Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2021, 13:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Citroen is working on new Hatchback & Crossover for India

Citroen made its debut in the Indian market with the launch of the C5 Aircross earlier this year. Having adopted a top-down approach, the French brand is now gearing up to launch a hatchback and crossover, as part of its "C Cubed" program.

Citroen is working on new Hatchback & Crossover for India-2017_citroen_c3_75_1920x1080.jpg

You may have heard about the new model codenamed: CC21. We have been told that CC21 will be a hatchback, while CC21X will be a crossover based on the same car.

Both cars are expected to get the biggest touchscreen head-units in their respective segments. Citroen also intends to keep 'comfort' as its USP, just as it has done with the C5 Aircross.

Citroen is working on new Hatchback & Crossover for India-cc21.jpg

The CC21 and CC21X are expected to be based on Citroen's modular CMP platform. The cars are likely to feature quirky and unconventional exterior designs, which the brand is known for. Reports suggest that the new models could be powered by a 1.2-litre, turbo-petrol engine paired with either a 5-speed manual or automatic transmission.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Citroen is working on new Hatchback & Crossover for India

Unless these cars are the global next-generation versions of the C3 and the C3 Aircross, why don't Citroën just launch the current-gen C3 and C3 Aircross in India?

Maybe the current-gen cars are expensive to manufacture in India but developing new cars for India on the more expensive, modular CMP platform, should be as expensive, if not more. Of course, they may go in for some serious cost-cutting and develop tin can variants of their cars in India, but that would be seriously disappointing.

The C3 hatchback is less than 4m, so it won't need any sheet metal modifications for India. C3 Aircross may or may not need modifications depending on how Citroën wants to position that product.
Marauder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:19   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Unless these cars are the global next-generation versions of the C3 and the C3 Aircross, why don't Citroën just launch the current-gen C3 and C3 Aircross in India?
I think you might be spot on. Could be these cars, but toned down (ugh - made for India) versions with some cost cutting. Considering that Citroen doesn't know a thing about marketing (see my posts on the C5 Aircross thread), I would suggest they stay away from the brutal hatchback segment. Even giants like Honda & Toyota were knocked out in round 1 itself by Maruti & Hyundai. Best to look for segments where the competition isn't as fierce in terms of price & product. Like how Kia is doing. Notice how the Korean brand has so far avoided hatchbacks & compact sedans.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 14:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would suggest they stay away from the brutal hatchback segment. Even giants like Honda & Toyota were knocked out in round 1 itself by Maruti & Hyundai. Best to look for segments where the competition isn't as fierce in terms of price & product. Like how Kia is doing. Notice how the Korean brand has so far avoided hatchbacks & compact sedans.
Agreed, although I think the CSUV segment is going to become the most brutal segment in a couple of years. Kia have the advantage of Hyundai being by their side. I think they have announced that they won’t launch any sedans in India.

I wish PSA decides to bring Peugeot to India, as well. Their earlier stint was a failure but the consumer today doesn’t know about earlier Peugeots in India. Their new 2008 would be a great product for the current Indian market. I don’t know if Citroen’s quirky styling will appeal to the Indian masses whereas, Peugeot’s new design language will be a hit in India.

Citroen should also bring their C4 Picasso/Spacetourer to India. There is a gap in the MPV segment there and I think Kia is planning to launch a car in the 10-20 lakh MPV segment.
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 15:19   #5
BHPian

Irrespective of the car becoming a success, from the customer perspective, its always better to have more options. New players in the segment will push existing players to improve their products as well. Or at least the feature spread across variants. I welcome the move. I only hope they don't do what Hyundai did to the i20, vis-a-vis exorbitant pricing.

Last edited by Benoit : 29th April 2021 at 15:21.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:08   #6
BHPian

Now Citroën can sell these cars at some premium over the competition, given that they've already established the fact that they are a premium brand going by the pricing of the C5 aircross.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks