Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:35   #16
BANNED

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
New Generation Scorpio will go Single Body & Frame, and old school ladder frame will be done with!

What is single body on frame? confused:
Are you referring to unibody construction, AKA monocoque? (like the XUV 500)

If yes, then sorry, but you're mistaken. All the test mules of Z101 spotted so far have a ladder on frame construction.
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
What is single body on frame? confused:
Are you referring to unibody construction, AKA monocoque? (like the XUV 500)

If yes, then sorry, but you're mistaken. All the test mules of Z101 spotted so far have a ladder on frame construction.
Hi Friend,

Yes, i meant Monocoque construction, when i said single body & frame! Jeep Cherokee is one example of the same vs Wrangler. Correctly, XUV500 vs Scorpio is another example.

SUV does not necessarily means a 4WD vehicle, but the opposite is true!

The current test mules of Z101 are just mid life face lift vehicles and not complete next generation vehicles.

Bolero and THAR will remain Frame on Ladder, true blue old school FOUR WHEEL drive vehicles.

Happy Safe Driving!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The current test mules of Z101 are just mid life face lift vehicles and not complete next generation vehicles.
Z101 - Scorpio, what we have seen from random images so far. I could be wrong, but lets see how far it goes.

1. Overall dimensions are different.
2. ABC pillars are different.
3. Interiors are different.
4. Overall vehicle shape is different.
5. Not a single panel will fit from current one on sale to Z101.

Is that a midlife facelift? I do not think so.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friend,
I hope you have some insider info Sir, as this is exactly opposite of what we have been hearing so far!
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:40   #20
BHPian

There were reports of the TUV300 being rebadged as the Bolero ? Is there any overlap or confusion with that in this report of the Thar 5 door ?
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:33   #21
BHPian

This info is spreading like Wildfire

Reported on MSN already, source being Zee News which in turn got it from our team-bhp thread as per this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-in/autos/news...6Lu?li=AAgfYGb
MaanSingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The five door Thar will definitely sell atleast thrice the amount of two doors sold.

But wonder how the positioning would be.

Can't be like a premium Bolero since the 2 door Thar itself is 15 lakhs+. Can't be above the 2 door Thar as the next gen Scorpio is there. And it's not as if the Thar and Scorpio are radically different from each other. Styling aside, both are five door SUVs, BoF, with 4x4 (option) and the same engines.

But still, both can coexist I guess.
The Scorpio appealing to mainstream, discreet buyers. The 5 door Thar appealing to people who wanted to buy a Thar, but couldn't due to practical reasons.

Quote:
Hi Friend,

Yes, i meant Monocoque construction, when i said single body & frame!....The current test mules of Z101 are just mid life face lift vehicles and not complete next generation vehicles.
Doesn't really make sense. Why would Mahindra make the next gen Scorpio monocoque, when there is no reason to? The XUV500/700 exists as a monocoque crossover. The Gen3 platform could do with some economies of scale as the Thar will always remain a niche seller.

Maybe the chassis is unchanged, but from the scoop pics atleast, the body of the Z101 Scorpio is decades different from the current Scorpio. Not the body panels, not the A,B,C,D pillars, nothing looks similar to the current Scorpio.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:28   #23
BHPian

My gut feeling says, Mahindra will position the 5 door Thar as an extended top end variant over the 3 door variant, having a convertible top 5 door variant won’t make much sense to them given the time the changes will be consume and yet in the end it will boil down about the reliability of the convertible top.

It won’t be surprising if Mahindra brings out a 5 door LX variant which will be an extended variant of the existing 3 door one. Positioning a 5 door Thar as a separate product in the portfolio (like what they did with TUV in the past), will not make such sense. In a country like ours, a 5 door variant will make more sense and give the demand of LX HT variants it makes more sense for Mahindra to position the 5 door Thar as an extended top end variant above 3 door LX variant.

Yes some cross sales will happen between 3 door/5 door but then for Mahindra the overall sales of Thar as a combined product will matter. Take an example of Bolero extended version and bolero power+.
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Can't be like a premium Bolero since the 2 door Thar itself is 15 lakhs+. Can't be above the 2 door Thar as the next gen Scorpio is there. And it's not as if the Thar and Scorpio are radically different from each other. Styling aside, both are five door SUVs, BoF, with 4x4 (option) and the same engines.

I don't think they need to worry about cost that much if convertible top is there, can be a seller - having said that Thar should have been a 2 door only, even their new boss is of this opinion.

Overall this segment is going to give everyone a sticker shock - Thar top spec is 18L - my prediction was 20L but I'm okay with this in Bangalore, Scorpio? 21L , XUV big one is nearing 25L.

Ideally the new Scorpio will move into current XUVs price and 7OO will move into the 30L space. I think 4 door Thar has enough room price wise.

Last time people came to the showroom to see Thar and bought something else, this time that trick did not work.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
There were reports of the TUV300 being rebadged as the Bolero ? Is there any overlap or confusion with that in this report of the Thar 5 door ?
TUV3OO will be called Bolero Neo. And the 5 door Thar chassis with changes is in all probability being tested with a Bolero body.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 23rd April 2021 at 19:42.
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Some information of THAR rival, Jimny!

By the way, the first batch of Suzuki Jimny has made it to UAE, the earlier Jimny's were coming from Japan.

Expect some news on 5 Door Jimny, Soon!
Old 23rd April 2021, 20:03   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
But wonder how the positioning would be.
I feel 90% job is done with the 2-door. That was the more impractical choice, a huge price leap over the earlier generation and yet - Mahindra managed to create a huge demand for it.

Pricing the 4-door will just be a matter of having proper premium between the two siblings. I personally think it will have a 2 L premium because of the increased practicality, all the extra space, and due to the better dynamics (just a hope that wheelbase increase plays a role here) - more powerful engine tunes.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 09:58   #28
BHPian

As far as I know, there is a new Bolero in the making, that is updated with the mandatory passenger airbag etc. Not quite sure if they will rebrand it as Thar, as the interior of this upcoming Bolero is almost unchanged. The new Bolero SOP is supposed to be help by late August, but I am not so sure of it as nowadays, with M&M, there is soo much unpredictability.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th April 2021 at 06:55. Reason: Missing words added
Old 25th April 2021, 10:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The success of 3 Door THAR has made Mahindra Team to put a 5 Door version on field trial.

Guys, please keep your EYES open for this test mule under disguise of a Bolero! HINT
I was returning home to Chennai last night at 8:30 pm and saw a Bolero with red plates. I had also see multiple red plate Thars driving around. So maybe....? 🤷

I did not think to take pictures as I was too tired haha. But my mental image now says the stance looked weird for a Bolero...
slango97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 10:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friend,

SUV does not necessarily means a 4WD vehicle, but the opposite is true!
Opposite is also not true.

#Quattro!!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed