Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 18:13   #61
BANNED

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

So, finally the 5 door thar has been confirmed for India. As per the article I read, it is scheduled for launch in 2023. I am sure it would be a much anticipated variant.

Source - https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/ca...r-india/763097

@moderators - I am not sure if I am allowed to share external news links. Please remove it if it is not allowed and i will take care from next time onwards.
s.jain1990 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 19:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partishs View Post
As per news they have taken the first step. 3 door new base variant without 4*4 and 1.5 ltr engine. Seems like Mahindra wants to make Thar mainstream, at the cost of THAR's legacy.
Royal Enfield did the same gamble, now they have taken their company to the global stage.
Old 28th May 2021, 20:27   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by partishs View Post
As per news they have taken the first step. 3 door new base variant without 4*4 and 1.5 ltr engine. Seems like Mahindra wants to make Thar mainstream, at the cost of THAR's legacy.
Pray how does a stunted SWB jeep without 4x4 become automatically mainstream? 4x4s exist in an SWB avtar for their manoeuvrability. Remove the 4x4 and all you get is an overpriced Pygmy - a toy with no utilitarian value and without any particular advantage for its SWB. Neither good for off-roaders nor as a family car since families need the space of a 5 door.

A 5 door Thar without 4x4 but a rear MLD with RWD might still work as a family car as the MLD will give it slightly better ability to get out of sticky situations on weekend picnics or road trips on difficult terrains as is frequent on hill stations with bad roads or overflowing waterfalls in monsoons. Here the price advantage of lower cost of drivetrain can combine with utility to make it a more viable lifestyle vehicle IMHO.

Last edited by Ragul : 28th May 2021 at 20:32.
Ragul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 09:58   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jain1990 View Post
So, finally the 5 door thar has been confirmed for India. As per the article I read, it is scheduled for launch in 2023. I am sure it would be a much anticipated variant.

Source - https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/ca...r-india/763097

@moderators - I am not sure if I am allowed to share external news links. Please remove it if it is not allowed and i will take care from next time onwards.
Off-topic: Thanks for posting this, I just realized the XUV700, XUV300 & XUV900 will get an electric power train as well.

Posted that in the XUV700 thread.
Old 29th May 2021, 16:43   #65
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I have a very strong inkling that the 5-Door Thar is going to be called the ARMADA.
or
they could call the hard-top an Armada edition and the Open / Soft-top the Invader edition.
Tgo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 20:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I have a very strong inkling that the 5-Door Thar is going to be called the ARMADA.
or
they could call the hard-top an Armada edition and the Open / Soft-top the Invader edition.
Watch this space for more interesting news about THAR 5D!

Rural folks are going love what is coming for them.
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 20:24   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

You may be on to something… since the Thar has 5 wheels (spare wheel) it may be possibly branded as a 5x4!
Old 29th May 2021, 20:44   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

Rural folks?

Let me take a wild shot at this clue. Is the 'All New Bolero' going to use a cheaper version of the Thar 5 door platform?

Both looks to be in parallel development as mentioned in the below slide.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20210529-122558.jpeg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th May 2021 at 20:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 21:08   #69
BHPian

Hey Mahindra, why can't you make the all new Bolero on the planned original extended Thar platform and also give us an SUV on all new Scorpio platform with Thar body panels and call it as Thar 5D? Asking too much? Everyone loves a bit more sophistication and importantly it's good for your volumes and profits.
Old 29th May 2021, 22:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
You may be on to something… since the Thar has 5 wheels (spare wheel) it may be possibly branded as a 5x4!
Sir, Mahindra makes 4WD vehicles, not 4x4x4 or 5x4!

Have you noticed, most of the passenger vehicles sold in India come with a spare wheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Rural folks?

Let me take a wild shot at this clue. Is the 'All New Bolero' going to use a cheaper version of the Thar 5 door platform?

Both looks to be in parallel development as mentioned in the below slide.

Attachment 2161716
Sir, please read the first post of this thread, the HINT lies in it!

Also, two different vehicles on the same platform can be sold to two different buyers from different social-economic back ground and their purchasing power!

Few examples:

Toyota has Hilux, Fortuner and Innova on the same platform!

Lexus vehicles are just another Fancy Toyotas!

Hyundai and KIA share the same platforms for their vehicles.

No reasons to hold back Mahindra from doing the same.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th May 2021 at 23:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Parm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 21:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

Here are some latest scoops on the 5 door Thar -

1. The 5 door version of the Thar will not launch before 2023/24.

2. The 5 door Thar will get the same tune for its diesel engine as the all new Scorpio. So most likely it will have 150 odd bhp.

3. Mahindra is expecting to face another round of lawsuit from Jeep once they launch the 5 door Thar in the Indian market as it will have an uncanny resemblance to the Wrangler.

4. The launch of 5 door Thar is pushed to 2023/24 because Mahindra expects to have serious product cannibalization with the all new Scorpio as both these SUVs are expected to be priced in the same ballpark with the Thar being a couple of lakhs cheaper than the Scorpio.

Will post more updates when I get them.
ram87pune is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 07:00   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

2. The 5 door Thar will get the same tune for its diesel engine as the all new Scorpio. So most likely it will have 150 odd bhp.

4. The launch of 5 door Thar is pushed to 2023/24 because Mahindra expects to have serious product cannibalization with the all new Scorpio as both these SUVs are expected to be priced in the same ballpark with the Thar being a couple of lakhs cheaper than the Scorpio.

Will post more updates when I get them.
Excited to hear these updates - thank you for sharing.

I am curious about one thing though. What exactly is the effective difference between a Scorpio and a 5D Thar then. Both are 4x4 capable right? What’s the distinct offering they hope to achieve at such a closely overlapping price point?

I hope the 5D Thar is not more rural market oriented - that there will be an urban centric lifestyle offering as well.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 07:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

The first generation Thar, although a good off roader lacked some refinement. In the second generation Thar, Mahindra tackled this problem and in turn the new Thar is now quite refined for touring as well. However the space is only for two persons and luggage. The back seats is just namesake as no one would like to get there.
Mahindra is currently doing the right thing by slowly introducing the five door Thar. This will solve the purpose of off roading as well as touring for a small family. I'm sure this will sell in big numbers as it's one step above the Bolero and Bolero 4x4 is stopped.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 14th June 2021 at 08:00.
Old 20th June 2021, 09:51   #74
BHPian

Taking about the 5 door Thar, I was wondering if it would benefit if Mahindra brings in a fully electric version of the Thar.

I believe mechanically it should be relatively simple and handling of offroading can be updated via software updates if the hardware is designed to accommodate.

At the least, they can have two variants, one simple dual motor which can have brake assisted differential locking and another one with an advanced gearbox at each axle that can handle real differential locking with dynamic torque conversion and even another variant which can have quad motors.

Last edited by Kannan : 20th June 2021 at 09:53.
Old 20th June 2021, 11:31   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I believe mechanically it should be relatively simple
It won't be simple, in fact it will be very complex - looking at timelines of other launches like XUV 700, Electric XUV 300, Taigun, Honda Creta rival etc. it can easily take 10 years to launch 5 door electric Thar.
MaanSingh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks