Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 08:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!

Pratap Bose quits as Tata Motors design head.

Martin Uhlarik, Head of Design, UK has taken over his role.

Quote:
The news of his abrupt exit will continue to puzzle industry observers and comes at a time when Tata Motors is on the lookout for a new Managing Director. It had announced the appointment of Marc Listosella with much fanfare but this fell through subsequently.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th April 2021 at 08:27.
volkman10 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 08:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors promotes Pratap Bose to VP of Global Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

That's a bummer because his designs are what is drawing crowds to the TaMo showrooms - curious, did he quit because he was overlooked for the MD's role?
AirWind is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Link
Martin Uhlarik has a huge shoes to fill. Bose's decision came out of nowhere. He created an amazing change at Tata Motors and their monthly sales numbers speaks for itself. With Tata Motors also in hunt for new MD and Bose making his exit, the next few years will be very critical for the company. The current set of products can continue to pull the numbers for next couple of years beyond which they need Uhlarik to pull off something!
balmeter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Here it is in the news:

Pratap Bose quits after 14 years. Headed to “greener pastures”

Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th April 2021 at 09:27.
volkman10 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

re: Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!

Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
curious, did he quit because he was overlooked for the MD's role?
Exactly what I thought in the first place.
Was brilliant enough to be elevated to the MD's position. Any reason why he could not have been considered for the promotion?

If I were the HR of the company, I will have a tough time replacing such stalwarts. & not everyone can understand Tata's philosophy & culture. It's unlike a normal business unit.

Will be good to see if Tata can manage to keep up with the numbers they have achieved for themselves. Also, a good time to sell the shares?
dhruv.bansal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Found him a tad overrated and highly egoistic, he almost felt like he's above the league of Batista Farrina, Giorgetto Guigiaro, Chris Bangle, Peter Schreyer etc whereas to me he won't even cut top 100.

All he did was chisel and sharpen the early 2000's design of Tata, which were done by Pininfarina, and personally I dont like those jutting tail-lights with a 4 inch kink below them, looks odd and too sharp, the Tata Altroz dashboard is a clean copy of the Elite i20.

Martin Uhlarik has work experience in Skoda, Nissan and SAIC prior to Tata, I trust him to bring in a true European look to Tata motors going forward. I think it's a step forward in the right direction for Tata, they should bring in the Europeans for everything henceforth. Can't wait to see the next generation of Tata cars.
dark.knight is offline   (113) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:34   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Found him a tad overrated
Exactly same opinion.

Other than the Tiago as a whole, and the rear of Hexa and Harrier, nothing he could produce was up to my personal taste - but then, the design is subject to be subjective!

Although he gave some decent and elegant designs, but there is an entire team behind every implementation. If the right people are still seated in the studios with their equipment in hand, only getting someone from Europe will solve the issues. No doubt he was good, but better can be hired too!

They should get someone from Europe now, Europeans are really good in making elegant and timeless designs.

Last edited by VKumar : 29th April 2021 at 10:37.
VKumar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Official announcement:

Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!-1.jpg

Martin Uhlarik announced as the new Global Design Head of Tata Motors

Designer Pratap Bose quits Tata Motors. EDIT: To join Mahindra!-press29apr21lowres.jpg

Quote:
Tata Motors announces that Mr. Martin Uhlarik has been appointed as the new Global Design Head of the company.

Mr. Uhlarik was till recently Head of Design for Tata Motors European Technical Centre (TMETC) and takes over his new role from Mr. Pratap Bose who has chosen to pursue opportunities outside the company. Over the course of his 27-year career Mr. Uhlarik has been involved in the design of successful nameplates with leading global OEMs. Since joining Tata Motors in 2016 as Head of Design, UK, he has led the development of the Impact 3 generation of vehicles.

Mr. Guenter Butschek, CEO & MD, Tata Motors, said, “I am delighted to announce the appointment of Martin Uhlarik as the new Global Design Head of Tata Motors. Martin is an experienced automobile designer with deep domain knowledge of design, keen understanding of international trends and extensive operational experience with leading automobile companies in several geographies. His rich experience and expertise will inspire our teams to further enhance our vehicle design philosophy and language. I take this opportunity to also thank Pratap for his services and wish him the best for the future.”

Mr Uhlarik will continue to operate from TMETC in the UK. He will lead teams in the three Tata Motors Design centres in Coventry (UK), Turin (Italy) and Pune (India). He will report into Mr. Shailesh Chandra, President, Passenger Vehicle Business Unit, Tata Motors.

Mr Uhlarik has a degree in Industrial Design from the Ontario College of Art and Design University in Toronto, Canada in 1993 and a degree in Transportation Design from Art Center College of Design in Vevey, Switzerland in 1994.

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th April 2021 at 10:44.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

No matter what some say about Pratap Bose, the fact is that he is the one who brought TATA cars back to life, design wise.
HammerHead is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:48   #11
BHPian

I think that Pratap Bose obviously wasn't the only person responsible for the change in Tata's design language. They have 3 design studios, one in India and the other two in UK and Italy. All new designs were collaborative efforts of all three design teams. For example, the H5X and the HBX concepts were designed by the Italy design team. The newly appointed design head, Martin Uhlarik, too has been heading the UK design studio from 5 years now. High hopes from him and his team.
udaikalra01 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 11:02   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The gentleman has some sort of charisma, halo about him. His eccentric approach on social media, yet his very active presence on it made him a favourite of masses. His interesting tastes like scale model plane kits and collections - won (and will continue to win) him fans (me included) that not everyone gets.

His contribution to the turn around at TaMo over the last 1.5 decade definitely has been invaluable. This change I was actually expecting since a couple of years to be honest. In design - its always beneficial for the designer as well as the organization to have a churn. Otherwise things start looking alike after a while since there is no change of scenery for anyone. This means - if the designs are not to the liking of some people (and its always the case) - all the cars start to appear not likable for that set of people. Thus - losing target customers for a while! I for example - Don't like the rear of the 2020 Nexon, and the Harrier at all. It was becoming a trend too.

Such a reset is great for both. And if anyone thinks that it was all just Pratap Bose - then that is wrong too. We can safely assume that the team on the ground that remains under new leadership has all the magic that is needed to remain on this improved path recently picked by TaMo. Let's see which company now has the good fortune of working with this exciting design personality!

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th April 2021 at 11:04.
Reinhard is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 11:10   #13
BHPian

What's with the MD position? I thought this is one with Business acumen and leaning towards strategy and operations. How does a star from a functional group (like design, HR, engineering) can be a natural fit? Am I old school here?

His designs - I liked the facelift versions of Tiago, Nexon and Harrier. Should I take that he/the design team didn't get it right the first time?

Tata: While Individual is important but this organisation will outlive the 'legends' it has created/seen.
Thilak29 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 11:24   #14

Hope Martin will take the design of Tata motors to next level. We may get some clean European designs from tata motors
Old 29th April 2021, 11:27   #15
BHPian

An organization is much more than just one or two posterboys. There would be full fledged transition process in place and legacy will be carried on. After all how many of us work in an organization for more than 14 years? Let us chill and move on.
vinodvayyat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks