Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 22:42   #211
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Would like to respectfully disagree here. Armada sounds like a nightmare name for the 5 door Thar.

The SWB and LWB versions both have its pros and cons when it comes to offroading.

While the SWB version has better ramp over angle due to the shorter wheelbase and also a smaller turning radius, the LWB version will have its strengths too as an offroader such as better rollover stability during steep inclines, more practical space to carry gear.
Even the rampover angle limitation in an LWB version can be overcome with a higher suspension/tyre setup.

Hope Mahindra retains the Thar name for the 5 door version . Naming it anything else by moving away from the Thar branding will risk in significant loss of buyer interest/enthusiasm for the 5 door.

Now that you have mentioned about SWB and LWB versions and few technical intricacies, I would like to draw few parallels between the 5 door THAR and the ARMADA

ARMADA can be considered as the more urban-centric version of the Mahindra MM540 and MM775. Armada had a hardtop body configuration but the built quality was much higher than what was offered with the previous hardtops based on the MM540. The Armada is one of the first vehicles in the country which brought together the MUV and SUV credentials in a single-vehicle. It had the body structure of an off-roader SUV along with the long wheelbase and large two-box configuration cabin (estate type) of a MUV.

The Armada was a Fairly large vehicle, and was basically a 2WD as it was made for the urban on-road driving but also came with an optional 4WD system.

The Armada got a more luxurious variant, the Armada Grand, in 1998, it came with features like power windows, power steering, revised interiors, a new grille and also an electro-mechanical 4×4 drive selector.

Dimensions of Mahindra ARMADA

Length - 4341 mm
Width - 1800 mm
Height - 1783 mm
Wheelbase - 2680 mm
Ground Clearance - 175 mm

Also if Wrangler can have different variants like the Rubicon, Rubicon 392, Willys, Willy Sport, Sport S, Sport Altitude and even the Sahara; why not the THAR
Adorablejim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 06:46   #212
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
More images of the Thar 5-door

[ PowerDrift
Looks really nice and proportionate. Our Indian Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. This will be nice and practical and will open up the Jeepy experience for a lot more people who are also interested in practical luggage storage and comfortable grand touring with family.

They should take the time NOW to re design the interior space design and storage and add even greater practicality. They should ideally have the right interior space design talent to do this. I will happily volunteer to give them practical advice. Indeed I had written to them with plenty of practical suggestions from a consumer point of view even about the Bolero and Scorpio in the early 2000’s and the first gen XUV500 in 2011. But their head-in-the-clouds design people and ivory-tower-senior management-executives didn't pay heed.

They should have a customer advisory board which I don't think they do even now.

Lets not mince words. They have copied the Wrangler neatly in making the Thar. They could easily have copied the functional practical storage bits and interior space design too.

Mahindra can consider reviving their Marshal name for this. And they can have different variants with the top of the line being called the Marshal Royale.
They used to have the Marshal and Marshal Royale up until the early/ mid 2000’s. As i remember the last of the line Royales were sold in 2004-2005 or so. A friend of mine in the Nilgiris had bought one.

End of the day I like this 5 door Mahindra Thar big brother and I am absolutely sure many others will too. In fact Im also reasonably sure that many 3 door Thar owners themselves will switch over to this.

Most certainly this will be another runaway hit for Mahindra.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st November 2022 at 06:53.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 10:12   #213
BHPian

I recently sold off my Wrangler 5 door and my wify still murmurs whenever she sees a Blue 5 door JL. I told her we will get one soon and this is the one, I seriously wish. I need a go anywhere alternative to my X1 and for the first time, this looks like a practical one compared to the 2 door sin. I only wish M&M does things which are fair, e.g. a bit more free space in the driver area and a pliant ride which can be lived with. Rest can be managed (including the Mahindra's infamous 1st gen niggles!). This is going to be priced north of 20 lakhs to start with easily and will still sell like no tomorrow.
sgmuser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:26   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! The more I look at it, the more impressed I am. This is shaping up to be the perfect adventure-tourer:
  • Timeless jeep charm/killer looks retained from the 3-door Thar
  • Excellent approach/departure angles to make it much more off-road friendly than the Scorpio-N
  • Good comfort levels given longer wheelbase and (hopefully) better suspension (similar to Scorpio-N)
  • A great all-rounder with the ruggedness to take you off the beaten path, practicality to take your family to the neighborhood mall, and the space to ferry all your luggage for that 2-week long trip to the Himalayas - essentially your "do it all" vehicle
  • Proven powertrains - both mStallion and mHawk have already made a mark in the 3-door Thar as well as the XUV 7OO, not to mention the Scorpio-N
My guess on the pricing - a premium of around 2 lac over corresponding variants of the 3-door Thar!

Would I trade my 3-door Thar in for this? Well, if they provide a removable hard-top, 4wd with the mStallion engine, and that MLD at the rear, I'd be very, very tempted indeed

Last edited by cool_dube : 22nd November 2022 at 12:52.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 13:45   #215
BANNED

Quote:

Attachment 2381448

Attachment 2381449

Source : PowerDrift
For me this looks like a Bolero pick-up with hard top. The current 3 door Thar looks best.
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:38   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
I just cannot imagine calling a 5 door vehicle a Thar. Never.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
I hope Mahindra doesn't dilute Thar brand name for this.
What do guys think about the 5-Door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon? Is it a real Wrangler?
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:47   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
What do guys think about the 5-Door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon? Is it a real Wrangler?
As I wrote in my post, Thar is a Thar nothing more nothing less.

India is India. Why look at USA and Jeep Wrangler.

Different market different consumer mindset.

What works in USA may not work in India. Ford and Cheverolet had to pack their bags.

Jeep themselves still dont have the volumes.

My opinion was as an auto enthusiast and I still feel Thar is Thar nothing more notiing less.

It has to remain as it is.
sagsaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 21:07   #218
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Wow! The more I look at it, the more impressed I am. This is shaping up to be the perfect adventure-tourer:

Would I trade my 3-door Thar in for this? Well, if they provide a removable hard-top, 4wd with the mStallion engine, and that MLD at the rear, I'd be very, very tempted indeed
Exactly what you and I have been discussing for months and months. This can indeed be the ONLY vehicle in the stable.
With perhaps one more just for backup when the big Thar goes for servicing.
Maybe the Big 5 Door Thar + the little 5 Door Jimny?
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 18:39   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
For me this looks like a Bolero pick-up with hard top.
It will look like a Thar once the camouflage is off
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 09:10   #220
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door concept 3D renders, shows exactly the same styling of the current 3-door Thar with extended wheelbase and 2 additional doors .

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-mahindrathar5doorconcept.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-mahindrathar5doorconceptrender.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-mahindrathar5doorconceptrear.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st December 2022 at 09:16.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:36   #221
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spotted the 4-door Thar without any camouflage!

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20221211-14.31.35.jpg

Just kidding . Going by how the 2-door version is such a ripoff of the Wrangler, why should we expect the 4-door to be any different ?
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 20:42   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going by how the 2-door version is such a ripoff of the Wrangler, why should we expect the 4-door to be any different ?
They should try some innovative top option atleast
Old 14th December 2022, 16:17   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-Door to be revealed in January 2023.

Quote:
the long wheelbase version of the Thar will make its world premiere next month, around 26th January.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th December 2022 at 16:18.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 16:39   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-Door to be revealed in January 2023.
Now that could be 5-door Jimny effect. Although Jimny & Thar may be quite different, but it is good for the buyers now that they will be able to know about both the products in Jan itself. Mahindra may launch it as per their usual dates of 15th Aug/2nd Oct.
Old 14th December 2022, 17:09   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going by how the 2-door version is such a ripoff of the Wrangler, why should we expect the 4-door to be any different ?
why bother changing wheel arches etc. just create a true copy Mahindra. Anyways you will sell well.

I am ready to write a cheque any second this hits the market. In fact, I checked with my buddies at some dealerships in Bangalore if I can pay the “token” advance. I am so much in love with this silhouette.. I wouldn’t wait for anything to book this!!
sheelapratosh is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks