Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2021, 09:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
No offence to your enthusiasm, but, weird does not sell in India.

Rather than this, they could simply launch the Jimny.
On the funny side, if an ugly car like S-Presso can sell like a hot cake then why not this weirdo. Like Mr. Bhargava from Maruti has said, they can sell anything which they produce. So you never know.

However, having said that IMO this looks cute than weird and it can be an instant hit among ladies and also especially among people who are looking for beater car for doing city errands.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 10:40   #17
BHPian

Re: Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?

I think its way too Japanese to work anywhere else in the world.
With no offence to the Japanese culture, they are bit different, let's say.

The Indian sensibilities will most likely not respond to this. Plus MSIL already has so many small cars in its portfolio. I don't think it will be an easy job to shoehorn this vehicle in.
Old 4th May 2021, 10:59   #18
BHPian

This one has received mixed reactions to it, agreed.

But just think about it, it looks like a perfect go kart and I'm sure it would handle like a go kart too. If launched in India, this could become the poor man's track day vehicle. With the dearth of cheap and fun track day vehicles(not everyone can afford a Polo TSI), this could just be the package that we need. Also considering the factor that its a Maruti, servicing and parts will be cheap.

And since this is a JDM, it would be mod friendly too.
SenPai_GTi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 14:43   #19
BHPian

It’s nice and funky!

I have always liked the idea of retro styled hatchbacks. Pair it with the nice K10 engine or the K12 and you have yourself a retro pocket-rocket, something that would truly standout from the crowd.

Kei cars are a huge hit in Japan and I’ve always wondered why don’t we have them here in India. As for the concerns regarding the sales figures of such car, I think it’s pretty evident now that we Indians don’t have a problem with quirky designs (S-Presso, Creta, Ignis etc.).

My only concern is where would Maruti position this in the current lineup?

P.S: Also, is it weird that I already figured it’ll be a Nexa product if it ever comes to our shores?
Mat095 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 15:42   #20
BHPian

Japanese love Boxy design cars. During my visit official to Japan I observed that cars (mainly Hatchbacks) in Japan are Boxy + Cartoonish (looks).
These cars are called as "Kei" cars in Japan and offer very good utility in terms of space because of boxy design.

Their day to day lifestyle (signs/hoardings/safety instructions/daily use items) involve so much animated/cartoon depiction and is reflected in Kei car designs as well.
However such cars will not attract customers in India because Indians prefer more simplistic/mature/sober/masculine looks in the cars.

Please refer the website (https://www.daihatsu.com/company/car_model/car_jp.html) of one of the Japanese car company DAIHATSU. Most of the DAIHATSU cars look like this (boxy/cartoonistic).
FYI, Few Indian cars have some (not exactly) reflection of typical Japanese car Eg Wagon R & S-Presso, Fiat 500 etc.
Apex1815 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 19:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
This can be a welcome change to the current lineup of MSIL in India.
This can surely be a welcome change to MSIL's current lineup. But what would be the market this model is to address? In this size, it cannot aim for anything beyond the "Kitna Deti Hain" market. In other words, if this is to address the Alto, S-Presso, and even Celerio market, then sure. But will it garner enough numbers to justify launching it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
The problem with our market is, we expect such a small car to sell cheap.

Very few of us would love to see such a form factor with say 1.2K series (and Auto, 4WD ??) and say goodies like ABS, 6 air bags, All 4 disc etc.

If they strip all that, we already have the Alto 800 which can meet the "kitna deti hai" criteria
Spot on!
Old 5th May 2021, 07:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

This is just one more of the Kei cars (under 660cc small cars) - a quirk that is limited to Japan only. We Indians have our sub 4m cars!

Barring Nano/Reva/E2O, India hasn’t seen a small car (Kei car equivalent) in 4 decades of Suzuki. Highly doubt this’ll come to India in 2021 when the market wants to everyone wants a bigger car. Besides, I doubt it can make it up some steep roads in Bangalore.
Old 5th May 2021, 13:32   #23
BHPian

Awesome looking car. It can eat the Mini's (minuscule) market for breakfast.
vishwas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 03:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
a Japan exclusive model called Lapin Mode, an hatchback with a retro design
The shape and looks remind me of ORA R1, which was showcased at the 2020 Auto Expo.
Attached Thumbnails
Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?-7695_132_greatwallmotororar11066461.jpg  

ankit.livedrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 11:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's small, cute and a hit with the ladies in Japan. Knowing how Maruti doesn't mind overlapping its own products, I don't see why not. Further, with all cheap hatchbacks becoming more or less the same (engine size, dimensions, interior space, equipment), the need to differentiate is important. Maruti even patented it in India.
So, this model may have a chance to appear in India, for filing a patent shows intent.

One of my obsession back in 2000s was Lancer EVO Wagon.
My naive self even called a dealership regarding import procedures
Mitsubishi did itself a great injustice by diluting the Lancer brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?-mitsubishilancerevolutionwagon2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks