Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:47   #1
BHPian

"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it

As we all know, the limited edition marketing strategy always carries a sense of exclusivity as the product would only be available for a very short time or in limited numbers only. Limited edition cars are a special form of art, parading the style and performance of a model from a particular manufacturer. Such limited production cars are usually reserved for a special occasion, maybe an anniversary or to celebrate partnership with another brand.

Here in India, almost every car brand is following this strategy since nineties. Back then, special edition cars used to have at least some minor mechanical changes apart from the spurced up cosmetics. Nowadays, the advantage of limited edition cars is limited to new paint schemes, extra decals, blacked-out grille, interior colour themes, special upholstery patterns, etc. Manufacturers are not even interested to add at least some extra features to the model. In most cases, limited edition models are launched in our market to sell off the remaining units of a car that is to be discontinued soon at a premium price.

When an existing model is at the end of its life cycle, car manufacturers add some new bits to the car from parts bin and sell it for same price, the Octavia Onyx launched in 2019 is an example for this. On the other side, some brands introduces special edition models during every six months to attract buyers towards an outdated product, the recently launched Polo Matt edition is a perfect example. I have seen Jeep and Renault also doing the same in recent past.

Before all these, we Indians had a time when car manufacturers used to offer super-cool limited edition models of their cars. Some such cars that comes to my mind are Palio S10, Zen Carbon/Steel, Safari LE, Esteem Velocity, etc.

Here's how different they were :

Fiat Palio S10 (2002) :
• Launched as a tribute to the cricket maestro, Sachin Tendulkar.
• Only 500 units were made.
• Sold in Canary Yellow shade only with Tendulkar's signature and logos scattered everywhere.
• 5-spoke alloy wheels, leather steering wheel, differently upholstered seats, non-slip metal pedals, a leather gear lever knob, a silver finish music system with six speakers, free flow exhaust and a driver side airbag.
• Goodies like cricket bat with Sachin's autograph, a certificate of ownership and a FIAT cap were provided with the car.
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-screenshot_20210423143434__01.jpg

Maruti Zen Carbon/Steel (2003) :
• Built from the leftover units of three-door Zens (i.e. Alto) exported to Poland.
• 600 units were manufactured in total, 300 Carbons and 300 Steels.
• Carbon and Steel were sold in Carbon Black and Steel Silver shades respectively.
• Carbon variant had a grey and red combinated perforated leather upholstery and steering wheel cover. Steel variant had deep blue and silver combinated upholstery.
• Five-spoke Aura branded alloys, power windows, sporty aluminium pedals and chrome exhaust tip were standard in both Carbon and Steel.
• Mechanically, these were same as the regular Zen, but was amazing to drive because of the reduced weight from the already light chassis.
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-1111__01.jpg

Tata Safari Limited Edition (2003) :
• Only 600 units were manufactured.
• Both 4x2 and 4x4 options were available in Limited Edition.
• Four shades were offered : Fiji Blue, Mica Black, Silver Mist and Pearl White.
• Equipment list included Sony Playstation 2, 10 audio and video CD changer, two front head-rest integrated LCD monitors, a 12-litre refrigerator cum warmer and a 2.5-inch colour LCD based reverse guide system.
• Apart from this, the Limited Edition Safari had matt silver finish centre console, different instrument panel and an aluminum finish gear knob.
• This was the very first model of Safari to get single-tone exterior colour finish in India.
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-tata_safari_1998_images_1__01.jpg

Which are the other seriously fantastic special edition cars you remember?

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 23rd April 2021 at 16:52.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (81) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:39   #2
BHPian

re: "Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it

I will be the first to hop in this thread since I am at owning a last of its kind, the Thar 700 signature edition. This product was the last of its type, when the Thar CRDe was about to get discontinued, Mahindra came up with a brilliant strategy of manufacturing a last lot of 700 vehicles which was named as Thar 700. To further make it as a trademark Mahindra came up with the aqua marine color and company fitted alloys as standard which were not part of the earlier Thar CRDe.

Thanks for starting this thread.

As the brochure said, it’s the patron saint of a restless souls and even turns heads to this date. Below are the pictures of an extract from the brochure and my Thar 700.

"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-7bdbdd4928dd46c687f63ff99c3e7bcc.jpeg

"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-6cf08bf561a44088a6c21a9d62c44b44.jpeg

"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-d59f0c12ead24053aa36b371a97aa216.jpeg

"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-f48bda80503f4493a843380d81642e34.jpeg

"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-5c61ab0b82bf45e38d5f26772f029fd6.jpeg
abhikb is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 20:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Limited editions are a pain. I own a Mobilio RS. I know it is a discontinued model, but the RS is crazy.
It has projector headlights, bulbs of which cost 8K each. Aftermarket bulbs do not fit.
The skirts are a pain, a flying stone damaged one side skirt and I had to wait for 3 weeks for the part to arrive.
The windscreen is a special heat resistant type and when it broke once, the technicians had to replace the glass 3 times before being able to fit the windscreen correctly without breaking.
Even getting the badges is a pain.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 22:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Limited editions are a pain. I own a Mobilio RS. I know it is a discontinued model, but the RS is crazy.
It has projector headlights, bulbs of which cost 8K each. Aftermarket bulbs do not fit.
The skirts are a pain, a flying stone damaged one side skirt and I had to wait for 3 weeks for the part to arrive.
The windscreen is a special heat resistant type and when it broke once, the technicians had to replace the glass 3 times before being able to fit the windscreen correctly without breaking.
Even getting the badges is a pain.
This is why you buy a Maruti or VW limited edition. Only different varieties of stickers and some ungodly nomenclature.

Just kidding - I don't understand limited editions at all unless there is something more than cosmetic. What I even hate more is the "RS" version - a demeaning suffix to regular cars with just additional flashy graphics.
Mad Max is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 11:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
This is why you buy a Maruti or VW limited edition. Only different varieties of stickers and some ungodly nomenclature.
This thread wont be complete without the MS Swift of course, which deserves the crown for the most limited editions ever in our market. From the 'One million' to RS, Windsong, Glory, Deca edition etc. the list is long and plenty
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-swift.png
TrackDay is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 20:01   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it

Related Thread - Would you buy a limited edition variant?

Let's keep the focus of this thread only on good limited editions . Totally agreed with the Palio S10 and Thar 700. Both are droolworthy.

I liked the Nexon Kraz edition because of the black colour, and the sweet rims. Would get rid of the green bits though:
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-1.jpg

Also liked Ather's Collectors Edition. The company has a design aesthetic for sure:
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-2.jpg

VW's Turbo Edition was definitely the edition of the year, primarily due to its superb pricing! Just 6.99 lakhs for a fun-to-drive, safe, solid car powered by an insanely fun engine
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Not bad looking for an MPV though. Compare it to the dull Ertiga of the time:
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 20:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

Do 'unintentional' limited editions count?

Only 200-odd are in existence.
Attached Thumbnails
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-img_20190908_08042386601.jpeg  

Chetan_Rao is offline   (135) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 20:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
This thread wont be complete without the MS Swift of course, which deserves the crown for the most limited editions ever in our market.
If there is an award for the car with most number of limited editions released, Polo and Vento will be the winners for sure. These cars have recieved at least 25 limited edition models together in the last 10 years if I am not wrong. The very first limited edition model which Vento received was the 'IPL Edition' in 2011 when Volkswagen joined hands with Indian Premier League to become their official partner for 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Next limited edition launched was the 'Breeze' on both Polo and Vento in end-2011. These models had touch screen audio system, satellite navigation, pillows and some odd-looking decals on the C-pillar. Later, Volkswagen went on introducing limited editions during every 6-7 months for Polo and Vento blindly for no reasons (correct me if I am wrong). Some of the many Volkswagen limited editions which I remember are Style, Konekt, Exquisite, Highline Plus LE, Allstar, Crest, Sport Edition, Black and White, Cup Edition, GT Line, TSI Edition, Red and White, etc. I know I have still missed out many

Allstar
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-screenshot_20210424201559__01.jpg

Sport Edition
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-screenshot_20210424201525__01.jpg

Cup Edition
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-screenshot_20210419121745__01.jpg

GT Line
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-screenshot_20210419121658__01.jpg

TSI Edition
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-screenshot_20210419121723__01.jpg

Red and White
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-screenshot_20210424201822__01.jpg
Shreyfiesta is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 21:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

A noteworthy limited edition was last gen Ertiga's limited edition in its last months. It had all black interiors, leatherette seats, alloys in VX edition and other goodies.

All black interiors themselves are worthy of being called limited edition, as the usual beige interiors of Ertiga were hard to maintain. Too bad it was only for manual versions, else I too would have an automatic limited edition Ertiga.

"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-64126492.jpg
ani_meher is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 21:07   #10
BHPian

There was Pajero Sport Anniversary Edition 2014. I think it had more features and a badge for the Edition.

Visually it was almost same as the regular version but being the legendary Pajero it was worth having at that time
aniyo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 21:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...y-special.html (Ford Fiesta 1.6S - The "S" is truly special)

This one was special - the Ford Fiesta 1.6S Duratec. I have one in exactly this blue shade in my society and I still can't help thinking how great it looks! Just not sure if it was limited edition but i guess it never did great numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-193006e364c1c55b72bf66375c4de70cc106e6.jpg  

Nilesh5417 is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 22:22   #12
BHPian

My vote would go to the Mahindra Scorpio Sportz, which was launched in 2005. Sure the "Sportz" nomenclature was tacky, but 16 years ago, the limited edition yellow paint job made me fall head over heels in love with the Scorpio. As a 15-year-old kid, I remember taking color printouts of the Scorpio Sportz, making collages, and decorating my room with them.

"Limited Edition" cars that were actually worth it-1242201364scorpiocrde.3.jpg

Image courtesy BSMotoring (one magazine that I truly miss).
TejasKinger is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 10:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I liked the Nexon Kraz edition because of the black colour, and the sweet rims. Would get rid of the green bits though:
Attachment 2148388
Unfortunately those aren't rims those are merely wheel caps that go over regular black steel rims. Also the brochure images were heavily edited to add extra shine to the black abs plastic elements like the foglamp housing. The car came with blanks just plain plastic dummy foglights. I'll admit there is taste in those lime green elements but at the end of the day I doubt the car was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
A noteworthy limited edition was last gen Ertiga's limited edition in its last months. It had all black interiors, leatherette seats, alloys in VX edition and other goodies.
Leatherette seats does not make for a noteworthy limited edition IMO. In a tropical country like India, one is just going to end up suffering in leatherette interiors in the summer
IshaanIan is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 10:36   #14
BHPian

We bought a 10th Anniversary edition of Honda City Zx in 2008. Our Gxi variant came with alloys, foglamps, a better looking instrument cluster, power door lock switch, steering with silver embellishment and sweet looking 10th anniversary badges near the c pillar and the boot .
I feel it added good value to the City, which was pricey compared to its competitors at that time.
Storm2.0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 11:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...y-special.html (Ford Fiesta 1.6S - The "S" is truly special)

This one was special - the Ford Fiesta 1.6S Duratec. I have one in exactly this blue shade in my society and I still can't help thinking how great it looks! Just not sure if it was limited edition but i guess it never did great numbers.
This was for me one of the true limited editions.
From what I have heard - a different ECU map, stiffer suspension, wider tires(?) along with all the cosmetic changes.

But an actual limited edition should be something like the Octavia RS in which the actual power output is more than the normal model. Baleno RS was another example, but that wasn't intended to be a limited edition. Same with the Figo S to an extent since it had bigger tyres and wheels and stiffer suspension and sway bar.

I wish car manufacturers bring out cars like the Tiago JTP and the Abarth and then make it limited instead of only cosmetic changes.
An example,Ford Figo with a 1.5 petrol engine or a Ecoboost engine.

A limited edition should be mainly intended for driving pleasure rather than viewing.

Last edited by tharian : 25th April 2021 at 11:45. Reason: Spelling
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed