Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2021, 20:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers

Re-registration rules proposed to be made simpler for passenger vehicles, while re-locating from one state to another.

As per Gazette notification issued today, re-registration of vehicles relocating from one state to another is being made simpler. The new system of vehicle registration will be available on pilot test mode for defence personnel, Central/State Govt employees, Central PSUs and private sector companies with offices in five or more States/UTs. This will be a very welcome move but need to understand the actual formalities before we can rejoice.

Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers-20210428_202928.jpg

Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers-20210428_202930.jpg

Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers-20210428_202934.jpg

Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers-20210428_202938.jpg

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Re-registration rules proposed to be made simpler for passenger vehicles, while re-locating from one state to another.
More details here. Such vehicles would be issued IN series numbers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf https___pib.gov.in_PressReleasePage.aspx_PRID=1714704.pdf (36.6 KB, 667 views)

Last edited by Sheel : 29th April 2021 at 13:10. Reason: Back to back posts.
BoneCollector is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Cost for transfer of registration from one State/Place to another

Need of the hour! The existing rules have created a separate hell for IT guys who have to relocate every 3/4 years between cities. The headaches are so much worrisome, I have seen a lot of people sell their old vehicle and buy a new vehicle in their new home.

The police problems are worth a separate post altogether. Even when out-of-state vehicles are allowed for 12 months, administrations in various states maintain their own time period.

This needs to be implemented ASAP, please!
RoadAtlas is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 13:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like they realised that a unified system would never take place with the states' support. And found a way to bypass the system for interstate user's grievances.

But the tax to be paid every two years is confusing. The tax rates look exactly the same as in Kerala, but then that is for 15 years. Or is the tax taken at 15 years value, but divided into two years installment? That would be much preferred.

Also this should have been available for every citizen. The defense personnels and government employees will anyway whip up their ID cards. The restriction that employees of private companies with presence in five or more states/UT can only use this facility is just stupid. What if the organization is present only in two or three states?

Dreams of a unified system dashed away , guess these plates will become a status symbol kinda stuff, cooler and way powerful than the current status symbol (EVs' green plates)

Last edited by DicKy : 29th April 2021 at 13:30.
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 14:41   #4
BHPian

This shows the road tax for both 15 years as well as 2 years.

So do we need to pay the 15 year road tax once during registration and 2 year road tax in intervals thereafter?

Or do we pay only in 2 year intervals?

Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers-inplates.jpg
Old 29th April 2021, 14:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Different rates for 2 and 15 years. If you are in a transferable job you can pay every two years I guess.

Else take a IN number and pay life tax on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Looks like they realised that a unified system would never take place with the states' support. And found a way to bypass the system for interstate user's grievances.

But the tax to be paid every two years is confusing. The tax rates look exactly the same as in Kerala, but then that is for 15 years. Or is the tax taken at 15 years value, but divided into two years installment? That would be much preferred.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 15:33   #6
BHPian

Idea seems good to reduce burden for people with transferrable jobs and this will lower new vehicle cost when we choose to pay for 2 years instead of paying for 15 years upfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
guess these plates will become a status symbol kinda stuff, cooler and way powerful than the current status symbol
On a lighter note, traffic cops will be on the lookout for IN number plate for payment of road tax!
jeygani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:38   #7
BHPian

Government considers ‘IN’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Government of India (MoRTH) has proposed a new 'IN' registration series to ease the process of re-registering cars from one state to another.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...084pf77x2DAqBI
vvivek85 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 17:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers

If this comes in, then does it mean a two tier registration process ? The State specific series continues as it is currently. And the IN series for specified categories.

But what about people who are on transferable jobs ?

A better option would be to bring parity in the road tax across all states.
Old 29th April 2021, 17:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

re: Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers

I think when a person decides to buy a vehicle, he will not have clarity on where he would be based after, say 5 years. People decide to purchase a big vehicle (car) only after they settle in a job and get married, to stay in a state for long term.

In some cases, calculation goes wrong and people get transfers or decide to move out of the state.

So, speculating all these scenarios when purchasing vehicle would be difficult.

And, it turns out to be loss if one has to pay tax every 2 years as compared to one time LTT for a given vehicle.

Given all these scenarios, in my view, people opting for IN series registration would be very less percentage.

But, since data is not available on both approaches(current approach and IN Series approach), we may need to wait and see whether this is a feature for owners or Avenue for government to earn more tax.

My only wish is, this should not become an avenue for either agents near the RTO OR the dealership to earn more by exploiting owners

Last edited by gkveda : 29th April 2021 at 17:37.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 17:57   #10
BHPian

The draft notification for everyone’s reference.

It makes a lot of sense for people like me who are guaranteed to move every 2-3 years, atleast there will be a clear rule regarding move between states. But we armed forces personnel will lose out on the option of registering our vehicles in states where the tax is low, a lot of us do that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GSR 276(E) dt 06 April 2021 IN Series .pdf (1.59 MB, 297 views)

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2021 at 21:22. Reason: Attachement tag deleted
docsinghal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 18:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

re: Relocating? Re-registration rules proposed to be made simpler for cars

Personal vehicles could be registered under India (IN) series - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 18:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

This will be useful for someone who has a transferable job or say for some expensive cars where RTO charges are high and people are not likely to keep it for an extended time, from the draft, rough calculations for a car costing 10 Lac, Tax amount for 2-Year period will be

Tax Amount as per slab - 10 lac X10% = 1 lac

Formula - 1Lac X 1,25 x 2 / 15 = Rs 16,666 per 2 Years.

Government considers ‘BH’ registration series to ease interstate vehicle transfers-image_20210429_184503.png

Not bad, I will say.

Will interest to see if the Government reduces the Basic value in the next Years as the car depreciates
Turbanator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This will be useful for someone who has a transferable job or say for some expensive cars where RTO charges are high and people are not likely to keep it for an extended time

Not bad, I will say.

Sorry but I am a bit confused, could you break it down for us ? Does that mean every 2 years we have to keep re-paying the registration charges ? Also I dont think this benefits individuals who are moving around the country in their own businesses or self employed individuals, does it ?
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Sorry but I am a bit confused, could you break it down for us ? Does that mean every 2 years we have to keep re-paying the registration charges ? Also I dont think this benefits individuals who are moving around the country in their own businesses or self employed individuals, does it ?
It's simple, they have drafted the formula and proposed the slabs. The example given by me above is for a Rs 10 Lac car which will come under the 10% slab. Rs 16K amount is for 2 Years.

It will be beneficial for persons who may move to other states due to any reasons and those states do not encourage outside state vehicles. Up here in North, this is not the case but for someone who changes his ride often, this will be very useful.

You don't need to pay the full amount and this can catch up with luxury car buyers.

Overall, the idea is great in my opinion and hope that this becomes a law
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 20:11   #15
BHPian

re: Relocating? Re-registration rules proposed to be made simpler for cars

This is great news!!! I am from Bengaluru and work for an private firm with more than 5 offices in India. Do I need to pay only 12% Road tax for say Fortuner? That will be considerable savings over the regular KA road tax.
pk1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks