Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 15:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!

Just checked Martin's IG profile. He's been posting TATA Sierra pix since Feb '20. Maybe even from before that too. He's been involved in TATA Design for a while already.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 29th April 2021 at 15:46.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 15:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Just checked Martin's IG profile. He's been posting TATA Sierra pix since Feb '20. Maybe even from before that too. He's been involved in TATA Design for a while already.
Yes, you can see the details here (from 6 min onwards).
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
All he did was chisel and sharpen the early 2000's design of Tata, which were done by Pininfarina, and personally I dont like those jutting tail-lights with a 4 inch kink below them, looks odd and too sharp, the Tata Altroz dashboard is a clean copy of the Elite i20.
I think the current range of Tata vehicles now has a distinctive identity, and I would definitely credit Pratap Bose for that. Design is subjective, and you might not like it, but look at it this way - you can easily identify a Tata vehicle on the road. This is a huge achievement considering the contraints that come with vehicle design, business and engineering. (Speaking as an industry member.)

Also, not sure why you think the Altroz dashboard area is a copy of the i20 Elite.

Quote:
Martin Uhlarik has work experience in Skoda, Nissan and SAIC prior to Tata, I trust him to bring in a true European look to Tata motors going forward. I think it's a step forward in the right direction for Tata, they should bring in the Europeans for everything henceforth. Can't wait to see the next generation of Tata cars.
I'm not sure a designer's national background has anything to do with their design capability. I don't agree to the notion that Tata will do better or worse - with a designer from a different national/cultural background. The skills, talent and experience that a person develops eventually trump all perceived barriers, including nationality.
designfreak is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:43   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
If the right people are still seated in the studios with their equipment in hand, only getting someone from Europe will solve the issues. No doubt he was good, but better can be hired too!

They should get someone from Europe now, Europeans are really good in making elegant and timeless designs.
I would have to disagree. I think we shouldn't make the connect between nationality and design-leadership skills.
While I agree that Europe, the US and Japan have been important centres of vehicle design, and the legendary cars and motorcycles that we all know of have mostly come out of there, it's a different, highly globalised world we have been living in now, for the past few decades. Cars and motorcycles are no longer a luxury in many parts of the world.
Designers from different countries work in important positions at vehicle companies everywhere. 'Elegant and timeless designs' can come from anyone who is accomplished enough, and their nationality has nothing to do with it.
designfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 18:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
I think Pratap Bose was sad that he had to lie about calling Gravitas as Safari and saying this was always the plan. I mean Come ‘on the guy had to keep repeating this with a straight face - this was the last nail in the coffin
Weird how this is also what I had in my mind when I read this article. Kind of tarnished his public image and by extension the brand's image with that lie.
Old 29th April 2021, 18:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I have been to the Mahindra Design Studio for a day and let me tell you that appreciating just the Design Director is like appreciating just the Director of a Brilliant film.

Just like actors, costume and effect designers, make up artists, sound engineers and others contribute to an awesome film, there are hundreds of people involved in designing a car. A designer to just design the "name badge".

Yes, the director oversees all the process and is himself involved too but he is definitely not the lone warrior.

We must accept the change. All the best to both of them.
Its like the PM taking credit for all the work done by various Govt. Depts and bureaucrats.
But we can't neglect the fact that he did have a proper vision regarding how Tata products should look. (If we overlook the Zest and Bolt)

Last edited by ZenMaster : 29th April 2021 at 18:27. Reason: Type
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 18:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Weird how this is also what I had in my mind when I read this article. Kind of tarnished his public image and by extension the brand's image with that lie.
I think its got to do with more than it being a lie or not, the vehicle in itself is a Harrier + , it may as well be sold as one rather than under utilizing Safari brand name & completely wrecking gravitas, could have been placed above Safari as a more premium offering, it sure had some weight in its name.
Old 29th April 2021, 18:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
personally I dont like those jutting tail-lights with a 4 inch kink below them, looks odd and too sharp, the Tata Altroz dashboard is a clean copy of the Elite i20.
Same here. They may try to pass it off as new age design, but it looks horrendous. There are sharp edges and corners. I wouldn't go near these.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 18:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have not come across the man's social media feed. But to judge his work based on the size of his ego, seems a tad silly. The numbers speak for themselves. Current generation Tata cars are not selling like hot samosas because of their superior efficiency are they?
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:44   #40
BHPian

Even the generations evolve in design looking at modernization all around. Since TATA had acquired JLR a long time ago, the design change in Indian cars should have been ahead by leaps & bounds than the present state. However, the work culture in TATA is not of a MNC but a typical government office. Until the changes happen at top, you can't expect things to change down the line.

IMO, bringing in a European design head may prove to be good, so whatever has happened is all for the good! Best of luck, TATA!

Last edited by breezydrive : 29th April 2021 at 19:46.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 21:30   #41
BHPian

I sincerely hope that along with Pratap Bose, the idea of bringing back Sierra also does not goes out of Tata Motor’s plan!
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 21:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Official Note from Pratap Bose

Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!-20210429_215656.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th April 2021 at 22:01.
Venkatesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 01:14   #43
BHPian

Not entirely surprised with this news. There comes a time when you peak and from there on it can only go downhill. PB had peaked at TaMo and perhaps that would have started reflecting in the designs too. Except for the Altroz and the Harrier’s rear, I never found the designs “breathtaking”. Personal opinion.

There’s no denying the fact though, that in the last 4 odd years of his 14 year stint, the sales numbers did progressively go up.

I only hope that Tata finds a similar “star” for their QC department. Someone who is as proud of his work delivery. Maybe, just maybe then we don’t have to deal with loose power window switches, ill fitted engine mounts and leaky oil seals.
JayKavadi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 08:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

In general, Tata motors have rarely put a foot wrong in terms of car designs, and im saying this right from the Sierra, Sumo days. Most Tata cars, except the indigo CS and the Manza have had cohesive design language and always pleasing to the eye. I cannot remember any hideous designs ever to come from the Tata stable. Just look at Mahindra, Hyundai and even Suzuki, cars such as KUV100, Aura, 2020 Creta, Espresso are such bad designs and yet have been given the green light right at the top.

So while none of us can actually ascertain how much the exit of Pratap Bose will impact Tata, I feel that as a group they will adapt to the departure of key leaders. Maybe Pratap Bose has seeded the direction in certain elements and others will take it forward. No one is too big to replace! And that is how Tata should treat this incident and move on.
motorworks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 09:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I cannot remember any hideous designs ever to come from the Tata stable.
Sumo Grande says Hi.. Grande was worse than Manza. I find Indigo CS much better comparing to many sub 4m compact sedans came to the market later.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks