Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:57   #286
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snallagatla View Post
I don't think so. Thar RWD 3 door didn't receive a thumping response as Mahindra received for Thar 2020 (4x4), XUV700 and Scorpio-N. I would only imagine Thar 5 door RWD would sabotage Thar 3 door RWD sales.
The 3 door variant I agree may not be the right strategy considering the 5 door variant is getting ready for launch. But the 5 door variant could potentially work if priced competitively.
Old 6th February 2023, 11:01   #287
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am very certain that the 4-door Thar will get the Scorpio tune of engines. More passengers, more weight and the image of the Thar brand means a 4-door variant cannot be underspecced compared to the Scorpio-N.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 11:13   #288
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
re passengers, more weight and the image of the Thar brand means a 4-door variant cannot be underspecced compared to the Scorpio-N.
Considering that the present 3 door Thar 4x4 Petrol AT and its real world FE, do you think they will even offer the 5 door Thar in 4x4 Petrol AT?
Old 6th February 2023, 11:59   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Considering that the present 3 door Thar 4x4 Petrol AT and its real world FE, do you think they will even offer the 5 door Thar in 4x4 Petrol AT?
What if Thar 4 door is launched in Petrol 4x4 AT with only a convertible top?

Once again it would become a second car for those who can afford it, which also means FE is no bother again like it is now with the 2 door. A lot of the buyers of this brand now can afford even a Wrangler, but Thar has them hooked for various reasons.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 13:18   #290
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
What if Thar 4 door is launched in Petrol 4x4 AT with only a convertible top?

Once again it would become a second car for those who can afford it, of this brand now can afford even a Wrangler, but Thar has them hooked for various reasons.
I think they are looking to capture the ‘adventurous family’ market and perhaps the ‘lifestyle overlander’ market with this 5 door Thar.
As per what Ive read, 75% of Jeep Wranglers sold, are in their 5 door iteration. Mostly on account of practicality, versatility and useability.
It is reasonable to expect a similar occurrence with the Thar also once the 5 door iteration is launched and has taken hold.
There was some snippet stating the Thar 5 door would only be available in a Hard top version. Possibly they have not managed to work out a suitable convertible top for it yet.
I surmise however, that owing to fuel efficiency considerations they may not even offer the 4x4 AT HT 5 door with the Petrol option. For example I think there is already a precedent of this strategy in the case of the Scorpio N.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 14:09   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually think it's wise idea to put the Scorpio tune of engine in petrol Thar. in the Scorpio tune, the petrol Thar solves for the 'power hungry/image based purchase' segment of customer more than it does in current state of tune. The FE conscious customer will likely buy the diesel engine anyway.

Today, people who prefer petrol Thar over diesel are typically who - are scared of DPF issues (only bhpins tend to know of this, not aam junta), absolutely need petrol smoothness, may have other cars for economy. With the higher state of tune - Mahindra can add the 200bhp customer archetype to the mix.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 6th February 2023 at 14:11.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 18:52   #292
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra 5-door Thar spied testing in Manali.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20230206_185047.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 13:33   #293
Senior - BHPian

One of the biggest drawbacks which an Indian user of the Jeep Rubicon reported is the frequent cracking of the windshield (4 times a year in his case).
It seems to be cracking at a slightest stone chip on highway runs due to the windshield angle steep rake.

The same issue may be relevant to Thar 5 door, it may be prone to frequent windshield cracking if be used as a touring vehicle extensively.
Old 20th February 2023, 15:20   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

The same issue may be relevant to Thar 5 door, it may be prone to frequent windshield cracking if be used as a touring vehicle extensively.
I believe the 2nd gen Scorpio's had a similar windshield setting. On all my highway runs, there have been instances of stone hit, but no cracks of the windshield. Is there a major difference that I am not seeing. I have not referred to the technical specs, I am seeing it based on my visual interpretation
Old 2nd March 2023, 00:48   #295
BHPian

Don't really think the RWD Thar even MnM expected thumping response.

18 month waiting speaks volumes ( though can be inflated to create a hype) plus a price hike . In the coming days it will be the highest selling variant of the Thar as most are urban crawlers and can do decent off roading in the unexpected situation but not Trials

@for_cars1

Thar has this problem as the windshield is upright . Many users have reported on this forum

Last edited by Urorobo : 2nd March 2023 at 00:53.
Old 2nd March 2023, 00:58   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am very certain that the 4-door Thar will get the Scorpio tune of engines. More passengers, more weight and the image of the Thar brand means a 4-door variant cannot be underspecced compared to the Scorpio-N.

Needs better handling and ride . Hopefully the longer wheelbase will help in a better ride.

I am a 2 door person and prefer them in short wheel base but 4 door being more practical will defo have those family buyers who need one car to suit most needs including the wow looks

Good looks , 170-180 ps of power , better ride and handling thanks to a longer wheel base and you have recipe for success

Last edited by Urorobo : 2nd March 2023 at 01:02.
Old 2nd March 2023, 07:33   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
It seems to be cracking at a slightest stone chip on highway runs due to the windshield angle steep rake.
There are N number of vehicles with steeply raked windshields. How does one attribute this issue only to the jeep wrangler?
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:18   #298
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
There are N number of vehicles with steeply raked windshields. How does one attribute this issue only to the jeep wrangler?
My Thar also has experienced this when driving back on the NICE Road in end Nov. A passing lorry which overtook me kicked up a tiny stone which connected at the edge of the glass where it meets the body.
So I think it is probably any vehicle which is built like a Block of Flats with a big near-flat near-vertical glass surface by way of windshield, which is prone to stone cracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-125104d9d103424aa314055b070e0243.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-45a3bc52997643e59ed244031cc9434b.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:11   #299
BHPian

Quote:
So I think it is probably any vehicle which is built like a Block of Flats with a big near-flat near-vertical glass surface by way of windshield, which is prone to stone cracks.
Did you get the windshield replaced? I experienced these on my FJ on a few occasions and if it wasn’t a crack, they would drill a clean tiny hole at the point of impact and put a drop of some clear adhesive in the hole to stop if from developing into a crack and spreading further. But this has to be done asap after the hit else it grows bigger.

My Thar has gotten hit a few times so far but no nicks or cracks yet…. it’s only a matter of time though LOL
Old 25th March 2023, 16:19   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
So the 5 door variant still gets only four seats as per the spy shots ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
From the field trial pics, the rear door edge is almost half way over the rear wheel arch.
This implies the rear wheel arch will still eat into the rear seating with space only for 2 seats. This makes the 5 door Thar a four seater in all probability.

They could have extended the wheelbase a bit more so that wheel arch gets behind the seats making room for 3 seats at the rear.

Most Viewed