Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2021, 23:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaanSingh View Post
It won't be simple, in fact it will be very complex - looking at timelines of other launches like XUV 700, Electric XUV 300, Taigun, Honda Creta rival etc. it can easily take 10 years to launch 5 door electric Thar.
For Off-Road, i would always prefer a conventional ICE vehicle every time over an electric vehicle!

Like a wise Arab once told me, Taking two extra Jerry Cans of petrol would be easier than carrying 2 Jerry Cans and a Generator in the Desert!

Last edited by Parm : 20th June 2021 at 23:51.
Parm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 11:12   #77
BHPian

With Jeep USA and Australia closely watching what Mahindra is doing with the Thar especially outside of India, I ponder, how much opportunity is lost for Mahindra in terms of ROI, if at all they had done a bit of homework and modified the design to not to really resemble like Wrangler. Something like this managed to escape Jeep's scrutiny, somehow. Similarly, Mahindra should have done something and exploit the bigger markets and better potential.

https://carnewschina.com/wp-content/...j40-plus-1.jpg
Old 29th August 2021, 16:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

Here are some latest scoops on the 5 door Thar -

1. The 5 door version of the Thar will not launch before 2023/24.

2. The 5 door Thar will get the same tune for its diesel engine as the all new Scorpio. So most likely it will have 150 odd bhp.
Will post more updates when I get them.
Oh man, this really sucks. My ideal next vehicle is a cheaper wrangler/that 5 door with much better power than what it offers. I was hoping it would at least offer the xuv700 levels of engine specs
Old 17th October 2021, 22:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians

Here is some latest info on the upcoming 5 door variant of the Thar

1. My sources are telling me that the ride quality of the 5 door variant will see a huge improvement as compared to the 3 door variant and will no longer be a deal breaker.

2. The power steering on the 5 door Thar is also made lighter than the 3 door one.

3. Launch will take place in 2023 and Mahindra expects similar colossal response like the 3 door Thar and the XUV700 for this variant too.

4. Mahindra will try to push the 5 door variant more than the 3 door one as it will be more profitable plus practical for day to day use and thus we may see the 3 door variant as a made to order special after the launch of the 5 door Thar.

That's all for now. Will post more updates soon.
ram87pune is online now   (56) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 06:32   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello bhpians

1. My sources are telling me that the ride quality of the 5 door variant will see a huge improvement as compared to the 3 door variant and will no longer be a deal breaker.

4. Mahindra will try to push the 5 door variant more than the 3 door one as it will be more profitable plus practical for day to day use and thus we may see the 3 door variant as a made to order special after the launch of the 5 door Thar.
Thanks for these handy updates. Incredibly helpful.

Is there any ballpark idea of what kind of price premium the 5 door may move to (over the 3 door)? I know a lot of folks who would still prefer a 3 door Thar to 5 door so I find the “made to order” factor surprising.

I’d be curious to know how exactly they plan to address ride quality and if that is indeed possible why they wouldn’t do it on the 3 door too.

Finally, any idea if they are addressing some common complaints like the fogging issue - which seems squarely down to a flawed design issue of the vents.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 08:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

I’d be curious to know how exactly they plan to address ride quality and if that is indeed possible why they wouldn’t do it on the 3 door too.

That jumpy ride quality is a trait of short wheel base. It can be traded off to an extent by using better spring rates and better more complex shock absorbers but can never be similar to a longer wheel base. Something similar to our class 9th physics. Force x distance thingy.
An example can be the ride quality difference between a C class and an E class mercedes. Stark difference even on steel springs.
I'm looking towards some aftermarket solution for the suspension. Waiting for reviews of the same. Some have been installed I'm told.
navpreet318 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 09:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Waiting for reviews of the same. Some have been installed I'm told.
Recently (today) saw Arka motorsport displaying the performance suspension kit for the Thar, for better handling and ride quality. Hope it performs good.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 10:40   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bhpians

=====
That's all for now. Will post more updates soon.
Thanks for the insider info . Will this one be placed above the next generation Scorpio or below it?

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th October 2021 at 18:03. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 11:53   #84
BHPian

The 5 door Thar should definitely have a proper steel roof and not the plastic/fabric one. Hope that is taken care of. Instead of the sunroof, if it has a large transparent area where the roof meets the body (like old Land Rovers, VW bus etc.), it would be a killer combination. If it is competent and offers creature comforts on the inside, we may see the discontinuation of the 5 seater XUV700. In other words, if it marries the Thar spirit with XUV700 execution, my money is on it.
Old 18th October 2021, 12:19   #85
BHPian

The Mahindra Thar is enroute to become a lifestyle car from an Offroader.
Jhinchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:45   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhinchak View Post
The Mahindra Thar is enroute to become a lifestyle car from an Offroader
The long wheel base Thar will have a slightly lower ramp-over angle and higher turning radius compared to the 2 door Thar. On the plus side, the 5 door version will have a higher rollover stability on inclines. So the 5 door Thar should still be a competent off-roader with the assumption that all variants will have part time 4WD as standard.

If M&M provides more creature comforts such as rear AC vents, center arm rest, 360 degree camera, bigger glove box, better(wider) front seats, plusher interiors increasing its lifestyle quotient, all the better and M&M, whatever you do, please don't skimp on the adjustable headrest for the rear middle occupant like it was done in the XUV700, a proper headrest for all occupants is an essential whiplash-injury preventing safety feature.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th October 2021 at 14:49.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:45   #87
BHPian

Seems just in time for my planned timeline for a car change. Have been ogling at the Thar since the camouflaged test car days. 5-door Thar will be a perfect car for all my needs.
Old 20th October 2021, 02:14   #88
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for the 5 door Thar. Let's hope Mahindra increase the power on both engines so as to easily drive the added weight 🤞. If priced well and given the right features, it will definitely sell like hot cakes similar to it's 3 door sibling.
yatesh.92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 09:05   #89
BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5 door to be to be launched in 2025??
Is this reliable news?
Source: https://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-scor...har-timelines/
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 11:30   #90
BANNED

The 5 seater Thar should provide more powerful engine with light power steering. Since it would have longer wheel base, turning radius will also increase but they should manage body rollover. With all bells and whistles, 5 seater thar will sell like hotcakes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks