different tune of the same Engine.
Thar Petrol and Thar Diesel also have different tune of the same mHawk and mStallion Engines.

XUV 700 has 4695mm Length, 1890mm Width, 1755mm Height, 1960-2040 Kg Kerb Weight, 2750 mm Wheelbase.
ScorpioN has 4,662mm length, 1917 mm Width, 1857mm Height, 2510 Kg is the Gross Weight, same wheelbase as that of XUV.

I have been searching a lot to find any details related to the above for 5 Door Thar, only rumour I came across was that it will be 4300mm in length.

If you recall from the Official statement via Mahindra, it will share the same Wheelbase as that of ScorpioN. If that holds true, we will or might get the same tune of Engine as that of ScorpioN and XUV700.

Last edited by swunkjyn : 9th November 2022 at 16:56.
swunkjyn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 10:08   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
I have been searching a lot to find any details related to the above for 5 Door Thar, only rumour I came across was that it will be 4300mm in length.

If you recall from the Official statement via Mahindra, it will share the same Wheelbase as that of ScorpioN. If that holds true, we will or might get the same tune of Engine as that of ScorpioN and XUV700.
A more powerful diesel and petrol engine is always welcome and also the confirmation for the length increase too. However can you confirm if the 5 door Thar will be equipped with rear disc brakes as well ?
drift2race is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 15:53   #190

Late to the party but here's some more pictures from top

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20221111_081236.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20221111_081242.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20221111_081249.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20221111_081252.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20221111_081259.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2022 at 21:48. Reason: Watermarks added
ruhtam is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 19:24   #191
BHPian

Do we know why the roof behind the second row is taller than the rest of the car?. Compared to Wrangler, that part looks odd. Any ideas?
Old 18th November 2022, 17:36   #192
BHPian

Unpopular opinion (or may be not!): With the 5 door version, I feel the Thar looks like a wider Armada! Is Mahindra overkilling the otherwise good looking car?
ganeshsp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 17:42   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshsp View Post
Unpopular opinion (or may be not!): With the 5 door version, I feel the Thar looks like a wider Armada! Is Mahindra overkilling the otherwise good looking car?
I for one have the opposite opinion. I feel the current Thar is wider and its length is comparatively shorter. Whereas 5-door looks to be more proportionate. In fact I always find Thar CRDE to be more balanced in terms of dimensions. But then again I could be biased as I have a CRDE and am waiting for 5-door.
ralto is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 19:45   #194
BHPian

This could be a great budget alternative to the Scorpio-N but most likely and as expected, the prices will play spoilsport.
OT:
Now my mom can actually accept the Thar!
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 19:56   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhtam View Post
Doesn't look half as bad as I thought it would Looking at this, I am certain that the 3-door Thar was intentionally designed to be as (extra) wide as it is, so that the 5-door Thar (must be on the cards from day-1) does not look disproportionate when it comes out.
cool_dube is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed